Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm having acceleration issues. It just now seemed to be worse than before. Sometimes, before, my car would accelerate as though it was brand new (bought it used 7 months ago) however lately it's as if the car doesn't want to take off. White turning and accelerating its fine because I'm up to speed, but say I'm starting off at a red light or just warming up the car. I really have to push the gas pedal for it to move and even then it takes a minute for it to register how far I'm pushing before it responds and then I have to let off the gas a little bit.

There's also a slight but sudden jolt forward after taking my foot off the gas. And it feels like the engine is putting the brakes on. When I tap the gas very very lightly the acceleration kicks back up and everything gradually cruises while slowing to the speed I'm aiming for. It didn't do this when I first had it, but it's been going on for a couple months or so. Not sure if it's worn down parts, gunk buildup or what.

I haven't checked the throttle body or its associated sensor. I did recently have my brakes and rotors changed and i did notice the rust and gunk buildup and it was moderately cleaned. Didn't check calipers or bleed brakes. My rotors were also pretty bad (had grooves) and my pads were uneven (one side was just more worn down). The catalytic converter has been changed this year as well, though I used the old gasket because it didn't come with one and the person helping me didn't seem to want to take me to go get one..

NOTE: Emergency brake is OFF all the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Had similar issues with my used 2009 Murano SL AWD many years ago. (I'm the 2nd owner.) It would only repeatedly happen when I switched to Regular Octane gasoline. Once I returned to using the highest octane possible premium 93/94 grade, all horsepower returned. I experimented and found that you could use a 50/50 blend and the full V6 power would be there but MPG would suffer vs 100 percent premium gas. At least knowing this is possible in the economic times of 2020 should help stretch both wallet and tank of gas.

Conclusion from my experience, if you can afford premium gas your Murano will love you back. Good luck!

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
Hey there,

I'm having acceleration issues. It just now seemed to be worse than before. Sometimes, before, my car would accelerate as though it was brand new (bought it used 7 months ago) however lately it's as if the car doesn't want to take off. White turning and accelerating its fine because I'm up to speed, but say I'm starting off at a red light or just warming up the car. I really have to push the gas pedal for it to move and even then it takes a minute for it to register how far I'm pushing before it responds and then I have to let off the gas a little bit.
Are you saying it literally takes "a minute" from when you step on the accelerator pedal to when the car starts moving or is this hyperbole and you mean that there's a brief hesitation before the car starts to move? If the latter, a common problem in these cars that can cause hesitation symptoms is a tear/hole in the intake tubing running from the airbox to the throttle body so remove it and inspect it carefully.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

Had similar issues with my used 2009 Murano SL AWD many years ago. (I'm the 2nd owner.) It would only repeatedly happen when I switched to Regular Octane gasoline. Once I returned to using the highest octane possible premium 93/94 grade, all horsepower returned. I experimented and found that you could use a 50/50 blend and the full V6 power would be there but MPG would suffer vs 100 percent premium gas. At least knowing this is possible in the economic times of 2020 should help stretch both wallet and tank of gas.

Conclusion from my experience, if you can afford premium gas your Murano will love you back. Good luck!
Hmm the next time I fill up I suppose I'll try it. Always wondered if premium made a difference or not....I guess I will try that first. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying it literally takes "a minute" from when you step on the accelerator pedal to when the car starts moving or is this hyperbole and you mean that there's a brief hesitation before the car starts to move? If the latter, a common problem in these cars that can cause hesitation symptoms is a tear/hole in the intake tubing running from the airbox to the throttle body so remove it and inspect it carefully.
Lol no not literally a minute. Maybe just a few seconds. It will move but I have to push it pretty far before the gears operate correctly and it accelerates how I need it to. I will look into that, as well. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol no not literally a minute. Maybe just a few seconds. It will move but I have to push it pretty far before the gears operate correctly and it accelerates how I need it to. I will look into that, as well. Thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try stomping on the accelerator like a race car driver. My 2009 never would respond to gentle throttle inputs in an even and controlled manner.

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
To accelerate, nail the gas pedal to the floor, watch the revs climb to about 6,000 RPM. The engine will hold peak RPM while the speed continues to increase. Won't hurt anything if the engine is warm.

I agree with the note above, if you want to get strong acceleration, "put the boot to it."

And another note - there aren't any gears. That's not how CVTs work. If you'd like a good briefing, check for videos on how CVTs operate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just an update:

Premium gas makes a big difference (at least for me)! As far as flooring it, yeah that always doesn't work. I'll floor it like usual and it won't always have the same take off. I will say that having the engine "warmed up" does make a difference. For instance if I've been driving fast through the city in stop and go traffic, the acceleration is a lot better as opposed to when I cruise on by and then try and floor it. Idk still trying to get to know my Murano. Haven't even had the car for even a year yet so I'm still learning how, I guess I could say, it likes to be driven. So far with almost 300,000 miles can still push 100 for a good long minute with out hesistating or kicking back. Though when I got it I flushed out the old oils and fluids (except brake and power steering). We'll see. I love the car and still want to hold on to it until it's final day when all the tires fall off and the whole exhaust putts out it's last blow of smoke. 😇🥰🥰👏👏💞

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
So just an update:

Premium gas makes a big difference (at least for me)! As far as flooring it, yeah that always doesn't work. I'll floor it like usual and it won't always have the same take off. I will say that having the engine "warmed up" does make a difference. For instance if I've been driving fast through the city in stop and go traffic, the acceleration is a lot better as opposed to when I cruise on by and then try and floor it. Idk still trying to get to know my Murano. Haven't even had the car for even a year yet so I'm still learning how, I guess I could say, it likes to be driven. So far with almost 300,000 miles can still push 100 for a good long minute with out hesistating or kicking back. Though when I got it I flushed out the old oils and fluids (except brake and power steering). We'll see. I love the car and still want to hold on to it until it's final day when all the tires fall off and the whole exhaust putts out it's last blow of smoke. 😇🥰🥰👏👏💞
In your first post, you said you bought the car used about 7 months ago and it has almost 300,000 miles!?o_O

1 - 10 of 10 Posts