Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a rattling a while back during highway driving coming from the undercarriage. Almost sounded like something in the rear door. Anyway, did some searching and noticed the rear tire wind guides...you know the things that sit in front of the rear tires and look like mud-guards, but aren’t? Well it appeared that a retention bolt or clip had come out leaving only one hex bolt holding the guide on. This made it flap in the wind and rattle up against the bottom of the car. I checked the other side and it too is the same. I thought it would need the same hex bolt that is still holding the guide on but once I removed the guide it is clear there is some kind of push clip that is supposed to be inserted into the 2nd and/or 3rd hole. Don’t know why they wouldn’t have just included another hex bolt hole but....Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had to replace on both sides the push clips. Maybe they designed it that way to pull those clips out as opposed to being hard bolted and run the risk of those flaps being ripped completely off the car if it bottomed out. I don't know shrug.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually that makes sense I guess. Now that I think about it I did go over a high sidewalk one time while parking off-road at an event. That would have popped the clips for sure. I suppose I would be complaining if I had to replace the guides every time they ripped off at 27.00 a piece as opposed to a couple of dollars for some push on pins. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah a lot of people have had the issue of the clip on the rear wheel air channels breaking off. I guess its smart design on Nissans end to ensure the whole thing doesn't break off but they could have included a stronger clip to prevent them from breaking off so easy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, I’ll admit it. I thought they were little mud flaps. What is a wind guide? And I’ve replaced the plastic rivets holding them in too.

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's what the parts guy called it when selling me the clips. I'm not 100% sure myself this is what it's called..

·
Registered
616 Posts
The wind guide disrupts the "vortex" coming off the back of the tire to improve MPG at higher speeds by "guiding" air into the wheel well and forcing it out the sides as an air dam for air flowing down the side of the car.

If you'll notice, the front of the wheel well also has a similar device. The more of the tire thread circumference that is covered decreases drag, so more MPG, however little.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had to replace the plastic rivets multiple times already. But I bought a box on Amazon instead of getting them directly from Nissan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had to replace the plastic rivets multiple times already. But I bought a box on Amazon instead of getting them directly from Nissan.
Got a link? Last time I was at dealership for service the parts guy just gave me 4 of them. But would rather have a few on hand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just purchased these on Amazon. Same ones they sell as OEM.

PartsSquare 30pcs Car Retainer Clips Nylon Fender Liner Fastener Rivet Push Type Retainer Clips Replacement for Nissan/Infiniti 01553-09241

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And it is correct that the rear tire wind guides are to assist in a better automobile drag coefficient.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The wind guide disrupts the "vortex" coming off the back of the tire to improve MPG at higher speeds by "guiding" air into the wheel well and forcing it out the sides as an air dam for air flowing down the side of the car.

If you'll notice, the front of the wheel well also has a similar device. The more of the tire thread circumference that is covered decreases drag, so more MPG, however little.

Have a good day.

I didn't notice a similar device in the front of the vehicle. Any additional information on their location? Are they supposed to look like the rear flaps? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything underneath

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's part of the under side molding, but you'll notice it sticks down about an inch and extends across the width of the tire thread.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got a link? Last time I was at dealership for service the parts guy just gave me 4 of them. But would rather have a few on hand.
I bought this set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts