Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone - Another issue I hope you might be able to help with.

So I'm not near my car right now, in fact, am away on business so can't do anything at the moment other than remotely troubleshoot with him.

My son is driving my car and hasn't had any problems for the last 4-6 weeks -- including earlier today.

He was on his way to school, and the car will not start. Luckily the car was in the garage, so no need to tow it right now.

The battery was replaced about 8 weeks ago as the old battery had a dead cell (according to the CanadianTire technician) and was replaced under warranty.

Son has been driving the car without any issues till now, and before I left on business it was working also.

I read on a Google search that it could be an alternator or starter.

If it was the alternator wouldn't everything be "black" when you try to start the car (i.e., dead battery)? All the electronics/lights turn on when he pushes the brake and hits the start button, but of course, the car just won't start.

How can you troubleshoot the alternator or starter? I don't want him to try to boost it and take it to school only to fail then we've got to pay to tow it. The battery has a warranty, but I don't want to tow it to CT because they charge way too much if they find something else wrong and I have a mechanic that I use that will allow me to buy my own parts and change it so I'd rather tow it there instead-but I need to know what the problem could be so I can buy the parts.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting steps?

Thanks!

M

Quick update - Son spoke to his friend who is a mechanic and he thinks its probably the starter. We'll try to boost it first, but I'll order the starter off of Amazon. But would still appreciate any troubleshooting steps.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
Given what you have written, my bet is your alternator is failing... A starter failing is very rare, I don't think I have seen a post in this forum regarding one failing...

Have your mechanic load test both the battery and alternator.

Reactions: mos2009murano

· Registered
99 Posts
Hey Everyone - Another issue I hope you might be able to help with.

So I'm not near my car right now, in fact, am away on business so can't do anything at the moment other than remotely troubleshoot with him.

My son is driving my car and hasn't had any problems for the last 4-6 weeks -- including earlier today.

He was on his way to school, and the car will not start. Luckily the car was in the garage, so no need to tow it right now.

The battery was replaced about 8 weeks ago as the old battery had a dead cell (according to the CanadianTire technician) and was replaced under warranty.

Son has been driving the car without any issues till now, and before I left on business it was working also.

I read on a Google search that it could be an alternator or starter.

If it was the alternator wouldn't everything be "black" when you try to start the car (i.e., dead battery)? All the electronics/lights turn on when he pushes the brake and hits the start button, but of course, the car just won't start.

How can you troubleshoot the alternator or starter? I don't want him to try to boost it and take it to school only to fail then we've got to pay to tow it. The battery has a warranty, but I don't want to tow it to CT because they charge way too much if they find something else wrong and I have a mechanic that I use that will allow me to buy my own parts and change it so I'd rather tow it there instead-but I need to know what the problem could be so I can buy the parts.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting steps?

Thanks!

M

Quick update - Son spoke to his friend who is a mechanic and he thinks its probably the starter. We'll try to boost it first, but I'll order the starter off of Amazon. But would still appreciate any troubleshooting steps.
What is his driving routine like? Is it mostly short trips. Sometimes the new batteries aren't fully charged. I'm guessing that was the case and if your son only drives short distances, the battery got drained. I'd fully charge the battery first before going the route of replacing starter or alternator.

To test the alternator, you can connect a multimeter to the battery terminals while the engine is running. If you see more than 14v then your alternator is ok. Or just get a cheap battery/alternator tester.

· Registered
23 Posts
Automotive lighting Font Machine Auto part Motor vehicle

Hey!

I don't know if you have this part on your murano, BUT it caused me TOO MUCH angst until I figured out that it existed, and was corroded to the point it was just easier to replace... it is the fancy positive cable connector on the battery

· Registered
933 Posts
View attachment 56200
Hey!

I don't know if you have this part on your murano, BUT it caused me TOO MUCH angst until I figured out that it existed, and was corroded to the point it was just easier to replace... it is the fancy positive cable connector on the battery
Yes they rot within 5 years for certain. We’re at 7 years almost and I’ll have to replace it again soon. Properly greasing and installing the part helped a lot. Less corrosion.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Given what you have written, my bet is your alternator is failing... A starter failing is very rare, I don't think I have seen a post in this forum regarding one failing...

Have your mechanic load test both the battery and alternator.
Thanks - sorry for the late reply. My son spoke to a mechanic we know and he said he'd need to diagnose in his shop but figures either an alternator or starter also. Sigh. Sucks being so far away so may have to wait until I get back to take it to the shop.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is his driving routine like? Is it mostly short trips. Sometimes the new batteries aren't fully charged. I'm guessing that was the case and if your son only drives short distances, the battery got drained. I'd fully charge the battery first before going the route of replacing starter or alternator.

To test the alternator, you can connect a multimeter to the battery terminals while the engine is running. If you see more than 14v then your alternator is ok. Or just get a cheap battery/alternator tester.
So prior to me leaving, the car was mostly used on weekends as I WFH so not a lot of weekday use.

He was using it to get back and forth from school/work - so probably 30-minute drives one way. I've got a multimeter somewhere but again being so far away I can't even remember where it is (though it should be in a toolbox... bad habits die hard and I probably but it in a spot where I'll be able to find it easily, but of course now I can't remember).

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 56200
Hey!

Yeah - I think my Murano has that. And now I remember the last time I changed the battery the tech said that a fuse had blown, but looking at the picture I didn't realize that there is a fuse on that part. I wonder if this is what they were speaking about? I'll see if my son can take a picture of the battery and connector by removing the plastic cover on it.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah - I think my Murano has that. And now I remember the last time I changed the battery the tech said that a fuse had blown, but looking at the picture I didn't realize that there is a fuse on that part. I wonder if this is what they were speaking about? I'll see if my son can take a picture of the battery and connector by removing the plastic cover on it.
Son just took a picture of it, and it looks the same but there are no fuses on it - looks like on the picture you have there is one or two fuses there.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my son's friend tried to boost the car, and it did start so it could also be the alternator not charging the battery, which is what someone else also suggested it is.

Today he tried to restart it, and of course - nothing.

But oddly enough there was a constant clicking sound - and a Google search said potentially it's the starter/solenoid making that clicking sound. The sound finally did stop.

Told him not to mess with it anymore, and just wait. I'll be back in two weeks then we can test the battery and if I can at least get it started will take it to the mechanic.

Question if it is the alternator, is that an "easy" DIY? How about the starter?

...ummm... NVM. I just looked up changing the alternator on YouTube and not going to happen. I'm not THAT DIY! LOL! I think I'll just make my mechanic 'rich'.

· Registered
99 Posts
So my son's friend tried to boost the car, and it did start so it could also be the alternator not charging the battery, which is what someone else also suggested it is.

Today he tried to restart it, and of course - nothing.

But oddly enough there was a constant clicking sound - and a Google search said potentially it's the starter/solenoid making that clicking sound. The sound finally did stop.

Told him not to mess with it anymore, and just wait. I'll be back in two weeks then we can test the battery and if I can at least get it started will take it to the mechanic.

Question if it is the alternator, is that an "easy" DIY? How about the starter?

...ummm... NVM. I just looked up changing the alternator on YouTube and not going to happen. I'm not THAT DIY! LOL! I think I'll just make my mechanic 'rich'.
The clicking sound is normal. Happens when the battery is low and not strong enough to start up the car.

As MuranoSL2003 suggested above, it is either a bad battery or failing alternator. Hopefully, it's just the battery.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
How many miles?

You mentioned you replaced the battery a couple of months ago. A defective battery is fairly rare. The alternator failing at some point is more common.

Have have it and the battery load tested to be sure they are both good before trouble shooting further.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many miles?

You mentioned you replaced the battery a couple of months ago. A defective battery is fairly rare. The alternator failing at some point is more common.

Have have it and the battery load tested to be sure they are both good before trouble shooting further.
Hmmm... guessing it's around 150k km or about 93k miles.

Once I get back I'll get the battery load tested.

Now one "mod" I made was I purchased an aftermarket LED bulbs from Amazon - could this "kill" a battery?

· Registered
3,562 Posts
Hmmm... guessing it's around 150k km or about 93k miles.

Once I get back I'll get the battery load tested.

Now one "mod" I made was I purchased an aftermarket LED bulbs from Amazon - could this "kill" a battery?
Have both the battery and alternator load tested.

So long as the LED bulbs were installed correctly there shouldn't be a problem. The headlight circuit should only be active when the headlights are on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts