Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. Needing some advice. Our 2015 Platinum has 59000 miles. The transmission is working fine and we baby it as much as possible. Now... in trying to keep it working this way do I.
1. Leave it alone.. don't screw it up..if it ain't broke don't fix it...etc...etc.
2. Have the dealer change the fluid (trans and tran cooler.. gravity method... change filter too. for Preventive maintenance? to try and keep it going as long as possible.

We'll drive this car at least another 60000 miles. I like not making car payments and the wife love it.

thanks..

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I would do the drain and fill.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For some reason CVT service is drain and refill, they don’t change filter.
If you like to keep the car for long your CVT is the weakest spot, so maintenance is the key.
Im doing this service every 30K miles plus diffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
i also have a '15 i have 75k miles. i have not changed the cvt fluid and probably wont. It can be botched and you could could end up with issues. I dont see anything in the manual about changing the fluid. The process (in a thread here) is pretty extensive and requires the trans to be certain precise temperatures when draining, filling as well as levels need to be exact . I wont risk it. I can assure the dealer wont take correct steps

·
Registered
282 Posts
Its part of Premium Maintenance schedule. I know, there is nothing in recommended schedule.
But Im not sure if trany can run for long without maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think I'm going to change the CVT fluid on my 2021 AWD when the deterior count reaches about 30,000. Right now, at mileage 12,000, that count is 930. I figure with my current rate of use and the deterior count going up mostly during the hotter months, I might expect to change the fluid in the year 2030 or something. :D

But, seriously, I plan to drop the CVT drain pan and check out the filter and pan magnets (if they exist) once my warranty is up (probably before year's end) and I'm at around 40,000 miles, and only because I'm curious to know if metal shavings are still an issue with this transmission.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think I'm going to change the CVT fluid on my 2021 AWD when the deterior count reaches about 30,000. Right now, at mileage 12,000, that count is 930. I figure with my current rate of use and the deterior count going up mostly during the hotter months, I might expect to change the fluid in the year 2030 or something. :D

But, seriously, I plan to drop the CVT drain pan and check out the filter and pan magnets (if they exist) once my warranty is up (probably before year's end) and I'm at around 40,000 miles, and only because I'm curious to know if metal shavings are still an issue with this transmission.
If that's your plan then you may also want to consider getting the old CVT fluid analyzed (e.g. Blackstone Laboratories--only $30). Since you're the original owner and the fluid is OEM from the factory, you would get a really good idea of how the CVT is wearing over time based on your driving style.

Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Registered
18 Posts
Change it every 30 to 50k. Sure, it's technically doing it too soon by Nissan standards, but it comes down to the "P" word for me; preventative. Older cars, non CVTs and the like can be revitalized with these flushes you hear about, as the viscosity can only be improved upon when getting spent fluid out of the torque converter. I find it, with more modern cars, flushes are purely an upsell, especially with cars with harder to access lines.

I also change my oil with synthetic every 5k. Some will say Im throwing my money away, and like my choice, it's just that, choices. I've learned throughout my early years as a mid-level mechanic and personal experiences that once you let the engine oil degrade, it begins the internal degradation of internal components, so why take chances.

I have been using Mobil1 since the 90s in all my vehicles. I use synthetic CVT spec. fluid since owning vehicles requiring...that part is non negotiable, yes even with other makes [Honda specifically as another vehicle in my household] DIY drain and fills are very easy in all cases, even for the beginners. Disposal of fluid must be a important responsibility and why I save larger gallon containers. YouTube is your friend in most cases.

/endramble

1 - 8 of 8 Posts