Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few nights ago while driving home from a day trip about 45 minutes away, the car overheats and throws a SES alarm (solid not blinking). Temp was all the way up. I pulled over and let the car cool down for a while. Once the car cooled back down to normal operating temp, I started it back up, turned the heat on as high as it would go and drove a bit/stopped a bit to get the car the last 10 miles home.

The last few days, I've checked a few things and made some observations:
1) Driving at highway speeds with the heat full blast, the car can maintain normal op temp as long as it is on level or down hill.
2) The car doesn't seem to overheat at idle...I haven't let it go more than 10 minutes or so, but idle speed doesn't seem to affect it.
3) Radiator fans run both while the AC is on, and when the engine temp is elevated (without AC on).
4) Car seems to not run great when engine temp is elevated (maybe oil temp thing?)
5) Going uphill (even relatively slight grades) makes the engine heat up regardless of speed.
6) I'm not sensing a real loss in fluid, although the first night, I think some boiled out of the overflow before we realized what it was overheating. heard a sizzle sound.

I bought an OEM thermostat, ordered a aftermarket radiator and plan to drain the fluid and replace those two components first...

Could the P0868 code just be because the oil temp is elevated due to a cooling issue? Or is this causing the overheating issue?

Any advice? I have an appointment at a garage in a few days if I can't resolve the issue first. I will have them pressure test the system and clear the codes.

I noticed that most of the youtube videos are of the first gen muranos for the thermostat replacement, and the engine compartment has been reconfigured a bit. Wondering if anyone has had success replacing the thermostat on a 2nd gen without having to remove the motor mount and jack the engine up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Replace the Stat, A major pain... IIRC you need to remove the side cover plate for the Valves. Didn't have to Jack up the motor, had to feel my way around, the Braille method. I also replace the Radiator last year. What an F'n major pain. I had to remove the bracket & the battery to "re-arrange" other parts to get the Radiator out. It can be done, As long as you know its a big job.

I was having lots of problems overheating since I bought the car with 86K on the clock. Did a very through clean & flush. That helped for maybe a year or two. Since the new radiator, no issues. the car keep a 195 to 199 temp all the time.

BTW, I have one of those OBD scanners on my phone (torque). A real valuable tool, it can reset the trouble code also. I'm able to actually see what the temps really are. Not just a needle in the middle of a gauge.

If you have the cash, have a shop (that you trust) do the job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I am pretty PO'd that Nissan buried this radiator the way that they did on this gen as opposed to the first gen. The thermostat is also poorly designed to make removal very difficult. These are fairly common items to have to replace on a vehicle and to make them as difficult as they have is ridiculous.

Ok, enough complaining. When you removed the side valve cover, did you do that to make access to the thermostat screws easier or was it truly necessary? I imagine there is a gasket there that would need to be replaced...hate to get into all of that. I did see a somewhat shaky video done where it was taken off without removing that cover, but he also had the alternator & serpentine belt out as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I remember, Yes I did remove the cover plate to make it easier. I don't think there was an easier way. Again that was last year. (Ya know.... C.R.S.).
As for gaskets, yes a new one for the stat, the cover plate I was able to use the old one "OR" used a quality sealant. either way I have no leaks. While you have the Rad & stat out, flush the ever-luv'n Schn!tz out of it and the heater core If you can.

I totally agree with you about the PITA for maintenance items. I think the engineers and designers of some of the new cars. should be made to work on them. Without the convenience of a lift.

If you think the Rad is difficult, wait until you have to replace the Alternator. That was pathetically pain-full and difficult. It was like doing a Rubics cube to get everything lined up to remove & replace.

I don't remember well enough for a step by step. there was enough info "out-there" to give you a good idea of what do next. Plus a short term subscription to Alldata might help.

I wish you luck...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I drove it to a local mechanic last night, and it has been 90+ degrees this week and really humid. Drove it about 15 miles and no overheating. The mechanic called this morning and said he couldn't get it to overheat either, but said there is a TSB which recommends thermostat replacement and coolant temp sensor replacement to address intermittent overheating. Apparently, the sensor can start sending bad readings out and the fans do not always kick on. I'm a little skeptical that this is the case, but it's a relatively cheap way to start eliminating variables.

He also cautioned it could be a head gasket, but I'm hoping for the best.

We're starting with T-stat and sensor replacement, coolant flush, radiator scope first and going from there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well here it is April of 2021, My Murano now has over 186K and still going. As for over heating, Nope, Nadda, None!
As I posted back in 2018, still running 195 to 199, if & when over 205 the fans kick in full and it cools right down. I have seen this a few times Just at idle in a parking lot. And MPG 19 mixed, 25 highway (maybe a little More for true highway) and still on the same plugs from when i put them in at 85K... ya its time for new plugs.
AS a foot note
As I remember when I replace the Radiator. I do recall a rather large amount junk, crap, sludge came out of the old Rad. core. When I saw that I knew that was why it was overheating. NO FLUID WAS MOVING...
Good Luck.

Reactions: ValiantCM
1 - 7 of 7 Posts