Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Murano SL with just over 148,000 miles on her. I replaced the tranny about a year and a half ago (maybe 15-20,000 miles ago) and now I'm having issues again. Car idles rough, like a motorcycle, and when I accelerate the car starts to knock/thump. I thought maybe cylinder misfire but mechanic said the catalytic converter needs to be replaced, which isn't exactly cheap. You guys think its worth it to go ahead and do it ($1200-$1500) or is it time to say good bye and move on to a new car? What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The way I see this situations is it depends on your next car strategy. If you are ready to be done with the car and prepared to go buy brand new or late model used like something just off lease with 50K miles then possibly just be done with the MO. Keep in mind that if your MO is in good cosmetic shape then running good it would be worth around $3K while running poorly its maybe worth $500 simply because the dealer taking it in won't mess with it and will simply ship it to auction or sell to a wholesaler. OTOH, if you would seek out a comparable replacement costing $10K or less you are stuck looking at cars at or near 100K miles and those can come with problems equal to or greater than what you have, so just fix it and keep driving. Unless you are aware of other pending issues keep it. You haven't even gotten your money back on the new transmission yet. If you were staring down a $4-5K repair that would be a different story as that is about what the car is worth in a private sale. JMO YMMV

·
Super Moderator
8,047 Posts
I don't see a serious problem here. You have 148K miles on it with a good transmission. A generic cat converter will probably run under $300 (why you would put a factory one on it, I'm not sure.) You don't say which one of the three needs to be replaced, but in any case you can install generics or aftermarket cats and minimize your bill. $1200-$1500 is a waste of money and not necessary. Get away from the dealer and OEM parts!!

If it needs coils or spark plugs, then put 'em in. Not very expensive, especially if you're not at the dealer. Anyone can do it, including you.

You can have this Murano running well for under $1000 and you sure can't buy a replacement for that price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts