Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 2011 Nissan Murano LE that I regularly get serviced. I recently had my steering rack replaced (fluid flush and alignment done) , compressor replaced, cvt fluid changed, sway bar bushings and links replaced, front struts and rear shocks replaced, and my drive belt replaced. When I accelerate from about 0 to 5 mph I hear this slight whining noise that definitely wasn't there before service. It goes away once I get going but I can't record the sound. I don't her it if I'm parked and just push on the gas. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 2011 Nissan Murano LE that I regularly get serviced. I recently had my steering rack replaced (fluid flush and alignment done) , compressor replaced, cvt fluid changed, sway bar bushings and links replaced, front struts and rear shocks replaced, and my drive belt replaced. When I accelerate from about 0 to 5 mph I hear this slight whining noise that definitely wasn't there before service. It goes away once I get going but I can't record the sound. I don't her it if I'm parked and just push on the gas. Any ideas?
Hello there. I have a 2012 and have a similar issue only when the vehicle is cool and when I first start to drive forward. It is like a binding sound. It is at the shop now for other work and i asked if they could investigate the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello there. I have a 2012 and have a similar issue only when the vehicle is cool and when I first start to drive forward. It is like a binding sound. It is at the shop now for other work and i asked if they could investigate the issue.
Mine makes a whine now even if not cold start. It's more pronounced when going uphill. It seems to be getting worse and only happens when the AC is turned on. I can be going 3mph uphill with the whine and if I turn off the AC the noise instantly goes away. This is a brand new compressor from the dealer.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
Mine makes a whine now even if not cold start. It's more pronounced when going uphill. It seems to be getting worse and only happens when the AC is turned on. I can be going 3mph uphill with the whine and if I turn off the AC the Boise instantly goes away. This is a brand new compressor from the dealer.
I would check the alternator belt adjustment, and the idler pulley. They are often the cause of noises.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Mine makes a whine now even if not cold start. It's more pronounced when going uphill. It seems to be getting worse and only happens when the AC is turned on. I can be going 3mph uphill with the whine and if I turn off the AC the Boise instantly goes away. This is a brand new compressor from the dealer.
If the noise comes and goes depending on whether or not the A/C is on then that would seem to point to your new compressor. You said earlier that if you're in P and hit the gas that you don't hear it--is this the case even when the A/C is on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would check the alternator belt adjustment, and the idler pulley. They are often the cause of noises.
Yes this is the case even when the A/C is on. I wondered if maybe there was something that the compressor affects or even a faulty compressor itself. After taking it back to the dealer they say nothing is wrong but I don't think they really care to investigate the issue. I'm going to take it somewhere else on Monday but it would be nice to have things to have the shop look into. The fact that it only happens when i press on the gas at low speed seems to suggest that maybe the drag on the engine at the low of speed is too great? There are other older components to the car that haven't been replaced yet. I also had the motor mounts replaced at this exact same time. The bad part about doing so much work at one time is that it is hard to really nail down what the cause is, even if that cause is some older component being affected by a newer component.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to take it too another shop on Monday and will ask them to look. The dealer seems very uninterested in determining what's wrong. I'm not a very picky person and understand older cars make more noise but this is different. I can feel it in the pedal, like a slight vibration along with the whine and I just have this gut feeling that something is not at all right. Again, it never did this prior to the repairs and I've been driving this car since 2014 so I'm pretty in tuned with what she does in various situations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the noise comes and goes depending on whether or not the A/C is on then that would seem to point to your new compressor. You said earlier that if you're in P and hit the gas that you don't hear it--is this the case even when the A/C is on?
Yes this is the case even when the A/C is on. I wondered if maybe there was something that the compressor affects or even a faulty compressor itself. After taking it back to the dealer they say nothing is wrong but I don't think they really care to investigate the issue. I'm going to take it somewhere else on Monday but it would be nice to have things to have the shop look into. The fact that it only happens when i press on the gas at low speed seems to suggest that maybe the drag on the engine at the low of speed is too great? There are other older components to the car that haven't been replaced yet. I also had the motor mounts replaced at this exact same time. The bad part about doing so much work at one time is that it is hard to really nail down what the cause is, even if that cause is some older component being affected by a newer component.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
Motor mounts will make no difference in this case. But the compressor belt is worth a look.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Motor mounts will make no difference in this case. But the compressor belt is worth a look.
What about if they installed a defective motor mount or a different type of mount that's stiffer? Maybe it's an electric mount that's not doing what's it's supposed to, so it's transmitting greater vibrations through the car at that speed, and perhaps it's causing a slightly different alignment of various parts that a "tuned in" owner might be able to detect. I believe those electric mounts can also make a whirring noise if bad/failing. Drive belt sounds logical enough (e.g. maybe it's too tight), but maybe double-check that the correct motor mounts were used and, if electric, that they're hooked up and working correctly.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about if they installed a defective motor mount or a different type of mount that's stiffer? Maybe it's an electric mount that's not doing what's it's supposed to, so it's transmitting greater vibrations through the car at that speed, and perhaps it's causing a slightly different alignment of various parts that a "tuned in" owner might be able to detect. I believe those electric mounts can also make a whirring noise if bad/failing. Drive belt sounds logical enough, but maybe double-check that the correct motor mounts were used and, if they're electric that they're hooked up and working correctly.
And just as a heads up I did have the drive belt replaced since that was the first thought. Same noise though.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
What about if they installed a defective motor mount or a different type of mount that's stiffer? Maybe it's an electric mount that's not doing what's it's supposed to, so it's transmitting greater vibrations through the car at that speed, and perhaps it's causing a slightly different alignment of various parts that a "tuned in" owner might be able to detect. I believe those electric mounts can also make a whirring noise if bad/failing. Drive belt sounds logical enough (e.g. maybe it's too tight), but maybe double-check that the correct motor mounts were used and, if electric, that they're hooked up and working correctly.
If I was worried about the motor mount I'd disconnect the wire to it. Then it couldn't whine...which I strongly believe it wouldn't in any case. I think that one's a stretch.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Another possibility is a noisy condenser fan. Try doing this IPDM Auto Active procedure and see if you hear something resembling the noise when the cooling fans come on.

BTW, since you've had all this work done at the dealership I suspect the final bill was in the thousands. They really should do a better job of customer service in your case. You may want to go back to the dealership and talk to the service manager. Ask for a tech to take a ride with you and you can point out exactly when you hear the noise so they understand what you're talking about.

Font Parallel Number Document Screenshot

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If I was worried about the motor mount I'd disconnect the wire to it. Then it couldn't whine...which I strongly believe it wouldn't in any case. I think that one's a stretch.
Might be. But, yeah, pulling the electrical connections to whichever mounts are electric should quickly rule out that whirring prospect. Lots of work done on the OP's vehicle. Goes away when proceeding uphill with A/C on... I wonder if it's going away or actually being drowned out by the sound of the compressor running.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
Might also be worth checking belt alignment. Replacement devices sometimes have slightly incorrect pulley offsets. Removing the belt for a brief test might be worthwhile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another possibility is a noisy condenser fan. Try doing this IPDM Auto Active procedure and see if you hear something resembling the noise when the cooling fans come on.

BTW, since you've had all this work done at the dealership I suspect the final bill was in the thousands. They really should do a better job of customer service in your case. You may want to go back to the dealership and talk to the service manager. Ask for a tech to take a ride with you and you can point out exactly when you hear the noise so they understand what you're talking about.

View attachment 55227
Ok will do. Yea it was about 6K. I agree and they were willing to take it back to look but when I went on a drive and pointed it out the guy just didn't really seem to get it because he agreed he heard something but then gave my car back saying it was fixed. -_-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts