Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday night I was going to a friends wedding (drive by wedding!) I got to the top of his street and my car just completely shut off. We gave it a boost, it ran while we had the cables on however as soon as we took them off it died again....I got it towed back to my garage and had my mechanic come take a look at it. Everything pointed to the Alternator. We ended up replacing the Alternator, Battery, Serpentine belt, and pulley system figuring that would do the trick.

Fast forward to today the car starts up just fine, I go to merge onto the highway and same thing, just completely dies. When I go start the car all the lights pop on (Check engine, ABS, Oil, everything but the battery light) now i'm really stumped....and terrified of what it could be! We got it towed once again back to my garage and am going to have the mechanic take a look at it again however if you guys have any ideas I will gladly listen.

·
Registered
565 Posts
On Saturday night I was going to a friends wedding (drive by wedding!) I got to the top of his street and my car just completely shut off. We gave it a boost, it ran while we had the cables on however as soon as we took them off it died again....I got it towed back to my garage and had my mechanic come take a look at it. Everything pointed to the Alternator. We ended up replacing the Alternator, Battery, Serpentine belt, and pulley system figuring that would do the trick.

Fast forward to today the car starts up just fine, I go to merge onto the highway and same thing, just completely dies. When I go start the car all the lights pop on (Check engine, ABS, Oil, everything but the battery light) now i'm really stumped....and terrified of what it could be! We got it towed once again back to my garage and am going to have the mechanic take a look at it again however if you guys have any ideas I will gladly listen.
If the charge warning light (battery light) does not come on when the ignition switch is turned on (engine off), then there's a problem with the alternator L circuit. I'd first check for a blown fuse. According to the wiring diagram in the service manual (see link below), it's fuse #4 (10 amp) in the junction box inside the engine compartment. If that's o.k. then there are additional troubleshooting procedures in the service manual. Good luck and let us know what you find.

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm_download=Murano/2012/CHG.pdf

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
The problem is no diagnosis before installing parts. A reasonable first step might have been replacing the battery, provided it was at less than 12V.

I agree with I Need Coffee. Analysis, and one step at a time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much guys!! I guess I forgot to add we did do some diagnoses before installing we put the battery on a voltage meter and got 14V when the car was running with booster cables yet it completely died the second we took off the booster cables. I have someone coming over to take a look this afternoon and will report the findings back!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
With that bit of info...IMO it's the alternator, the battery, or both. If you had 14V running, that was the charging system of the donor car.

Since it died when the cables were removed, either the alternator wasn't putting out anything or the battery was so bad that it couldn't complete the circuit. That's unlikely.

I'd put a battery charger on it, charge the battery in full, then start it and check voltage again. If all you read is battery voltage (@12V) when the alternator isn't putting out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts