Nissan Murano Forum banner

2014 Murano SV: 115K miles- fix or trade?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 · (Edited)
We have a 2014 Murano SL with 115K miles- original owner and has been following all scheduled maintenance.

Went for a recall at the dealer and they noted that there is a leak in the transfer case and needs new control arms. Took to our regular mechanic who said the leak is very minor but eventually would probably need to replace the transfer case within the next year (about $3K) and control arms are fine.

So in mid 2023 (estimated 125K) we are going to need to make a decision: repair or sell/trade. I am worried with this mileage that we are going to get other expensive problems occurring (esp the CVT). Not a great time to buy cars either (but we would get a couple of extra $$$ to the trade in).

This is our only car so reliability is important. All good at the moment but I am not mechanically inclined.

If we did repair I would hope that we could get 3 more years (say get to 170K miles) without additional large costs before getting a new car but not sure if that is just a dream!
Appreciate any advice!

#2 ·
I'd keep it. Just check the transfer case level to be sure it's topped off, it only holds 5/8 pint of gear oil. I'm not sure why your mechanic would say it needs to be replaced in another year... However, if you let it run dry, it will fail catastrophically...

#3 ·
I answered an almost identical question in another thread. I agree with @MuranoSL2003.

How bad is the leak? A leak does not require replacement, and a very slow leak (more of a "seep") is pretty common in Muranos.

Dealing with the leak requires either (a) regular checks of the transfer case to make sure the lube stays up, or (b) a seal replacement that should stop it leaking. Unfortunately the transfer cases also have a reputation for resuming the leak after a while. Regardless, a replacement is only needed if the transfer case assembly is damaged. If it's just leaking you can check it every couple of months and top it off as needed.

The transfer case has nothing to do with the CVT. A leak in one doesn't mean anything about the other.

Reactions: canWat
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.