Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Quick question for ya. I am going i do a
drain and refill on my 2015 murano cvt. Its out of warrenty, so thats not an issue. I am wondering if anyone ever used Castol transmax CVT fluid in their muranos cvt transmission before? It claims to meet ns-3 specs and has excellent reviews. I’m having a difficult time getting genuine nissan oem fluid where I am so this seemed a viable alternative. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hey guys
drain and refill on my 2015 murano cvt. Its out of warrenty, so thats not an issue. I am wondering if anyone ever used Castol transmax CVT fluid in their muranos cvt transmission before? It claims to meet ns-3 specs and has excellent reviews. I’m having a difficult time getting genuine nissan oem fluid where I am so this seemed a viable alternative. Any thoughts?

Thanks
The Castrol CVT fluid should be fine.

However, if you want to use the very best for a only few bucks more, consider using AMSOIL CVT fluid.

Check out their study:

Reactions: Robotaz

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you use non-OEM, make sure it has a warranty like Amsoil does, and make sure you follow procedures to retain warranty.

Amsoil is good at making products with little wear. I’m curious how they do at making products that require friction. They may be fine.

Personally I wouldn’t use Castol unless it’s synthetic.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Amsoil is a good oil, but I have a lot problems with that "field study" and frankly, I think it's more of a marketing ploy than anything else. This is the terse description of their field testing (...they also included some relatively low resolution photos of the CVT pulleys and belt for comparison).

"Four vehicles (two equipped with AMSOIL CVT Fluid and two with Nissan NS-2 CVT Fluid) were driven 100,000 miles before the transmissions were torn down and inspected."

First, the biggest flaw in the study is that they only studied four cars. A sample size of four is not enough to draw any conclusions about anything since the results could have been pure chance. Second, the test was done on "vehicles"--well, which vehicles? Were they all the identical? If not, how can you compare different vehicles that may be different model years, which may have different CVTs that were perhaps manufactured in different facilities? Also, the procedures were vaguely described. It says the vehicles were driven 100,000 miles and then the CVTs were inspected, but it never specifies that both sets of vehicles had new fluid--that is, did they drain the fluid from two of the vehicles and refilled with new AMSOIL and leave the old OEM fluid in the other two vehicles for another 100,000 miles or did those vehicles get new OEM fluid? Were all the vehicles driven in identical conditions? Finally, the test was not done by an unbiased independent third party. AMSOIL has a financial interest in making sure that their oil appears to be superior to the OEM fluid (and competitors for that matter).

Again, if someone said they were going to use AMSOIL CVT fluid I would tell them that's fine, but I wouldn't tell anyone that it's better than the rest of the available options solely on the results of their "testing." Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Great points!

However, I think AMSOIL has a very solid reputation earned over decades...

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
Full disclosure: I becam3 an Amsoil user (and dealer, although I don't sell) more than 20 years ago. The following is a bit of history and a lot of opinion...

I started using Amsoil because I did research on synthetics. I started using them in 1977 and have done so ever since. I found Amsoil's research persuasive, and they have a long track record. They were among the first, or actually the first, to get into the synthetic oil market at the time that jet engines were developed and required higher temp tolerant oils. Synthetics were the answer to that need. They've been in the retail market about 60 years, since 1972. Mobil 1 went on the market in 1974, which slightly post-dates Amsoil but is still one of the longest track records in synthetics.

I've used Amsoil products and Mobil 1 pretty much interchangeably (not mixing) for decades. My trust level is highest in those two product lines and I believe their reputations and expertise are well established.

If someone has a Murano that's still under warranty, my recommendation for the CVT and transfer case is to use ONLY the factory lubricants, period. That way there's no question about materials in two assemblies which I regard as under-built and vulnerable to breakdown.

Once you're out of warranty, you can use what you want, but I personally would use only Amsoil or Mobil 1 replacements for the factory fluids.

Reactions: Robotaz

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Try the 'Project Farm', on youtube. While not scientific, the bloke did a 'competition' of various engine oils, Amsoil being one. There are a few clips in the series of face offs, I think this is the finale and provides a summary comparison of all oils tested.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Try the 'Project Farm', on youtube. While not scientific, the bloke did a 'competition' of various engine oils, Amsoil being one. There are a few clips in the series of face offs, I think this is the finale and provides a summary comparison of all oils tested.
What's funny is that AMSOIL won his "competition" and yet near the end of the video when he summarizes the results he acknowledges that Amazon and SuperTech (i.e. Walmart brand) are what he uses in his personal vehicles. :LOL:

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
What's funny is that AMSOIL won his "competition" and yet near the end of the video when he summarizes the results he acknowledges that Amazon and SuperTech (i.e. Walmart brand) are what he uses in his personal vehicles. :LOL:
It's kind of difficult to get Amsoil in many places, because it's mainly handled by individuals rather than retail outlets. I personally find it easier to use Mobil 1 just because it's widely available on short notice. But I really like the Amsoil filters best of all.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's kind of difficult to get Amsoil in many places, because it's mainly handled by individuals rather than retail outlets. I personally find it easier to use Mobil 1 just because it's widely available on short notice. But I really like the Amsoil filters best of all.
I’m surprised you don’t use OEM filters. I’ve had Mobil 1 and Amsoil filters starve my F150 of oil at startup because they’re universal filters that don’t adequately fit the situation. I found out the hard way after months of asking myself, “why does my engine sound like it’s going to explode when I start it?” Universal oil filters that the factory engineers would laugh at. It’s not about filtration. It’s about pressure differential and ability to hold oil in the galleries. Stock filters work. Some aftermarket don’t unless filtration of particles is the only criteria. I do have the luxury of having a Toyota with TRD filters available that filter better without modifying pressure differential, so I’m lucky. My wife’s Murano uses OEM only. Still sounds like a dying beast at startup, but always has since new.

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
Interesting point, and one I hadn't heard before. I've mainly used Amsoil filters in my 1983 280ZXT and it's the same filter as Fords of the same year. I just haven't had that problem, and I like the anti-drainback valve built into them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you use non-OEM, make sure it has a warranty like Amsoil does, and make sure you follow procedures to retain warranty.

Amsoil is good at making products with little wear. I’m curious how they do at making products that require friction. They may be fine.

Personally I wouldn’t use Castol unless it’s synthetic.
Yep, the Castrol Transmax CVT is synthetic.

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I’ve done a lot of forum combing over the last few days and quite a few people have been using the Castrol product in their various model nissan cvt’s requiring ns-3 and I have yet to find a person who has had a problem. I guess I’ll give it a shot. I would love to try the Amsoil but all I had available was Castrol and valvoline, and the valvoline only went up to ns-2 requirement. So yeah… Castrol it is lol. Gonna do 2 drain and fills a week apart and then get on a schedule of replacing it every 60,000km’s.

My murano has 186,000kms on it and has never had the fluid changed. I’ve had it inspected and my fluid “deterioration date” is only 131. But I sampled the fluid myself out of the capped dipstick tube and it seems pretty black. I feel a drain and fill would be a good idea and I owe it to the car for its years of good behaviour. I’m hoping I’m not making a mistake messing with it but I just can’t get behind the idea that its a “lifetime” fluid. They say “lifetime” but what exactly is it the lifetime of? To me if sounds like when my fluid fails and the cvt burns up, thats its lifetime lol. I’m hoping to extend its life a bit doing this.

·
Registered
319 Posts
… get on a schedule of replacing it every 60,000km’s.

My murano has 186,000kms on it …
Sorry for off topic, you want to get on schedule? You already have 186K. How long are you planning to keep this car?

No, let me ask different way, how long do you think Mo can last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
186k kilometers is only about 115k miles. I think a third gen Murano can go well over 200k miles, probably 300k as some 1st gen Murano owners have... Overall, the third gen Murano appears to have fewer issues than the first two generations. JMO...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys

Thanks
I’m too scared to touch my fluid when it’s hot it’s sort of amber colour and once I clean it on tissue its yellowish , next day it becomes purple or light blue colour on the tissue so in my opinion I’m just gonna let this baby ride till it dies it’s already got 90k miles 2007 MO. Some people say changing the fluid won’t hurt some people say changing will hurt really confusing…. And then u think oh what if I change it , will ruin my tranny and then again u think maybe it won’t…….

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
I’m too scared to touch my fluid when it’s hot it’s sort of amber colour and once I clean it on tissue its yellowish , next day it becomes purple or light blue colour on the tissue so in my opinion I’m just gonna let this baby ride till it dies it’s already got 90k miles 2007 MO. Some people say changing the fluid won’t hurt some people say changing will hurt really confusing…. And then u think oh what if I change it , will ruin my tranny and then again u think maybe it won’t…….
If you use the factory lube and simply drain and refill, you won't hurt anything.

Reactions: NissanXTC
1 - 20 of 24 Posts