Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been running great! I got home from the grocery store, turned my car off, unloaded groceries. Went back out to move my car and the running lights, dash lights, etc started flashing rapidly and wouldn’t stop. It was crazy. The car wouldn’t start. I could hear a ticking sound from the electrical box under the hood. The only way we were able to make the flashing lights and ticking stop was to unhook the negative battery cable. The battery was low on voltage so we charged it with a charger. That didn’t work so we tried to jump it. No go. We put a new battery in it; it appeared that was the cure; however, when we started it it ran for about 10 seconds and then quit. Now it won’t start. It turns over, but just won’t start. I’m clueless now! Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
A sequence of actions occurs to me. This sounds like an electrical issue.

First, I'd check the voltage on that new battery and make sure it's above 12V. If not, put the charger on it and fully charge it.

Second, I'd disconnect that battery for around a half-hour to reset the electrical system. While it's disconnected, check both ends of the positive and negative cables to make sure you have good contact on both.

Third, hopefully it will start after you re-connect the battery. Check voltage across the battery terminals right after it starts running and confirm it's around 14.4 volts. If not, your alternator isn't charging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like your alternator needs to be replaced. If your battery is low charge, then either your alternator is going out and not charging your batter. Or your batter needs to be replaced. But if you replaced your battery, then I would recommend replacing your alternator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My car has been running great! I got home from the grocery store, turned my car off, unloaded groceries. Went back out to move my car and the running lights, dash lights, etc started flashing rapidly and wouldn’t stop. It was crazy. The car wouldn’t start. I could hear a ticking sound from the electrical box under the hood. The only way we were able to make the flashing lights and ticking stop was to unhook the negative battery cable. The battery was low on voltage so we charged it with a charger. That didn’t work so we tried to jump it. No go. We put a new battery in it; it appeared that was the cure; however, when we started it it ran for about 10 seconds and then quit. Now it won’t start. It turns over, but just won’t start. I’m clueless now! Any help would be appreciated.
In case anyone else stumbles across this, I had the same problem with a '15. We were stuck out of town, and a police car and tow company guy try a jump start battery. Neither worked. We had to completely disconnect the battery for a bit, then reconnect it. It started with a jump after that. We immediately replaced the battery when we got back home.

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
Now that you've gotten a lot of helpful feedback, what happened? You need to diagnose the problem before you can fix it, and we've given you tools to do that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
it's the battery. Likely your "new" battery was not fully charged (this is common). My battery went out last year on my '15 these things have a timer ends life at the 5 year mark (Nissan job security)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts