Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The shock absorber is a bit of a misnomer because the job of the shock is for rebound control, not to actually absorb the shock (that is the job of the spring). If you have a cracked spring, or one that is mis-seated, it will put stress on the shock to actually "absorb" bumps, which is it not designed to do. It is unusual to have three sets fail, so I can certainly buy the broken spring idea.

As for installation, I'd expect at least 2 hours labor along with an alignment fee cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Murano Blown Shocks 3 times now and going in for a 4th

I purchased this Murano on January 16, 2016. Before we even had it 2 weeks the shocks were blown. They replaced both rear shocks by Mid February. We took them in again in March for the second time replacing and demanded a new vehicle (which was not an option as I loved this vehicle and nothing else on the lot compared) or further diagnostic of the issue to determine what else could be the case. They simply said it was probably a defective part, apologized and replaced again. Now I just dropped off my vehicle a week ago and picked it up a couple days ago and we're going on to our 4th time replacing these shocks. I'm fuming. I will definitely try talking to them about the coil you mentioned but I'd like to know if you've had any further issues. Keep me posted!

·
Registered
147 Posts
It makes sense that if the coils/springs are bad, that it would blow out the shocks. Similar to people who lower their cars with aftermarket springs or even cutting their stock springs, usually leads to the shocks blowing out. I'm thinking the coils are really bad, maybe they sagged so much or gone totally limp or something, and with the tremendous weight from our SUV, its killing the shocks. So the coils is the cause of all this headaches!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Need Help!

Went in to get my tires rotated at tire shop and they said my rear shocks were leaking and blown. Since it was there and dealt with them for years told told to go ahead and change out with Genuine Nissan Parts. Picked the car up and 30 minutes later car was bouncing up and down like crazy after whenever I hit a bump. I went back next morning and and show it to them and they said shocks were blown again. They suggested trying after market shocks and switch out the next day. They test drove it and said after 10 minutes the shocks were blown out again. They check everything and said didn't understand it. They refunded me my money and said bring it to a Nissan Dealership.

The Nissan Dealership said they checked it and can't see any reason why this is happening as everything looks fine with installation, mounts, front shocks, etc.

Murano has 120,000 miles on it. Both rear shocks keep blowing out.

Anybody run into this before? Any suggestions or ideas?
What did you replace them with? Talking to brother he said KYB or OEM's are likely the best way to go, but to stay away from Manore (sp?).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need Help!

Went in to get my tires rotated at tire shop and they said my rear shocks were leaking and blown. Since it was there and dealt with them for years told told to go ahead and change out with Genuine Nissan Parts. Picked the car up and 30 minutes later car was bouncing up and down like crazy after whenever I hit a bump. I went back next morning and and show it to them and they said shocks were blown again. They suggested trying after market shocks and switch out the next day. They test drove it and said after 10 minutes the shocks were blown out again. They check everything and said didn't understand it. They refunded me my money and said bring it to a Nissan Dealership.

The Nissan Dealership said they checked it and can't see any reason why this is happening as everything looks fine with installation, mounts, front shocks, etc.

Murano has 120,000 miles on it. Both rear shocks keep blowing out.

Anybody run into this before? Any suggestions or ideas?
I have also run into this problem although recently. The mechanics found that my shocks were leaking. Had them replaced. Not 6000 km later, they are leaking again! I thought that this was really shocking (haha) because they are rated to last 80,000 km. One thing I have noticed since day one is that when it does go over bumps (I mean a small, crack in the asphalt, train tracks etc) I can feel the back end shifts in a sideways motion. This motion could easily explain why the shocks keep blowing out. The question is, why does this happen? Faulty suspension design??? I have never felt this motion in any other vehicle I have driven. I have driven or owned many different vehicles in my lifetime to know this shifting motion is not "normal". I drive a 2012 Nissan Murano LE.
Regards,
Dawn

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I have also run into this problem although recently. The mechanics found that my shocks were leaking. Had them replaced. Not 6000 km later, they are leaking again! I thought that this was really shocking (haha) because they are rated to last 80,000 km. One thing I have noticed since day one is that when it does go over bumps (I mean a small, crack in the asphalt, train tracks etc) I can feel the back end shifts in a sideways motion. This motion could easily explain why the shocks keep blowing out. The question is, why does this happen? Faulty suspension design??? I have never felt this motion in any other vehicle I have driven. I have driven or owned many different vehicles in my lifetime to know this shifting motion is not "normal". I drive a 2012 Nissan Murano LE.
Regards,
Dawn
The original thread was started about 8 years ago, and the most recent post before yours was 3 years back, so this is an unusual occurrence. There are other threads mentioning the sideways motion you describe, as it has been discussed here before. It seems to be a more common problem.

I can only suggest searching for threads talking about a sideways movement. I don't recall anything specific about the problem.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts