Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got up this morning (about 30 degrees, car out overnight), car started fine and I went to get gas. Left power on (no engine running) while I filled up. When I hit the start button, the starter whirred, the brake pedal was hard and different warning lights came on. Turned on inside lights, they flickered and I couldn't turn them off. Then could. At first, couldn't get it in neutral and then could. Could hear clicking like my turn signal was on but it wasn't. I pressed and held the key fob and different lights came on but still couldn't start. Variations of me trying things and different lights went on for little while. Had it towed to dealer and they are stumped. Battery is fine. But still dead in the water. Help!!!!

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
Pretty much what happened to me. Battery tested fine the first time, but then the next time it happened, the battery needed to be replaced. That ended my problems. If like me, you drive many short trips during the day, your battery is not being fully charged. Coupled with the shut-down draw of the car's electrical system and this same scenario continuing over time, your battery has weakened to the point where it just can't do the job. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with Red.
My wife doesn't put many miles on her Lexus, and I've just learned to accept the fact that a new battery will be required approximately every two years. Newer cars with all the toys are expecially hard on batteries, in my experience. It's not a Nissan thing, it's all the electronics we have come to expect.

I already have a calendar entry in my PC to replace the 2010 Murano's battery on its second anniversary :)

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
I'm actually running a little experiment with my new battery to see how long I can make it last. Based on my driving schedule, I've never had a battery last longer than three years. My 09 Murano battery was only two and a half years old when it caused the random non-start problems. Since I garage my Murano when it's not driven, I purchased one of those BatteryMINDer, smart chargers and mounted it on the wall right next to the car. Once or twice a week, I hook it up and let it do it's thing overnight. Besides switching to the maintenance mode when it should, it also conditions the battery by removing any sulphation on the lead plates. I have it hooked up with a small plug-in lead, so it only takes a second to plug or unplug the thing. This is not to say that when it gets to that 2-1/2 year point, I won't be putting the portable jump start battery back under the drivers seat. Take care!

Jim

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pretty much what happened to me. Battery tested fine the first time, but then the next time it happened, the battery needed to be replaced. That ended my problems. If like me, you drive many short trips during the day, your battery is not being fully charged. Coupled with the shut-down draw of the car's electrical system and this same scenario continuing over time, your battery has weakened to the point where it just can't do the job. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim
Add me to the list of the owners that needed a new battery after 2.5 years. The daily trips are 8 miles to work. My co-worker's wife got about the same with her 2008 Honda Accord and she too has a short drive to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having a similar issue with an 09 I just bought. The car died on my wife while she was trying to come home. When I checked under the hood the positive battery terminal and fuse were corroded and damaged. I replaced the battery then I replaced both the terminal and fuse. Now the car has power but nothing happens expect the dash lights and the fan comes on. I am in desperate need of help. I have had this car less than a week. Does anybody know what could be wrong?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am having a similar issue with an 09 I just bought. The car died on my wife while she was trying to come home. When I checked under the hood the positive battery terminal and fuse were corroded and damaged. I replaced the battery then I replaced both the terminal and fuse. Now the car has power but nothing happens expect the dash lights and the fan comes on. I am in desperate need of help. I have had this car less than a week. Does anybody know what could be wrong?
When you say "nothing happens", do you mean the car appears to have power (e.g. interior lights, A/C, headlights etc. work) but when you push the start button it doesn't crank?
Did you make sure the new battery is fully charged?
When you replaced the "fuse", do you mean the entire fusible link assembly attached to the battery + terminal (...there are many fuses on it)?
Did you check to make sure the corrosion you found didn't permeate further up into the battery positive (or negative) cables?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It does not crank. The lights, ac, and fans come on. I replaced the old battery with a brand new one. It has a full charge.There is a fuse that is attached to the positive battery terminal which unhooks from the battery cable it has the designation 250A. I did not check to see if the corrosion went further into the cables. It is the weirdest thing. The car ran fine for two days and then this happened. This week has been a total grind.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It does not crank. The lights, ac, and fans come on. I replaced the old battery with a brand new one. It has a full charge.There is a fuse that is attached to the positive battery terminal which unhooks from the battery cable it has the designation 250A. I did not check to see if the corrosion went further into the cables. It is the weirdest thing. The car ran fine for two days and then this happened. This week has been a total grind.
If you're sure the battery is good then treat this like a no crank, no start problem and continue with troubleshooting the starter circuit.

Below is a link to the service manual for your car--the information for the starting system along with a wiring diagram can be found in the "STR.pdf" file.

https://nicoclub.com/FSM/Murano/2009/

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks a bunch. I should be able to find a starter trouble shooting video somewhere shouldn't I? I'm not sure how to do that.
Yes, YouTube should have plenty of videos. The tests require a multimeter and you should be able to access the terminals on the starter solenoid through the drivers side wheel well by taking the wheel and splash panel off. If the starter is bad, you may have to take it out through the top though (i.e. remove the battery and battery tray and possibly the airbox) since there's a lot of wiring and transmission plumbing in the way so I'm not sure you could get it out through the wheel well.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll tell you as an electronics and mechanical guy by trade for 20+ years...the standard, cheap-o multimeter at Walmart or the like will do as long as you take care of it and know how to use/read it properly. I actually prefer the analog style with needle vs the digital ones because you can't see minor fluctuations. I keep one in the house, my go-kit for the car, and one in the Murano for the waverunner for good measure.

Sometimes it's a loose terminal or dirty/corroded connection...to include the fuses/terminals themselves. All electrical stuff I've done goes by the same electronic principles just a different format. Remember:. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) and start with simple checks/components before diving into the more complex and costly in most cases. Remember that a loose or wet/dirty connection is always easier than replacing a major component of you can be so lucky to find it. 😁 Look into what's called the "half-split method" for troubleshooting system wiring on longer/more complex systems. Much luck!

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Amen! If there's one rule I have learned, it's to figure out the simplest thing that can cause a problem and look there first. Most of the time that's going to be the problem.

Won't start? Battery problem.
Won't run? Out of gas.

And so on....

·
Registered
13 Posts
FIX THEM CABLES. IM.HAVING SAME PROBLEM. CHECK THE GROUND AND TAKE OF FUSIBLE LINK AND LOOK AT ALL THAT CORROSION UNDER THERE... THOSE BATTERIES HAVE VENTS THAT SPEW THAT CRAP UNDER THE HOOD. RUINING CABLES TERMINALS ECU'S. I already replaced the battery(nismo oem)
And alternator... Its the cables... Has to.be
The older ones had the same problem with the braided ground strap deterioration. Check it out. Worth a shot. My best guess. I'm replacing my corroded terminals fusible link and cables now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Missing10mm
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing