Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Murano S that has no roof rails installed. I bought it used and just figured it would be a piece of cake to add a rack to it but looking around here I see conflicting info as to whether this is possible.

Can anyone confirm if I can buy rails and add them to add a third party or OEM crossbar to?

I see what look like plastic inserts where the rails would be but various info seems to imply that adding rails isn't possible.

If I can't add rails has anyone used a third party crossbar system that is more of a universal type that works well?

It never occurred to me an SUV wouldn't take rails and crossbars. My old Toyota Sienna had no issues with this I'd figure an SUV (SPORT utility vehicle) would be a no brainer for this.

Sorry if this seems redundant but every post I see about this and crossbars or roof racks is discussing Murano's that came with rails or says you can and can't. Some of the posts are a little older so hoping there is a more definitive answer to this now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I assume the plastic you see comes off and the rails on higher models can be installed. Have you asked your dealer?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a 2015 Murano S that has no roof rails installed. I bought it used and just figured it would be a piece of cake to add a rack to it but looking around here I see conflicting info as to whether this is possible.

Can anyone confirm if I can buy rails and add them to add a third party or OEM crossbar to?

I see what look like plastic inserts where the rails would be but various info seems to imply that adding rails isn't possible.

If I can't add rails has anyone used a third party crossbar system that is more of a universal type that works well?

It never occurred to me an SUV wouldn't take rails and crossbars. My old Toyota Sienna had no issues with this I'd figure an SUV (SPORT utility vehicle) would be a no brainer for this.

Sorry if this seems redundant but every post I see about this and crossbars or roof racks is discussing Murano's that came with rails or says you can and can't. Some of the posts are a little older so hoping there is a more definitive answer to this now.
Search and you will find! There's a complete post on adding roof cross bars to the 3rd Gen. with walk thru.

Have a good day.

PS Here's the installation instructions:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/diskdocs/1/U/T/1UT9.PDF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume the plastic you see comes off and the rails on higher models can be installed. Have you asked your dealer?
I haven't contacted the dealer yet as it was the weekend when I started looking at this and they weren't open. I'll give them a call tomorrow if I can get the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did contact the dealer and they confirmed that you CANNOT add factory roof rails to a 2015 Murano that does not have them. It is by far the most asinine thing I've ever run into on a vehicle and in particular an SUV.

Which I guess brings me to the question - Who has successfully put an aftermarket one on or is there such a thing?

Honestly I'm dumbfounded that this can't be done with a simple OEM part/add-on.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
Search and you will find! There's a complete post on adding roof cross bars to the 3rd Gen. with walk thru.

Have a good day.

PS Here's the installation instructions:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/diskdocs/1/U/T/1UT9.PDF
So I did contact the dealer and they confirmed that you CANNOT add factory roof rails to a 2015 Murano that does not have them. It is by far the most asinine thing I've ever run into on a vehicle and in particular an SUV.

Which I guess brings me to the question - Who has successfully put an aftermarket one on or is there such a thing?

Honestly I'm dumbfounded that this can't be done with a simple OEM part/add-on.

did you see the install instructions above ?

it does not mention anything about being model specific, just says Murano

can you take a picture of your roof, does it have the inserts you can remove and proceed with the install ?

does it look like this, sort of ? this has one of the covers removed...

and if you don't have this on your vehicle not sure how you would get rails on it, this is where the cross rail attaches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts