Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
My 09 Murano is making a roaring noise in the rear. At low speed it not loud but there as i go faster it gets louder. I recently replaces both front wheel bearings. The sound sounds like 2 gears (NOT grinding) but rubbing together and as i go faster it gets louder. I haven't replaced the rear differential gear oil yet, thinking that may be the problem. I'm tiring to narrow down the problem.
Has anyone heard such a noise and know where it's coming from?
Thanks all

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hello All
My 09 Murano is making a roaring noise in the rear. At low speed it not loud but there as i go faster it gets louder. I recently replaces both front wheel bearings. The sound sounds like 2 gears (NOT grinding) but rubbing together and as i go faster it gets louder. I haven't replaced the rear differential gear oil yet, thinking that may be the problem. I'm tiring to narrow down the problem.
Has anyone heard such a noise and know where it's coming from?
Thanks all
Look around the rear differential for leaking fluid. If you don't find anything then that's probably not the problem.

It could also be bad rear wheel bearing(s) or even tire noise. Rotate the rear tires to the front and see if the noise travels. To check the wheel bearings, put the back of the car up on jack stands and spin each tire as fast as you can and listen for noise. You can also hold the coil spring while doing this as you'll feel the vibration from a bad wheel bearing.

BTW...How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look around the rear differential for leaking fluid. If you don't find anything then that's probably not the problem.

It could also be bad rear wheel bearing(s) or even tire noise. Rotate the rear tires to the front and see if the noise travels. To check the wheel bearings, put the back of the car up on jack stands and spin each tire as fast as you can and listen for noise. You can also hold the coil spring while doing this as you'll feel the vibration from a bad wheel bearing.

BTW...How many miles on the car?
189000 I replaced bad front wheel bearings already. but do as you recommend today
Thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just changed the rear differential gear oil, the oil was golden brown the drain plug had i think normal micro metal stuck to it. I drove for approx. 10 miles after refill and still heard the roaring noise it's the right rear side. The only thing left is the wheel bearing or tire noise i guess. I do have 189000 k miles on the car. Tomorrow the rear wheel comes off to check.
Thank you all for your comments ill keep you informed!

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
Most likely rear wheel hub or CVT joint.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most likely rear wheel hub or CVT joint.
Thank you new hubs are on the way! I believe their overdue the front were failing.
I really lucked out when I bought this maurano, it belonged to a mechanic that worked at a Nissan dealership. It was his wife's car. It's been well maintained .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts