Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need Help!

Went in to get my tires rotated at tire shop and they said my rear shocks were leaking and blown. Since it was there and dealt with them for years told told to go ahead and change out with Genuine Nissan Parts. Picked the car up and 30 minutes later car was bouncing up and down like crazy after whenever I hit a bump. I went back next morning and and show it to them and they said shocks were blown again. They suggested trying after market shocks and switch out the next day. They test drove it and said after 10 minutes the shocks were blown out again. They check everything and said didn't understand it. They refunded me my money and said bring it to a Nissan Dealership.

The Nissan Dealership said they checked it and can't see any reason why this is happening as everything looks fine with installation, mounts, front shocks, etc.

Murano has 120,000 miles on it. Both rear shocks keep blowing out.

Anybody run into this before? Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Did both shocks fail?

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Very odd.....since rear shocks are so easy to replace, why not get a pair from autozone--gabriels-- and try that one. Install it yourself. I think its only held up by 3 bolts per side. And see how it goes.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Not sure I'd trust the place I was going to then. I've never heard of shocks "blowing out" within days, let alone both at the same time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is SHOCKING:cursin::blingblin

If I were you, I would go to another Nissan Dealer, It just doesn't make sense. Did you check your tire pressure, if full blown, you will get a bouncy drive.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
There is nothing complicated about a shock absorber. It is a mature technology. I can understand a single shock failing due to a manufacturing defect, but for two to fail, on the same vehicle, within 30 miles of installation, is an extremely unlikely event.

My guess would be either the installation was done improperly or the mounting points are not to spec. Was your MO ever involved in a rear-end accident?

-njjoe

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Something isn't right. But now that you've paid for the installation, it makes sense to work with that shop to get it right. How are they telling that the shocks are "blown"? I've never heard the term used in connection with shocks. Are they leaking immediately?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for your help guys!

My car has never been in an accident of any kind.

All three times that said the shocks are leaking.

The company that replaced them twice refunded me my money And paid for a rental car for a day. They really are a good bunch of guys and work on my car for minor repairs the last two years. They just didn't know what else to do so give up and told me to take it to Nissan.

Now it is at the Nissan dealership. Nissan's first inspection by a mechanic yesterday turned up nothing wrong with the Installation or anything else. They are going to have one of their certified guys check it out tomorrow as they are off on the weekend.

If ya'll can think of anything I might pass along to them I would appreciate it.

I will let you know what they say.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I wish I had an idea, but aside from improper alignment due to an accident, I got nuttin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bad batch of shocks. It happens. that is the only time ive seen something like this happen.

you made it to 120k on the stock parts, which is pretty good. Since then, youve blown 3 sets in rapid succession. I dont know who makes the OE shocks, but it could easily be the same folks who make the aftermarkets you tried. the Industry is pretty inbred like that. Titan has Visteon (ford) lights and a Delphi (GM ) BCM for example.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But what are the chances of both the first replacement shocks made by Nissan and the second Set being an aftermarket shock being bad?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just heard back from Nissan and they said the rear recoil springs were bad and causing the shocks to blow and leak. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Cost to replace springs and shocks: $1,043,00 - not much choice at this point so told them to go ahead with it.

Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I highly doubt that your rear coil springs are bad. A 3 year old car very seldom get this problem unless it was in an accident or tows everyday from day 1. And what do they mean by bad anyways? A break in the coil itself? And do they mean both left and right side are bad? I think your better move would have been replacing your rear shocks yourself with a cheap autozone--gabriels--<100 a pair-- just to see if you just got a bad luck on the first 2. If it breaks again you can just return it and get your money back. At this point atleast you can say that there is something more to the issue and then you can try replacing the springs. Changing the spring is also fairly easy. Oem is about 160/side online. Good luck. You can do that yourself too. Why pay 1000 bucks. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They are raking you on the install! Wow. Thats expensive. I bought my car with 57k and the rear shocks were bad. Replaced them and less than 1k miles the other set went bad. Nissan dealer replaced them free both times. I talk to the tech guys and looked through the parts and saw that the Cabriolet models use the same mounting for the shocks. I may eventually replace with H&R springs and go with cabriolet shocks as they would be a little heavier duty with the added loading due to the ride being lower. Maybe something to look into IF H&R ever decide to finish 'testing' on these springs.

I almost think its more of a spring problem than shock now that I have read your issues. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the new shocks and springs installed and so far no
Problems. The car does look to be sitting higher so
it seems it was the springs. I will let y'all know if anything
Changes.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good to hear that. If everything works out fine, it was worth the money spent:29:

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Stainless Bumper
Weathertechs
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
i have a 05' murano and it does not have spring coil on the rear shocks, AM I MISSING something here...........:confused:
No, your MO is not missing anything.

The MO has a coil spring rear suspension. That is different from having a "Coilover" (coil spring over strut) suspension, which is what you are describing.

The MO's rear suspension looks like this:

not this:

I hope this helps.

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts