Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been least 9 years I’d say since last time I was on this site. My old Murano is long gone, but my wife who came along after dumping my Murano is on her second Murano. And now I’m running into issues and hoping the good help I used to get on here is still available. She’s got a 2010 Murano SL AWD and the upper accessory drive belt idler pulley bolt is seized, (part number 11925-JA100). I tried everything I can to break this bolt free with no luck. It’s so tight there you can’t get a socket wrench on the socket, so I tried with vice grips, I’ve tried closed ended wrenches, I’m now trying a bolt extractor. Nothing will free this thing. Sprayed it with WD40 and then with Blaster. Most stubborn thing ever. I’ve even looked around hoping to not find something say it’s reversed threaded.... never seen anything indicating that yet. Not doing a torch since concerned with the aluminum engine, don’t want worse issues. Any other ideas? Preciate any help offered, specially since this is my second night up till midnight fussing with this thing. I’m only doing this so I can replace the seized alternator.

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
It’s been least 9 years I’d say since last time I was on this site. My old Murano is long gone, but my wife who came along after dumping my Murano is on her second Murano. And now I’m running into issues and hoping the good help I used to get on here is still available. She’s got a 2010 Murano SL AWD and the upper accessory drive belt idler pulley bolt is seized, (part number 11925-JA100). I tried everything I can to break this bolt free with no luck. It’s so tight there you can’t get a socket wrench on the socket, so I tried with vice grips, I’ve tried closed ended wrenches, I’m now trying a bolt extractor. Nothing will free this thing. Sprayed it with WD40 and then with Blaster. Most stubborn thing ever. I’ve even looked around hoping to not find something say it’s reversed threaded.... never seen anything indicating that yet. Not doing a torch since concerned with the aluminum engine, don’t want worse issues. Any other ideas? Preciate any help offered, specially since this is my second night up till midnight fussing with this thing. I’m only doing this so I can replace the seized alternator.
MY '03 had the same problem. Basically, I bought a new pully assembly, took it apart and was able to just replace the pully itself.

As long as the tension adjuster is still ok and working, then it should work, just a tight squeeze getting in there. Use a 6 sided wrench/socket when working the pully bolt, less chance of rounding it off and will give you a better grip on the bolt head.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MY '03 had the same problem. Basically, I bought a new pully assembly, took it apart and was able to just replace the pully itself.

As long as the tension adjuster is still ok and working, then it should work, just a tight squeeze getting in there. Use a 6 sided wrench/socket when working the pully bolt, less chance of rounding it off and will give you a better grip on the bolt head.
Have a good day.
Starting with’09 I believe it is they no longer have the tensioner on that pulley, I believe it’s called a self tension. Far more easier to work with than you would have had to deal with on your old Murano. If you ever have to replace the belt on your new Murano you’ll be so happy. The new one you put a socket on the pulley bolt and turn clockwise until two holes align and shove a screwdriver in it to hold in place and the belt comes off easily.
Speaking of six sided wrench, I’ve gone to multiple stores and nobody sells the six sided, only 12 sided. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find. Probably only sold on Anazon any more lol. I tried using a socket and vice grips but no luck and the bolt head was already starting to round off from the wrenches.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Order a set of these:

A little harder to work without being able to apply pressure, but with care, it should grip the bolt head and let you remove it.

A little heat around the bolt with a small torch set low will not hurt the engine block and might let the bolt come out a little easier. Good luck.

Have a good day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts