Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
I really appreciate seeing this forum is active, and I'm hoping to become
educated about what to do to replace the thin rubber seal surrounding the rear moon roof.
I own the Murano LE AWD, purchased new in 2010.
Mine isn't leaking as far as I know, but this last winter has really damaged the seal
to the degree thats its breaking off in bits and pieces when I wash the vehicle.
I have worked as a mechanic back when there were points and condensers in distributors,
and engines had no plastic parts to speak of. Trying to live in the 21st. century,
I also own a Gen. 2 Mini Cooper S, and have repaired many of the typical issues myself that they
are famous for with good success.
However, I'm hesitant to tear into this rig without research regarding the proper parts and procedure.
So my questions are: Is there any info online about how this is done, as YouTube has nothing even close
to addressing this problem, and should I replace anything else while I'm in there?
Also do I need to go to a dealer for this part, or can I find it online for a more reasonable price?
Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to reply with good information about this.
IMG_0184.JPG

·
Registered
565 Posts
Greetings!
I really appreciate seeing this forum is active, and I'm hoping to become
educated about what to do to replace the thin rubber seal surrounding the rear moon roof.
I own the Murano LE AWD, purchased new in 2010.
Mine isn't leaking as far as I know, but this last winter has really damaged the seal
to the degree thats its breaking off in bits and pieces when I wash the vehicle.
I have worked as a mechanic back when there were points and condensers in distributors,
and engines had no plastic parts to speak of. Trying to live in the 21st. century,
I also own a Gen. 2 Mini Cooper S, and have repaired many of the typical issues myself that they
are famous for with good success.
However, I'm hesitant to tear into this rig without research regarding the proper parts and procedure.
So my questions are: Is there any info online about how this is done, as YouTube has nothing even close
to addressing this problem, and should I replace anything else while I'm in there?
Also do I need to go to a dealer for this part, or can I find it online for a more reasonable price?
Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to reply with good information about this.
You'll find instructions in the "Roof" section of the factory service manual linked below. Generally, you'll find better deals for parts online although I'd recommend staying away from eBay--use a VIN search to find the correct part number. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man.
Even though the schematics are out of focus,
it looks like a sh!t ton of work to replace that seal.
I tried CarID for the part but they said it's a dealer only item.
They want $116.00 just for the part, a strip of rubber basically.
I called this morning, but my local dealer hasn't returned a call about what the labor will be.
I guess they never do this so they didn't know what it should cost...
I guess I'll be twisting in the wind on this one.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks man.
Even though the schematics are out of focus,
it looks like a sh!t ton of work to replace that seal.
I tried CarID for the part but they said it's a dealer only item.
They want $116.00 just for the part, a strip of rubber basically.
I called this morning, but my local dealer hasn't returned a call about what the labor will be.
I guess they never do this so they didn't know what it should cost...
I guess I'll be twisting in the wind on this one.
You might want to check with a body shop that deals with convertibles. This is something that they deal with quite often, broken glass, as in a sunroof or convertible top. They will have the best experience dealing with this type of issue.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts