Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Murano has ~18k miles on it and has had this quirky issue since day one, when I drove it home and parked it on my sloped driveway.

When parked on an upward hill (~15° to 20°; front higher than rear), the lift gate will open 100%, then will immediately come back down about a foot. It hit my head once. On a flat surface or downward slope, the lift gate operates fine.

I know that you can adjust the liftgate height by pressing and holding the liftgate switch for 5 seconds. I made sure to adjust it to full height.

The dealer was quite baffled by it. They replicated the issue on a new 2015 Murano on their lot and concluded that this behavior was intentionally programmed into the liftgate. I've contacted Nissan Regional Consumer Affairs and of course, they just referred me to the dealer.

It just makes no sense to me why the liftgate would do this on a hill. In fact, it should be very difficult to program this in. Maybe there's a software bug in the Hill Start Assist System that is interfering with the liftgate?

Does anyone else with a 2015 Platinum Murano have this issue?

·
Registered
58 Posts
More than likely Nissan utilizes some sort of "anti-pinch" sensor that prevents the liftgate from fully opening or fully closing when the vehicle is parked on a slope or incline. The power sliding doors on my Honda Odyssey have the exact same safety feature. The idea is to prevent someone from lopping off their arms or legs in case the door comes "flying back" as a result of the increased slope. Maybe Nissan is utilizing this same technology in the rear liftgate?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i just recently had an issue with my liftgate.. I was told the the strut like mechanism on the lift gate are electronic controlled and the left side on mine was busted. they replaced that and when i asked about the other side they said it is still ok and nissan wont let them replace it.. only got 11K miles on mine.. and the i barely use the lift gate, maybe 2x a week and that is..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue on my 2015 SL with ~20K miles: The liftgate opens to 100% and then comes down about a foot BUT this happens on flat surfaces as well. I'm a taller guy and constantly hit my head because of this. I need to take it in for the ABS anyway so I will have them look at this and other issues and update when I hear back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue on my 2015 SL with ~20K miles: The liftgate opens to 100% and then comes down about a foot BUT this happens on flat surfaces as well. I'm a taller guy and constantly hit my head because of this. I need to take it in for the ABS anyway so I will have them look at this and other issues and update when I hear back.
I have the same issue and my head is starting to hurt. What is the solution?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update!! Technical bulletin: Liftgate motor

I had my 2015 Platinum Murano at the dealer for a different reason and complained that the rear hatch behavior just doesn't make sense. (Recall that they told me this routine was intentionally programmed into the liftgate).

This time, a different service advisor told me that there is a technical bulletin regarding "weak rear hatch motors". They replaced them under warranty, and now the liftgate opens 100% on an upward slope!!!:laugh:

I searched and could not find the Technical Bulletin. The parts that show up on my service invoice are:

90561-5AA0B DRIVE UNIT-POWER
90560-5AA0B DRIVE UNIT-POWER

I don't understand how a weak motor would explain what my liftgate was doing. I think that there was some other issue with a limit switch or something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update!! Technical bulletin: Liftgate motor

I had my 2015 Platinum Murano at the dealer for a different reason and complained that the rear hatch behavior just doesn't make sense. (Recall that they told me this routine was intentionally programmed into the liftgate).

This time, a different service advisor told me that there is a technical bulletin regarding "weak rear hatch motors". They replaced them under warranty, and now the liftgate opens 100% on an upward slope!!!:laugh:

I searched and could not find the Technical Bulletin. The parts that show up on my service invoice are:

90561-5AA0B DRIVE UNIT-POWER
90560-5AA0B DRIVE UNIT-POWER

I don't understand how a weak motor would explain what my liftgate was doing. I think that there was some other issue with a limit switch or something.
Most power liftgates, if they "sag" after opening, is because of the non-powered strut getting weak. I've had that problem on my 2010 Chev. Equinox. I replaced that strut for $30 and everything worked perfectly. The non-motorized strut is the one really doing all the heavy lifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts