Nissan Murano Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Glad your CVT is back to normal. It should always feel smooth and with no jerkiness. The only noticeable non-smooth behavior will be a very slight hesitation/lurch occasionally when slowing down and passing through 20 MPH or so when the lockup torque converter releases, this is normal.

It sounds like your dealer remedied the problem under your CPO warranty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad your CVT is back to normal. It should always feel smooth and with no jerkiness. The only noticeable non-smooth behavior will be a very slight hesitation/lurch occasionally when slowing down and passing through 20 MPH or so when the lockup torque converter releases, this is normal.

It sounds like your dealer remedied the problem under your CPO warranty?
Thank you for the CVT advice! And yes, it was covered under the CPO warranty. I purchased the security plus extended warranty as well for peace of mind, glad I did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I’m new to forums. Actually, this is my first post on a forum. We bought a 2015 Murano SL AWD with 21,000 miles in April of 2019 and we currently have 29,000 miles on the vehicle. Long story short dealership found a code that implied the transmission needed repair. The dealership replaced:
-CVT CONTROL VALVE ASSY
-REPROGRAM A/T CONTROL UNIT
-FLUSH CVT COOLER WITH VALVE BODY/TORQUE CONVERTER REPLACEMENT
My question is for those people on here who had work done on their transmissions, have there been any other issues since the repairs? I’m just concerned that there is already serious repairs needed on a vehicle that only has around 30,000 miles. Thank y’all.
Adding a data point - ours has always been a little bit biased toward being upshifted at low RPM, resulting in a kind of rumbly 1K RPM @ 10-15 MPH. Last week, it began stuttering at that same point. We took it in, and it sounds like it's the CVT control valve as well. I'll report back once it's been repaired.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Adding a data point - ours has always been a little bit biased toward being upshifted at low RPM, resulting in a kind of rumbly 1K RPM @ 10-15 MPH. Last week, it began stuttering at that same point. We took it in, and it sounds like it's the CVT control valve as well. I'll report back once it's been repaired.
How many miles do you have on your Murano? Has the CVT fluid ever been serviced?

In another thread recently @nissanguymaster mentioned CVT belt/chain wear debris clogging the valve body as being the main reason they fail. He mentioned this was a problem with 1st gen Muranos. I'm curious if 3rd gen Muranos have a similar problem...

·
Registered
15 Posts
How many miles do you have on your Murano? Has the CVT fluid ever been serviced?

In another thread recently @nissanguymaster mentioned CVT belt/chain wear debris clogging the valve body as being the main reason they fail. He mentioned this was a problem with 1st gen Muranos. I'm curious if 3rd gen Muranos have a similar problem...
We've never had the transmission fluid touched, as it's not recommended.

·
Registered
937 Posts
We've never had the transmission fluid touched, as it's not recommended.
How many miles do you have on your Murano?

Yeah, they only recommend to inspect it every 10k miles, unless towing or driving on rough or muddy roads, in which it should be inspected every 60k miles. They mentioned if it's not inspected, to change it every 60k miles under these conditions. The attachment is from my '19 owners manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
This is the first time I noticed the inspection of 10k miles for the CVT...

The third gens don't have a CVT dipstick that I'm aware of... I guess they expect the dealer or owner to remove the fill bolt to inspect it? Or do they mean to check the deterioration date via OBD2? I don't think I have every heard of a deterioration data value above 210,000 which they indicate requires CVT fluid replacement...

·
Registered
15 Posts
We got our Murano back, and they found P17F1 DTC set in the TCM. Refer to the PDF linked here.

They performed the CVT chain inspection, and said it was fine. They replaced the control valve and reprogrammed the TCM.

The bulletin says that the valve body should be replaced. I wonder if this is what they meant by control valve, if they didn't follow the bulletin, or if the bulletin I found isn't the latest revision.

So far, it does seem to be resolved.

EDIT: Just found another bulletin that mentions only replacing the control valve, here (PDF warning).

·
Registered
937 Posts
So far, it does seem to be resolved.
Thank you for the update, keep us informed so that it may help others in the future.

Just wondering if the issue occurred early in its life, or after many miles...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for the update, keep us informed so that it may help others in the future.

Just wondering if the issue occurred early in its life, or after many miles...
Ours has ~55K on it. We were growing concerned, as the drivetrain warranty has almost expired.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yeah, that's way too early, but hopefully it's resolved. I'd be concerned too...

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only noticeable non-smooth behavior will be a very slight hesitation/lurch occasionally when slowing down and passing through 20 MPH or so when the lockup torque converter releases, this is normal.
This is normal? My 2015 started having this behaviour a few months back and it's driving me nuts. I took it in and they changed out the valve, that obviously didn't fix it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It really depends on if we're referring to the same thing...

I've driven a Murano with a CVT for the last 17 years, and what I'm referring to in the post above is normal from my experience... It's the torque converter unlocking. If it's particularly rough for your Murano when unlocking, or it lurches forward excessively, then that would not be normal...

Have you had your dealer recheck it since the valve body replacement? Also, maybe ask to take a test drive in another Murano to compare.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mine has done this since day 1. Never driven a CVT before so I brought it into the dealer countless times and everytime I was told it was normal. Like stated above, if it's a very harsh unlock or lurch forward, then that's not normal. But then again, I find my torque converter unlocks smoother some days than others. Not sure if its computer programming or whatever but some days I will feel no engine braking and a very smooth unlock, almost like nothing happened. Othet days the engine braking will be strong and the unlock will delay and release last second.

Not sure why this is but it's been like this for 3 years without any signs of getting worse or better.

Oh yeah, I also find the engine braking and torque converter unlock is smoother when the AC is on. So I just keep my AC on all the time. When I turn the AC off, I can hear there is less load on the engine, but the engine braking and unlock is much stronger...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine has done this since day 1. Never driven a CVT before so I brought it into the dealer countless times and everytime I was told it was normal. Like stated above, if it's a very harsh unlock or lurch forward, then that's not normal. But then again, I find my torque converter unlocks smoother some days than others. Not sure if its computer programming or whatever but some days I will feel no engine braking and a very smooth unlock, almost like nothing happened. Othet days the engine braking will be strong and the unlock will delay and release last second.

Not sure why this is but it's been like this for 3 years without any signs of getting worse or better.

Oh yeah, I also find the engine braking and torque converter unlock is smoother when the AC is on. So I just keep my AC on all the time. When I turn the AC off, I can hear there is less load on the engine, but the engine braking and unlock is much stronger...
You would feel that jerk and a spike in the RPM before slowing down right?

·
Registered
543 Posts
You would feel that jerk and a spike in the RPM before slowing down right?
Yes.

I find my experience with my 2017 CVT are as follows...

1) There is no feel of engine braking when slowing down, the torque converter unlocks without any type of surge/jutter.

2) Engine braking is strong and the torque converter unlock seems delayed, leading to a slight surge forward feeling when unlocks due to no more engine braking.

3. Very little engine braking and a very slight, almost non existant (but still there) jutter feel when the torque converter unlocks.

I'm not sure what the reason is for the different behaviors but it can change day to day, sometimes drive to drive.

Like mentioned, I find it's much smoother with the AC on. Seems like the engine braking is much more subdued...

Also doeant matter if I use premium or regular gas. Different type of gas station, or if I wear a sombrero or top hat while driving.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts