Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the 2015 MO with Panoramic Roof can't have the Cross Rails installed? Does the roof movement interfere with the cross rails? The roof rails that come installed look like they can accept the cross rails.

Looking to install ski racks and no one seems to make a product. Checked Thule & Yakima. Thanks for your input!! Have a 2015 Platinum with Tech Package in Gun Metallic / Graphite Leather on order for my wife.

·
Registered
895 Posts
They are available as an OEM item from Nissan. In the picture they look silver in color now as opposed to the previous black. Not sure about the aftermarket brands.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes OEM is available but if you build a MO w/ panoramic sunroof the cross rails are not available. Must be an issue with the movement of the sunroof.

Hopefully aftermarket will make something.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have had both on my 2010 with moonroof. the factory cross rails were very low with little clearance. my Thule cross rails are elevated and provide a much better clearance, as well as more flat load area I don't have to worry about scratching as they come off when not in use

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
I'm thinking that you CAN have them installed, but not by the factory while the car is being built. You should be able to purchase the cross rails from the dealer and you or your dealer should be able to install them. Most likely, the point in the assembly line where the roof rails are installed, is before where the moon roof is installed. If the cross rails were installed before the moon roof, they would have to be removed first so the moonroof could be installed.

This is my theory and I'm sticking' to it! :laugh:

Take care!

Jim

·
Registered
895 Posts
I tried building a 15 platinum version Murano on their website and when I got to the accessories part it did allow me to add the crossbars. Wouldnt make sense if they did something with the 15's to prevent use of crossbars. On a side note I had them on my 09 and was going to buy them for my 14. But after a while liked the look without them better and not going to use them anyway. Plus cleaning the roof is much easier especially when it snows.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried as well. Must be a Cali thing; Not Available with:
Platinum Technology Package
Would you like to add null and apply the changes?
YES | NO

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer tried ordering Cross Rails from parts department since car is due in a few weeks but was told they couldn't be fitted on a Plat w/ tech package. Must be the panoramic sunroof. Thule & Yakima don't have solutions for the roof either, hopefully soon. Open to suggestions?

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
That's really strange. Platinum with Tech package has the same roof rails, even down to the little removable panels exposing the threaded inserts for attaching the cross rails. I can't believe that they would offer the top of the line Murano without the capability of installing the cross rails.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I totally agree red kiosk...but its not just the Platinum, its any Murano with Tech Package aka Panoramic Sunroof that you can not add the cross rails to on Nissans website. I'll have to watch the operation of the sunroof as it must come in contact with or close contact with the cross rails (if they were installed).

·
Registered
168 Posts
I totally agree red kiosk...but its not just the Platinum, its any Murano with Tech Package aka Panoramic Sunroof that you can not add the cross rails to on Nissans website. I'll have to watch the operation of the sunroof as it must come in contact with or close contact with the cross rails (if they were installed).
That's the interesting part...the sunroof actually drops below the roof when it opens (into the cabin) ...not above the roof.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe its a roof load, glass breakage or wind concern? My dealer didn't know the reason and the Nissan website doesn't say. I guess I'll buy them from parts after I take delivery and be the guinea pig...

·
Registered
895 Posts
That's the interesting part...the sunroof actually drops below the roof when it opens (into the cabin) ...not above the roof.
Are you sure about that? Mine goes above the rear glass roof. Don't see how it's possible to go below into the cabin.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Delayed Availability

Purchased my 15 Platinum last month and have had no luck in finding out when the Cross Bars will be available for purchase. Spoke with the Dealership and they stated that it was not an option that was being offered on their "Accessory Website." I showed them the NissanUSA site on my phone where they are clearly shown in the Accessories Section and on a couple of the Marketing photos and all I get from the Accessories guy is, ("I don't know bud.") Does anyone have any information as to when they will be available for purchase? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought an SL Mo a couple of days ago and had to forgo tech package so that I could have roof rails to haul kayaks. My sales guy thought it had to do with gas mileage. All car companies have to comply with an average 40 mpg standard. Also why the Xterra died. It's BS. So I did a lease. They better figure it out in the next 3 years. I'm withering for lack of sunlight!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Received my 2015 Mo Plat w/tech a few days ago. After examining the panoramic roof operation my guess is when it tilts up this may interfere with the front cross bar if installed. Wish the cross bars were available as I would be willing to be the guenie pig...

·
Registered
32 Posts
My worry is that it is a weight/support issue. I do not believe that even just venting the sunroof would actually be interfered with the cross bar (though they are pretty low-profile in this new design). I still got the panoramic sunroof, but will need to use a cargo carrier at some point. I may purchase the crossbars at some point and eventually take my chances. If it is an interference thing, no big deal. I need the added storage space more than I need to open my sunroof. I usually use the cargo carrier once a year, so I would just put the crossbars on when needed. Won't need it this summer luckily.

Still...would like to get a straight answer some day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea sucks that I can't even get the the stupid cross bars. Was really disappointed that nobody at the dealership was willing to acknowledge this issue. However, for my long trip their giving me a different vehicle for my planned long trip this weekend. Since I will not put a hitch on a leased vehicle. So going to get a Armada as a loaner vehicle. However, not really happy with the solution but better than trying to put a cross bars on a Murano with moon roof.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
About this Discussion
107 Replies
45 Participants
darrick04
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing