Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Murano sat for a year. When I drove it tonight I could feel a bad thumping coming from I believe the rear end. The rotors look rusted. The reason it sat is it was making a thumping feeling when I turned slowly left or right but nothing when going straight, then I was in a motorcycle accident and was unable to walk for a long time. The battery was dead and so I charged the battery and it started no problem the motor sounds fine. I didn't feel the thumping reversing just when I was going forward and worse when I went faster. So if coarse I turned around and brought it home.
Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
Your tires may have developed flat spots. Depending on what direction and material the car was parked can give you a clue if that's the issue.

If the rear of the car was facing south and parked on blacktop for a year without moving, they probably got extremely hot in the sun and settled, creating a flat spot over time. Rotate the back tires to the front and see if the thump is in the front now.

If so, you'll need to replace your tires, if AWD, then you'll need to replace all four tires.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

PS The original thump you're talking about in the beginning of your post might be a CV shaft going bad. Several posts here about that issue and how to diagnose.

• Helpful
Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info,. I can deal with getting tires,. I thought maybe mo serious problem with something expensive but I couldn't understand why something would go bad major from not moving. Thanks for your reply!!!

·
Administrator
9,990 Posts
Thank you for the info,. I can deal with getting tires,. I thought maybe mo serious problem with something expensive but I couldn't understand why something would go bad major from not moving. Thanks for your reply!!!
Drive it for a while before buying new tires. Flat spots will often disappear after enough driving to heat up the tires. But given the artic blast over much of the US, this may not be a good plan for today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2009 Murano sat for a year. When I drove it tonight I could feel a bad thumping coming from I believe the rear end. The rotors look rusted. The reason it sat is it was making a thumping feeling when I turned slowly left or right but nothing when going straight, then I was in a motorcycle accident and was unable to walk for a long time. The battery was dead and so I charged the battery and it started no problem the motor sounds fine. I didn't feel the thumping reversing just when I was going forward and worse when I went faster. So if coarse I turned around and brought it home.
Any ideas?
Is your rear calipers are seast I had the same problem and it cost me $849 dollars to replace them and I don't get a thump any more good luck

·
Administrator
9,990 Posts
I suggest you do more diagnosis before assuming it's the breaks. I've never run into a brake issue that created a "thump."

The exception would be if the rotors are frozen in place and letting go momentarily, then locking again.

That's easy to check - put the back end in the air (following safe procedures for lifting the vehicle) shift to neutral and try rotating the rear wheels manually.

Or have it flat-bedded to an independent shop and have them check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts