Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. 2009 Murano SL with 170K on the odometer. We had transmission work done in 2018 - I think it was a reman. My son has the car at college in Maine and called saying it wouldn't move when placed in drive or reverse when attempting to start the car and head home for the holiday break. He usually drives the car every day short distances with the occasional 6 hour back and forth from home to school.

My wife picked him up today and since I couldn't make the trip, I sent an ODB scanner and some tools for him to do some diagnostics before coming home with her.

ODB scan returned (1) code - P0507. Oil check was fine. In Park, the engine will rev with increase in RPMs observed. I asked him to run the car for 10 minutes and walked him through checking the transmission fluid level with car running. He reported it was below the bottom notch (so not even on the crosshatch). After some further questioning, he reported that he was experiencing issues lately where the car was having intermittent issues when starting from a stop or driving through turns where the car wouldn't accelerate.

Some questions to help me prepare for when I bring him back to school after Thanksgiving and look at it myself.

Can I trust results of the fluid check (aside from a college kid doing it) based on running 10 minutes?

Would CVT codes get passed through ODB scans or would I need to borrow a more capable scanner?

I welcome any feedback and input.
Thanks!
Nick

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Most scanners cannot read Nissan CVT error codes. The Android app can, and is highly recommended:

Regarding the P0507 code, this may require an idle relearn procedure to be performed. I would carefully inspect the engine air intake duct for holes, it's a common problem. Also, maybe clean the MAF (mass airflow sensor) WITH MAF cleaner. Using any other cleaner may be problematic...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Thanks. I borrowed a friend's Autel scanner so should be able to pull any specific Nissan codes.
I would check to be sure if you want to see if your Murano has any Nissan CVT error codes...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have a 2006 Pathfinder in the driveway so I will verify this evening.
If your Pathfinder doesn't have an CVT error codes, how will you know if the scanner can read them?

What model is the Autel scanner? I can help you check if it supports Nissan CVT codes, there should be clear information regarding this on their website if it does...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
This ELM327 adapter should work:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I purchased the app and have it loaded on a couple of Android devices. The ELM327 adapter also arrived yesterday so should be good to go when I bring him back to school Friday or Saturday. It would be nice to find a vehicle to test the scanner out on before I go so I'll see if anyone around has one.

So, I could use a little help with my plan of attack when I get to the car. I'm thinking I would start the car and warm it up and use the CVTz50 app to check for CVT codes. I would check transmission fluid level once engine is warmed up and see the level for myself. If it truly is low, then would it be safe to add NS2 fluid to bring the level back up? Seemingly basic questions, but I just don't know these transmissions well and have read about the risk of overfilling...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Also, make sure that when you shift gears the desired gear is being displayed on the dashboard. If filling up the oil (assuming it's way too low) has no effect on being able to get the car to move, my next step would be to drain the oil pan, stick a bore scope through the drain hole and look for pieces of the belt.

This is a crappy thing to have to deal with on a Thanksgiving weekend so I hope luck falls your way.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys. I am pleased to report that aside from a few minor challenges, I was able to identify and fix the problem. I left early Saturday morning for Maine at 4:00 AM EST and it took about 5.5 hours. We drove through snow, but the drive was easy. I was armed with 5 quarts of NS2 and a Android table with CVTz50 app, and bluetooth odbii adapter.

Once the car was running, I checked the tranny fluid and it didn't register on the stick. I connected the odbii adpater and was able to pair it with the Android, however I was unable to connect - I kept receiving the following message when initializing ELM327 - initialization timeout (received: ATZ OBDII v1.5 >"). So it appears I bought a cheap bluetooth adapter that didn't meet the specs of being v1.4 - 1.5.

When that didn't work I started adding NS2 fluid. After second quart I got down on the ground to check for leaks and found fluid dumping on the ground at the front of the car. I had brought a good quality light with me and when I was laying on the ground I noticed there appeared to be a hose missing on a barb and a hose laying disconnected. Once I removed the inner wheel well panel, I could see it more clearly. The top hose was disconnected from the filter. A trip to the local auto parts store for a clamp and then over to the dealer for some more fluid and we were in business. I added 6.5 quarts and got a nice reading on the dipstick. We then took the car for some progressively longer test rides and it seemed to be working great. Thanks again for the advice/help.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Gas Auto part

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hi guys. I am pleased to report that aside from a few minor challenges, I was able to identify and fix the problem. I left early Saturday morning for Maine at 4:00 AM EST and it took about 5.5 hours. We drove through snow, but the drive was easy. I was armed with 5 quarts of NS2 and a Android table with CVTz50 app, and bluetooth odbii adapter.

Once the car was running, I checked the tranny fluid and it didn't register on the stick. I connected the odbii adpater and was able to pair it with the Android, however I was unable to connect - I kept receiving the following message when initializing ELM327 - initialization timeout (received: ATZ OBDII v1.5 >"). So it appears I bought a cheap bluetooth adapter that didn't meet the specs of being v1.4 - 1.5.

When that didn't work I started adding NS2 fluid. After second quart I got down on the ground to check for leaks and found fluid dumping on the ground at the front of the car. I had brought a good quality light with me and when I was laying on the ground I noticed there appeared to be a hose missing on a barb and a hose laying disconnected. Once I removed the inner wheel well panel, I could see it more clearly. The top hose was disconnected from the filter. A trip to the local auto parts store for a clamp and then over to the dealer for some more fluid and we were in business. I added 6.5 quarts and got a nice reading on the dipstick. We then took the car for some progressively longer test rides and it seemed to be working great. Thanks again for the advice/help.
That's the outlet for the trans cooler that runs to the external filter. It looks like luck was on your side! Glad to hear it all worked out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts