Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 2015 Murano AWD Platinum. How accurate is the trip mileage reader on the car? I haven't used a full tank of gas yet but it's saying around 19mpg in the last past couple of trips. What is the average between highway and city driving together usually? I'm was thinking based on the fuel specs I was going to get around 24mpg combined. I"m using 87 octane fuel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sounds about right. Ive been using an app to log my fuel usage whenever I fill up. The app says 18-22 Mpg. The car currently reads 20 mp average. So its pretty spot on.

Now if youre just looking at city vs highway, its wildly different. I get as low as 10-16 mpg city and as high as 30 highway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do they get away with listing the fuel as 21city/28highway? My last car was a 2008 Eclipse GT and it was listed at 17city/26highway. The eclipse would get about 22mpg combined, thats a mix of highway and city.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I get 20 at the very lowest, and that’s with mostly sitting around at stop lights. I get 28+ on the highway.

Highway numbers are generated at 60 mph. Maybe even 55 mph. I can’t remember.

If I drive my Murano at 55 mph on a flat road it will get 32+.

@Robotazky

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The average highway speed in PA is 55mph but everyone goes 70mph on average. If you go 55mph on the highway around here you become a road hazard. I still need to use a full tank of gas. I reset the trip meter to 0 and after the tank is low enough when the fuel light comes on I'll write down how many miles I went and how much gas I had to fill the tank. Thats how I usually do it to determine my combined highway/city daily driving for the week.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I average 17mpg city and 24mpg highway.

I've gotten 36mpg once or twice but that was me actually trying to get such a low economy. It was 80km/h on a flat road for about 100km distance. No traffic as well with cruise control set. So my RPM was at 1100 the entire time.. But normally I'm closer to the 24 mpg mark.

·
Registered
544 Posts
On average, the readout shows anywhere from .2 to 1mpg higher than actual (for me, over 41500 miles thus far). And yeah I track every fillup.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
I would consider 1 mpg or less to be considerably below the normal margin of error. That's impressively accurate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
How do they get away with listing the fuel as 21city/28highway? My last car was a 2008 Eclipse GT and it was listed at 17city/26highway. The eclipse would get about 22mpg combined, thats a mix of highway and city.

In fairness, Im probably not the best example of average MPG. I dont drive much, except to work, so my 3 year old car doesnt even have 20k miles on it yet. Fuel economy seems to improve drastically as the car gets more milage and stuff breaks in.

Also, I do mostly city driving, and its a lot of stop and go.

But, I mostly wanted to point out that the cars reading seems to be pretty accurate when compared with my logs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same here from my experience. I had a 2009 and now have a 2018 Murano. Both digital readouts were high by about 1.5-2.0 mpg. Best to track by old fashion 'pen and paper.' BTW, my 2018 gets about 30+/- mpg on the highway at about 70mph. Can't complain about that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m getting only 16.3 mpg mixed driving in my 2017 AWD Murano. I checked it manually for one tank, and it is reporting correctly.
This is WAY below the reported spec of ~21 mpg mixed driving.
The dealer has no explanation. Can/would a tune up help? Only has ~18,000 miles.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are you pre warming your car? When I pre warm mine, i notice my mileage drops allot. Just a thought..

And... that's usually what I'm averaging in my 2017 AWD Platinum when I'm not being gas economy concious. Meaning when I'm driving it normally and not concerned to get the best mileage I can.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’m getting only 16.3 mpg mixed driving in my 2017 AWD Murano. I checked it manually for one tank, and it is reporting correctly.
This is WAY below the reported spec of ~21 mpg mixed driving.
The dealer has no explanation. Can/would a tune up help? Only has ~18,000 miles.
A tune up in modern cars is usually limited to changing spark plugs. If one of them is defective, you will notice because of longer cranking at startup, poor idle, jerking. Not likely spark plugs. Air filter is often the culprit for poor fuel economy, but that too is not likely the cause, unless you have driven through a dust storm repeatedly.

To determine actual fuel consumption, I will fill the tank at my regular station with the usual 87 octane fuel, squeezing in the maximum amount of fuel. Clear the trip odometer to 0.00 and then I drive for a minimum of 100 miles (160km) in one highway drive, at a steady 60 mph, (100kph). Returning to my gas station, I refuel exactly the same way, then check consumption. Essentially, I remove my driving habits, traffic patterns, other drivers from the equation when determining optimal fuel economy.

This process resulted in a reading of 7.5 L/100 km or about 30 mpg. My around town average is about 15 mpg and combined is 21mpg. Wish those were better numbers, but that's the nature of very short trips in heavy traffic with an AWD SUV.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our 18 Murano is my first CVT. After only 1,000 miles it seems to me the CVT tends to reward a light foot more than a geared transmission. If I am patient in getting from 0 - 30 or 0 - 75 the CVT will reward me with much better fuel economy. Under slow acceleration a geared transmission may tend to hang on to a lower gear to avoid hunting for the right gear while the CVT allows smooth acceleration without any of that. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
46 Posts
New to me 16 SL AWD. I notice MPG really takes a hit with short local city driving trips, of which I do a lot. When I add more of a mix the MPG will get closer to or achieve advertised mixed driving MPG. I've not taken a full highway trip yet but I suspect based on other experiences that it will do well. Either way, it is an improvement over my 2010.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
There are numerous discussions of gas mileage on various forums here. Try a search and see what you turn up.

In town, expect 15-16. Over 20 on highway. Your right foot, traffic and terrain determine the rest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I find that if I reset the calculated mpg on the dash to zero before using the vehicle, the mpg number will be higher versus letting the numbers roll over and be averaged out over a period of weeks (driving essentially the same route). Try that and see if your daily drives register a higher mpg - if you find the mpg number showing on the dash to be inordinately low.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
16 Participants
Pilgrim
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing