Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've had my 2010 Murano for a few months. It has approx 122,000 miles and for the most part it's been a great car. So far I've had the spark plugs changed out, had a couple oil changes and had the wheel bearings changed out. Over the last couple weeks it's been doing something a little concerning. Sometimes after driving a little bit, I'll be stopped at a red light and when I press on the gas to go, there is nothing. I could put my foot to the floor and it doesn't rev and if it moves, it's very slow. Then after 5 to 8 seconds, it kicks in and goes as normal. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it seems to happen when I step on the gas after being at a stop. I cleaned the mass airflow sensor thinking that could be the problem but it wasn't. A mechanic friend connected his electronic code reader to the car so if the hesitation were to happen, he could see if there were any codes or other info showing a problem. As we were driving, the car did it again and he said that it appeared that the accelerator pedal sensor seemed to be doing it's job as it seemed in sync, even when the car was flat and not going anywhere. He said that he suspected it could be either the throttle body or in a worse case scenario, a problem with the transmission. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I read online that Nissan extended the warranty for the CVT to 10 years or 120,000 miles. I just hit 122,000, so if there is an issue with the CVT I think I'm screwed.

Registered
Sometimes after driving a little bit, I'll be stopped at a red light and when I press on the gas to go, there is nothing. I could put my foot to the floor and it doesn't rev and if it moves, it's very slow. Then after 5 to 8 seconds, it kicks in and goes as normal. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it seems to happen when I step on the gas after being at a stop. I cleaned the mass airflow sensor thinking that could be the problem but it wasn't.
Check ur air intake hose. I had the EXACT same issue in my 2011 and I'm at 118k miles (no extended warranty for 2011 and above tho). My car was totally fine otherwise. Usually throws a MAF sensor code but no CVT code so not a transmission issue. The hose just has a bunch of cracks (it's hard to see without taking it out) but pretty easy to do even for a beginner.

IMG_20191122_094300.jpg

You can get the part here:

changed mine yesterday fixed my issue immediately and I get significantly better mileage. Spread the word a lot of people think it's their transmission and worse yet they change their transmission and it comes back because it's not a transmission issue 馃槺

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Check ur air intake hose. I had the EXACT same issue in my 2011 and I'm at 118k miles (no extended warranty for 2011 and above tho). My car was totally fine otherwise. Usually throws a MAF sensor code but no CVT code so not a transmission issue. The hose just has a bunch of cracks (it's hard to see without taking it out) but pretty easy to do even for a beginner.

View attachment 50930

changed mine yesterday fixed my issue immediately and I get significantly better mileage. Spread the word a lot of people think it's their transmission and worse yet they change their transmission and it comes back because it's not a transmission issue 馃槺

View attachment 50930

Thanks much for the advice :) I'll definitely inspect it to see if it has cracks.

Registered
Thanks much for the advice :) I'll definitely inspect it to see if it has cracks.
Let me know how it goes.

Also definitely check the CVT for codes (if nothing great, if there is something good to know early). If you don't wanna pay like $100 at the dealership and have an android phone (or ur mechanic buddy does) you can use this app:

You just need a Bluetooth ODB II scanner (useful to have regardless) and download one of the many apps that are compatible. I got this one for $11:

That's pretty much everything I got info wise. I'm very confident your issue will be fixed by the hose tho.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know how it goes.

Also definitely check the CVT for codes (if nothing great, if there is something good to know early). If you don't wanna pay like $100 at the dealership and have an android phone (or ur mechanic buddy does) you can use this app:

You just need a Bluetooth ODB II scanner (useful to have regardless) and download one of the many apps that are compatible. I got this one for $11:

That's pretty much everything I got info wise. I'm very confident your issue will be fixed by the hose tho.
No codes came up with my friend's scanner...Not sure if tranny codes will come up on a portable scanner like that though.

Registered
No codes came up with my friend's scanner...Not sure if tranny codes will come up on a portable scanner like that though.
It will if you use that CVTz50 app. It only works with Bluetooth scanners tho. You search the forums others vouch and recommend it. It'll save you a chunk of change and time compared to the scammers umm dealership. You monitor other stuff like CVT fluid deterioration and Temp. Very handy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hey so we took out the air intake hose and holy crap, it had almost the same exact cracks in it that yours did! I'm going to pick a new one up at a local auto parts store and pop it in...Hopefully that does the trick...I'll let you know what happens, thanks again!

Registered
Hey so we took out the air intake hose and holy crap, it had almost the same exact cracks in it that yours did! I'm going to pick a new one up at a local auto parts store and pop it in...Hopefully that does the trick...I'll let you know what happens, thanks again!
Good news for you so far. I'd also probably replace ur air filter and clean (or replace if you want) ur MAF sensor since the hose wasn't working properly. I checked both of mine today are they were dirty as hell. Got a new filter and cleaned my MAF sensor and everything is a lot quieter, smoother and even better mileage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Hey so I bought the air intake hose at an O'Reilly's auto parts store, paid $106.34 with tax...I would have bought it from the Amazon but I needed to fix the problem quick...We changed out the part and now the car drives awesome with no more hesitation! Thanks again for your great advice bud, much appreciated :) Have a great Thanksgiving!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The weird thing about the hesitation was that no codes were triggered, but just glad it's resolved now.

Registered

Great call! Others will find your advice very useful. I'll have to remember this, I too would have leaned more towards it being a problem with the CVT.

Registered
This is a timely post for me! My 2009 SL with 139k has the no acceleration issue but almost always on a hill. I have a contact at Nissan corporate who contacted an engineer. He was told that when the CVT belt slip is greater than some value it causes the no-go condition to save the transmission from complete destruction. We checked for codes with Consult III and found none. I鈥檓 going to remove the boot today and check for cracks. Kurt

Registered
This is a timely post for me! My 2009 SL with 139k has the no acceleration issue but almost always on a hill. I have a contact at Nissan corporate who contacted an engineer. He was told that when the CVT belt slip is greater than some value it causes the no-go condition to save the transmission from complete destruction. We checked for codes with Consult III and found none. I鈥檓 going to remove the boot today and check for cracks. Kurt
No codes is probably a good sign but mine happened randomly, ONLY at a dead stop. It didn't matter what incline and only after my car was warmed up. It never happened (as far as I can remember) when I just started my car for the first 10ish mins.

But if you have lower than usual mpg and never changed the hose it's probably in bad shape. Hopefully that is your issue though.

Registered
Will guess what? The hose is badly cracked. I taped it up so we can drive it until the new one arrives from Amazon. I鈥檒l report back on results later. Thanks for the info everyone! Kurt

Registered
The new boot has been installed and it鈥檚 amazing how much better it runs! I鈥檝e been driving around locally and the limp mode hasn鈥檛 reoccurred. It is also smoother and more responsive, even on hills.

I noticed the torque strut rubber has perished. Maybe the excessive engine movement is contributing to the boot tearing and issues on hills. I鈥檒l check the motor mounts today since it seems like the original rubber parts are failing. Kurt

Super Moderator
The right front motor mount under the battery is easy. The very front one on the left front corner of the motor is a lot of work. Fortunately I never had to replace the rear mount; it is reputed to be a chore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts