Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Murano Cross-Cabriolet with which I've been towing a small popup trailer at about 1500lbs total (OK, maybe 1600). I've been towing this trailer with no problem since I bought the car used in 2016. Last year, the CVT started to failsafe on me and I'd pull over to cool off to get home.

I had Nissan change both the transmission fluid and the transaxle fluid a month ago and did a 200 mile trip here in Colorado (mountain driving) with no issues.

The question I have is that I've always turned off the OD when towing as I was to told to keep revs up when towing. What I noticed on this last trip, though, was the revs without OD were higher than I remember. To keep a steady 55 mph I'm revving the engine at about 4000 rpm. When I turn OD back on, revs go down to around 2000. I don't seem to remember such a big change.

So I'm tempted now to keep OD on particularly when there is no hill. Am I more at risk to overheat the tranny? Should I just leave OD off and deal with the high revs at all times?

(Yes, yes, I know. I shouldn't be towing at all with the Cross Cabriolet).

Thanks in advance, Peter.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have a 2012 Murano Cross-Cabriolet with which I've been towing a small popup trailer at about 1500lbs total (OK, maybe 1600). I've been towing this trailer with no problem since I bought the car used in 2016. Last year, the CVT started to failsafe on me and I'd pull over to cool off to get home.

I had Nissan change both the transmission fluid and the transaxle fluid a month ago and did a 200 mile trip here in Colorado (mountain driving) with no issues.

The question I have is that I've always turned off the OD when towing as I was to told to keep revs up when towing. What I noticed on this last trip, though, was the revs without OD were higher than I remember. To keep a steady 55 mph I'm revving the engine at about 4000 rpm. When I turn OD back on, revs go down to around 2000. I don't seem to remember such a big change.

So I'm tempted now to keep OD on particularly when there is no hill. Am I more at risk to overheat the tranny? Should I just leave OD off and deal with the high revs at all times?

(Yes, yes, I know. I shouldn't be towing at all with the Cross Cabriolet).

Thanks in advance, Peter.
The reason that some may suggest turning off OD when pulling a trailer through the mountains is because the higher revs increase engine braking, which helps with slowing down when pulling a load. Turning off OD actually puts more stress on the transmission so you shouldn't turn it off unless you feel you really need the extra assist from engine braking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts