Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member. Bought my 2012 Murano LE 70k miles about a year ago. The problem that I have, is that it was terrible in the snow this last winter.

Northern IN gets some pretty serious lake effect snow off of lake Michigan. The tires are Bridgestone Ecopia H/L422 Plus 235/55/R20 with approximately 6/32" tread left on them. Manufactured date is about 3 years ago.

My question is whether I should replace the tires with some good all seasons, or buy a new set of rims with some snow tires. Naturally, being a certified cheap-ass I'd rather just replace these tires but need to fix the problem.

I'm wondering to myself whether the culprit is the low profile tires on 20 inch rims, the lower tread depth that's left, inferior designed tires, or maybe the car just sucks in the snow.

I really need to solve this issue before the wife makes me sell it, gotta keep the baby safe in the winter. Any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
124 Posts
i'm in Chicago so similar but not quite as bad winter weather. 18" Michelin premier ltx's have been very good to me and more than adequate for the last few winters we've encountered. but nothing beats a set of dedicated snow/ice tires. you have sufficient thread left so i'd say poor thread design; I doubt that 20" have much if any impact.

·
Registered
725 Posts
There is no substitute for running good winter tires. Period.
Can you get by without them? Sure, but one minor fender scrape and you have probably exceeded the cost of a dedicated set of winter wheels. The other benfit is that your 3 season rims don’t get corroded And your all season tires will last even longer .

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Very simple.

1. Go to Ebay.
  2. Buy 4 matching OEM Murano wheels that someone took off to put stupid-expensive aftermarket wheels on.
  3. Go to Tire Rack online, buy some Bridgestone Blizzaks and have them shipped to a local tire store that Tire Rack works with.
  4. With your order, include TMPS units from Tire Rack that will work with your car.
  5. Have the local shop install the sensors, mount and balance, and then you have winter tires and rims so you can change summer to winter wheels in your driveway if you want.
That's your lowest cost and most effective option. Snow tires cannot be matched by any "all season" tires. This is the best way to do it - no tire changing and re-balancing every year. just change rims, check air pressure, drive on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Pilgrim
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing