Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

Brand new to the forum. Just impulse-bought a CPO gun metal, 2015 Murano with 38K on it and it came all the bells and whistles. While I really like the car as an overall package, that BOSE system is an absolute joke! It's a shame that they can get away with charging extra for this garbage.
My other car is an A4 sedan with two 8" mids and one 7" midbass driver per front door and single 15" sub in a 3.7 cubic foot enclosure powered by 4 amps, 3 group 31 batts and a CES 270 amp alt.
I promised my wife I wouldn't mess with it but Jeeze, the audio underwhelms and under-delivers so badly that i'm going to have to do something about it. :)

The bad:
There is no detail in the front stage (even while sporting a center channel).
Tweeters are off axis and whatever they have in there is way too attenuated and has zero "sparkle".
Door speakers/Mid woofers are muddy and lack upper midrange.
Rear doors have more midrange than the front does, pulling the sound-stage backwards.
Subwoofers suck at subwoofering.

The good:
The signal coming from the OEM headunit is dead flat and is equalized by the bose amp(s), so I won't have to retrofit an aftermarket unit.
The OEM BOSE speakers are standard sizes and replacements options are plentiful.
The car has trunk space for days.
I have a ton of gear that never made it into my builds that I'll be able to put together an entire system with.

I'll update this thread with pics and details for anyone interested as I go. Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself.

TL/DR - Bought a MO, BOSE is trash, I'm heavy into audio, gonna do an install.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your install

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your install
Thanks Assad, I'll be working somewhat backward, I'm gonna put my enclosure together, then compare/choose a sub based on useable airspace, THEN pick an amp.
I took some measurements today for the sub enclosure, decided on a stealth box design, utilizing as much of the spare tire space (spare included) as possible. From the top, It'll look like a conventional rectangular box but it'll have a recess where the current "subwoofer" sits, looking like the entire bottom will be fiberglass.
I'll start adding pics when I make some progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Subscribed! Good luck with your build - look forward to watching your progress. Just bought a '15 Platinum and will gutting the audio system, too. Except - I'm doing the unthinkable and going to an aftermarket deck. I've been using an Alpine wireless CarPlay deck for a year or so in my previous car and there is no way I can go backwards to the stock deck. Looks like I will have to give up the 360 camera, but that is a small price to pay to get the audio sound AND functionality up to par. I plan on handing this car down to my son in about 8-9 years so it will get plenty of use. Anyone else with Bose done a head unit swap to aftermarket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small update! Subs, amps and a few odds and ends have arrived. Haven't done anything to the car really though because I've been lazy, busy and cold lately and half of this stuff isn't going in until the weather's better. in the meantime, I'll be installing one sub and a Dual DA301L in a small ported box I have laying around.

I settled one the following:
2 - Skar Audio VD-8 (not-so-shallow, shallow mount subs)
1- Skar Audio LP-1000.1D V2
2 - Skar Audio LP-80.4

Pics are coming, I swear, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here. I am just in the process of buying an arctic blue 2015 platinum. I have no idea what I have in my van, but it cranks the base so awesome. This bose sucks for what I am used to. Can the amp and sub be upgraded without having to put another stereo in it? Not a deal breaker for buying the car, read so many good things about it. I just need to hear my bass thumping like in my van. I have no idea what to buy or how to so it. I would rather find someone to help instead of having to go to a place and spend and arm and a leg to have them install and possibly try and sell me stuff I don't need. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just used my Note 10, via bluetooth, using Prime Music. Decided to use the apps equalizer.................it's like night and day. Can adjust bass output more to what I expected from the so called "Bose Premium sound system". Which only tells me the system is much more capable than the standard "Bass, Treble, Fade, L/R" only adjustments on the audio unit!
Thought I read somewhere there "Use to be" some type of Bose stamped adjustment in the audio unit, which was removed by some type of SD card update.

Anyone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts