Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently purchased 2009 sl has a bad habit of starting to accelerate when I hit the accelerator to enter an intersection like trying to hit a small opening in trafic and then bogging down for a second or two. Is this a normal thing or is something needing attention..

·
Registered
835 Posts
Does this only happen when the road is wet or sandy (or any other low traction scenario?)

If so, it's probably the traction control kicking in to limit wheel spin.

If not, scan for TCM (tranmission) error codes with a Nissan capable TCM OBD2 scanner.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
8,284 Posts
As noted above, the first step with any problem like this is to have the diagnostic codes read. Very important!

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
My recently purchased 2009 sl has a bad habit of starting to accelerate when I hit the accelerator to enter an intersection like trying to hit a small opening in trafic and then bogging down for a second or two. Is this a normal thing or is something needing attention..
When you say "trying to hit a small opening in traffic", do you mean that you've hit the gas pedal to the floor while turning across traffic to get in the other lane?

If this is the case, like stated by others, you're more then likely engaging the Traction Control feature. Works by cutting back engine RPM when the system senses one of the tires spinning more then the others, like cutting across traffic while turning. The inside front wheel will start to spin, due to weight shifting, having less pressure for traction. When this happens, immediately let off the gas pedal then reapply to about 1/2 pedal until the engine catches back up, the fully apply to get up to speed.

1. Learn the point on your gas pedal that you can go to under those conditions. I found that hitting the gas pedal to the floor then immediately letting up some, which prevents the inside front wheel from spinning, works for the most part.

2. Go with a wider tire. Stock width is 235, which IMHO is too narrow for this car. I know that tire size will affect MPG, but I personally haven't notice any lose in MPG. Go to a tire width of 255, which adds .75 inches more to the tread width without any interference issues. Totally eliminates this issue. I have to accelerate heavy sometimes to enter my road from a red light, across a large intersection. Accelerator to the floor, I can hear the front inside tire starting to spin, but with the wider tire it's not enough to engage the TC. Plus, looking at the car from the back, next to a Murano with stock tires, it looks like it's got more meat on the road and just plain looks better.

Other then that, hope you're enjoying your new ride.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Paulday hit it on the head. There are no codes including tcm codes. It is just getting used to how my MO wants to be driven. I have had the problen on dry pavement , and it does not always happen so I am thinking the traction control is kicking in to stop a percieved skid.
Thanks for the input guys , this is my first car that has traction control so this is kinda new to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad I found this post. I have an '09 Murano S that bogs for 2-4 seconds when I start from a stop ON AN UPHILL GRADE. When the Murano is level, the issue is non-existent. When the car is even just a bit uphill, I get a loss of power on the pedal if try to proceed with normal acceleration. It's very frustrating and embarrassing with cars right on my bumper trying to get moving with the pace of traffic. I'm very easy on the gas pedal, so it's not a slippage/traction control issue. I will go today to get error codes read.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm glad I found this post. I have an '09 Murano S that bogs for 2-4 seconds when I start from a stop ON AN UPHILL GRADE. When the Murano is level, the issue is non-existent. When the car is even just a bit uphill, I get a loss of power on the pedal if try to proceed with normal acceleration. It's very frustrating and embarrassing with cars right on my bumper trying to get moving with the pace of traffic. I'm very easy on the gas pedal, so it's not a slippage/traction control issue. I will go today to get error codes read.
Lets us know the error codes and what they are if they find any, it will help others with similar symptoms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine had the same issue it was the boot from the air cleaner to the throttle body, 30ish dollar part on amazon, but i spent 80 for a dorman branded one from oreillys to fix it that day. There was a tear on the side of the boot that was letting in air after the mass air flow sensor im guessing causing too much air in the cylinders and not a correct air/fuel ratio, it was worse on uphills and quick acceleration im guessing due to movement of the engine stretching out and opening that tear. Super easy fix its two hose clamps and and smaller compression clamp on the side box, loosen the old clamps, take off the front hose and the cable for the mass air flow sensor, open the air cleaner box and replace the boot, be careful with the lid to the air cleaner box it has the mass air flow sensor inside it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts