Nissan Murano Forum banner

2015 Murano Tow Capacity

11K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Miskryie 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Murano and was going to trade in for a 2015. However, when I read the sales brochure it stated that the towing capacity is 1,500 lb. My 2013 Murano can tow 3,500 lb according to the handbook and brochure. The sales guy checked with the service department and sure enough the towing capacity has been more than halved. What gets me is that the wheelbase, the engine and the CVT are the same for both models. So has Nissan found out that a CVT is not suitable for towing? Has the company had CVT failures?
Laros.

#2 ·
I believe I read somewhere that the CVT in the 2015 is a slightly different model than the earlier series. I can't swear this is accurate.There has been considerable speculation here about the reason for the change in stated towing capacity.

CVTs work fine for towing within their rated limits. Of course Nissan has had failures - all companies have transmission failures. But since the first series, I've seen no evidence that their failure rate is higher than that of other car lines.

#4 ·
I am thinking about a trailer purchase. The manual indicates 3500 lbs. Is this "hard" or can I go above the weight to say 4000 lbs . Proper sway bar, wiring harness, brake kit etc to be purchased. One rv dealer indicated that Nissan is a little conservative wrt towing capacity. I understand that "grey, black" and fresh water are to emptied when in transit. The dry weight is 2550 and UVW is 2900. Please help?

#6 ·
You're referring to the manual on the trailer, right?

I don't have a 2015 Murano but I understand it has a 1500-pound towing limit.

I share their hunch that Nissan is conservative on the towing capacity, but 1500 pounds conservative is taking a lot on faith. I personally would not tow a 3000 pound trailer with a Murano that had a 1500 pound rating, regardless of what the hitch is built to carry.

#7 ·
Did we ever learn why the towing capacity was derated from 3,500 to 1,500#? Is it the same JATCO CVT?

-njjoe

Reactions: Miskryie
#10 ·
This is a dated thread and on the wrong forum, but according to the owner's manual for 2015 the max towing capacity is 1,500 pounds "...assuming a base vehicle with driver and any options required to achieve the rating. Additional passengers, cargo and/or optional equipment will add weight to the vehicle and reduce your vehicle’s maximum towing capacity."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.