Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time user here. Looking for information/ suggestion for my CVT tranny lag.
Bought a 2012 Nissan Murano LE AWD in online auction recently (205100 on the ODO), got it transported to Dallas, TX and got brake systems, muffler assembly and alternator repaired. Now the vehicle shows some considerable lag in engaging forward drive mode (D) from stand still position.When engaging it jerks and then engages. Once engaged, it runs quite well with no issues. Haven't experienced such lag when driving reverse from stand still position. The AWD indicator light on the instrumentation panel is constantly lit when on. Took it to transmission shops and quotes came in at about $4000 - $5500 and one suggested to sell the Murano as junk. I am not sure if I should go ahead and get that replaced with remanufactured one or just use until it completely fails. May be a very bad investment as the total cost (price + auction fees + transportation + brakes/ muffler/alternator/EVAP valve repairs) at the time of writing is $7280. Very sad. For now, son is using it to commute to college. Any suggestion is welcome.

· Registered
2,980 Posts
Its really too bad for the many folks that bought their used murano before coming here. They could have avoided the headache if only they did their due diligence before signing...Its a big lure to many when they see a usually low mileage murano with decent interior and exterior for a low price. Hard to resist specially the CVT TCM codes does not show on on regular OBDII scanners. So its hidden in a way. But yeah, Original owners dump their muranos as soon as they get signs of CVT issues knowing that replacement cost is around 4-6K. It happened on the first gen 10 years ago and continue to happen today. Repairing the CVT is a big maybe at best, like changing the stepper motor or valve body. Usually, you gamble on a used CVT or reman from the dealer. I can't tell you what to do but even new reman from dealers has some early failure reports as well. Jatco CVT is just poorly made compared to others. Good luck.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its really too bad for the many folks that bought their used murano before coming here. They could have avoided the headache if only they did their due diligence before signing...Its a big lure to many when they see a usually low mileage murano with decent interior and exterior for a low price. Hard to resist specially the CVT TCM codes does not show on on regular OBDII scanners. So its hidden in a way. But yeah, Original owners dump their muranos as soon as they get signs of CVT issues knowing that replacement cost is around 4-6K. It happened on the first gen 10 years ago and continue to happen today. Repairing the CVT is a big maybe at best, like changing the stepper motor or valve body. Usually, you gamble on a used CVT or reman from the dealer. I can't tell you what to do but even new reman from dealers has some early failure reports as well. Jatco CVT is just poorly made compared to others. Good luck.
Thanks for the prompt response. Can I know what is Jatco CVT? Or did you mean Japanese CVT?

I had taken the vehicle today, to a local transmission shop having good reviews. The mechanic owner suggested its a bad case having spent that much and having the CVT issue. However, he put forward two options.
1. He would rebuild the CVT for $4.5K when parts become available. Timeline about 3 weeks. Warranty for 12 months from him.
2. Alternatively, put in a used CVT (after market from salvaged vehicles) and reprogram it. This would cost about $3K to $4K with about 6mos warranty from tranny seller. I did some basic search for used tranny at lkqonline and found those in the price range of $2k to $3.5K. Labor may cost about $850.

Incidentally found out that the CVT for 2012 Nissan Murano is also interchangable with 2013 Infiniti JX35. But most of these are available about 500 - 900 miles away and so may incur S&H costs. :( Here is one I looked at for $2500.

By taking the second alternative route above, I may end up saving about $1000 but warranty is only for 6 mos by the supplier. This vehicle may log about 12K miles in a year. So, just contemplating should I get it done by opting for a used CVT. Pl let me know.

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
For $1000 difference I would not take a chance on a used transmission...if I planned on keeping the car. If I were going to fix it and sell it I'd go cheap.

And I wouldn't be interested in any used CVT that had more than about 50K miles on it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For $1000 difference I would not take a chance on a used transmission...if I planned on keeping the car. If I were going to fix it and sell it I'd go cheap.

And I wouldn't be interested in any used CVT that had more than about 50K miles on it.
Thank you for the response. I am now more inclined towards rebuilding its CVT. The mechanic AMD Transmission at 75060 said it may take upto 3 weeks. Will keep y'all posted on how it turns out, going forward.:)

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
I'm surprised your mechanic can get parts. Most of the time they are not available.

· Registered
2,366 Posts
Bought a 2012 Nissan Murano LE AWD in online auction recently (205100 on the ODO)...
Setting aside the current CVT problems--how much more life do you think the car has with 205,000+ miles? If it was my car, I would cut my losses and move on since even if you go through with the expense of replacing/repairing the CVT, you would still be faced with the possibility of more expensive repairs in the near future.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Setting aside the current CVT problems--how much more life do you think the car has with 205,000+ miles? If it was my car, I would cut my losses and move on since even if you go through with the expense of replacing/repairing the CVT, you would still be faced with the possibility of more expensive repairs in the near future.
Good question. Looking back at the investment I did in buying this car and owing to the recent CVT issue, I would be happy if it can last at least another 25K to 30 K miles. I bought this for cheap in an auction but had to invest much for other repairs (nitely had rightly suggeted its a bad investment) as I have stated in the original post above. Now, if I sell this car as is currently, I may not fetch beyond $1.5K. With this sale, I will still be at loss of about $7K. Now if I invest $4.5K more, it may fetch $4K in about a year wherein I would still be at a loss of $7K and would get some breather time. However, I would still need a vehicle for my son's commute to college which would need a considerable investment right away. I know, I am stuck in "x wires" but I dont see a viable alternative for the near future. Please let me know, if my thinking is otherwise. Thank you.

· Registered
434 Posts
Loss of 7k and you say you bought it cheap? Cheap would be $500. I would not spend more than that on a CVT Nissan vehicle, especially with those miles.
At higher miles there is more problems to come. Did they ever fix the seat issues? How about the rear end? Are timing chains next on the list? What about suspension ? How about wheel bearings?
Then the fun stuff the electronics. Should have got a honda or toyota.

· Premium Member
Oct 2010 Ti Australian Model (Manufactured Japan)
220 Posts
I agree with chidogs' #10 comment, above.
Ditch the "Money Pit", Go Toyota (Oh, What a feeling!)
But, do heaps of research on reliability, likelihood of what will need repairs, cost of repairs, etc.
Also, definitely get the next car checked out by a mechanic, the engine, drivetrain, suspension, rust.
Probably better of with NO awd, for simplicity and maintenance.
AND, no CVT, in any car!
Cheers

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
Cheap is obviously relative, but IMO auctions are for those who have the resources to fix major unseen problems, and the expertise to evaluate whether those problems exist. This sounds like an auction roll of the dice that came up snake eyes.

Reactions: Woo-Thy

· Registered
37 Posts
To be honest, I agree with the more pessimistic responses you are getting. I own an '06. They are comfy, nice cars, WHEN THEY WORK, but they are money pits. I had the seat bracket issue (brackets break because they were too thin), CD/radio quit, fuel pump sending unit failed twice (get all "*" on the LCD for mileage and erratic "E" to "F" readings on gas gauge), alternator failed twice, multiple wheel hub/cv joint failures. It only has 135,000 on it. If the CVT ever goes, it goes straight to the junk yard. Dumping $4,000 into a car with 200,000+ on it is a losing proposition. It if were a Toyota pickup in good shape, sure. But not a Murano.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Loss of 7k and you say you bought it cheap? Cheap would be $500. I would not spend more than that on a CVT Nissan vehicle, especially with those miles.
At higher miles there is more problems to come. Did they ever fix the seat issues? How about the rear end? Are timing chains next on the list? What about suspension ? How about wheel bearings?
Then the fun stuff the electronics. Should have got a honda or toyota.
Yes. Initail bid was cheap indeed that caught me off gaurd. Then there were added costs like document and auction fees, transportation costs and further repairs done as soon as the vehicle was delivered. All added up to a total of $7K. Thinking about it, there could potentially be more repairs in the near future. Sinking down with this investment. Thanks for all the insights.I apprrciate it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheap is obviously relative, but IMO auctions are for those who have the resources to fix major unseen problems, and the expertise to evaluate whether those problems exist. This sounds like an auction roll of the dice that came up snake eyes.
I agree. Its a bad investment and got myself into trouble and that too at a time when sole bread winner is unemployed. :(

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be honest, I agree with the more pessimistic responses you are getting. I own an '06. They are comfy, nice cars, WHEN THEY WORK, but they are money pits. I had the seat bracket issue (brackets break because they were too thin), CD/radio quit, fuel pump sending unit failed twice (get all "*" on the LCD for mileage and erratic "E" to "F" readings on gas gauge), alternator failed twice, multiple wheel hub/cv joint failures. It only has 135,000 on it. If the CVT ever goes, it goes straight to the junk yard. Dumping $4,000 into a car with 200,000+ on it is a losing proposition. It if were a Toyota pickup in good shape, sure. But not a Murano.
Thanks for the insight. Yes, Murano is comfy. I had another Murano which got totalled. And so inclined to but similar one but this time I was floored with a bad one. :(

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. There could be more issues hidden in it that may crop up sometime in the near future. Fingers crossed! Over the past six months, it was driven in town and now added about 7K miles even with that little hassle of waiting a few seconds for it to engage the tranny. Hoping that it would continue serving our needs at least for another year. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts