Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and looking for feedback on those of you how have these models.
I am looking at 3 different models/trims/years and trying to gauge which to go with.
2018 Midnight has 37K
2017 Platinum has 67K
2016 Platinum has 68K
Price difference is +- $4000 between the 2016-2018
I drove the 2018 Midnight and noticed shifting from P to D was a bit rough, oddly enough for the newer of the 3. I should also state this was a previous rental. Yes i know "red flags" but I was reassured that they maintained the car regularly and it goes through the CPO 190 point inspection etc and still has balance of the warranty (3year 60,000K Comp and 7 year, 120,000K Power becuase of CPO program). Also clean carfax.
The 2017 Platinum drove great, 1 owner, no issues but the mileage is what worried me. No Comp warranty anymore, only powertrain for 2 more years or 33K kms
The 2016 Platinum just came in and havent seen it or took it for a drive yet, but looks like its comparable to the 2017 above. Also no comp warranty, only powertrain and possible extended warranty thru the CPO program - 7 years or 120K kms

Are their pros and cons between the years? What about Trim -Plat to Midnight? Any issues you all had that might raise concerns?
Although cosmetic, I like the memory seats below the arm rest on the drive side and the hidden inputs for USB and 3.5 aux by the center console, on the 2016 and 2017.
I'm getting the 20" rims either way, but no LED low beam, heat/cooled seats, power retract rear seats and some of the functionality with Nissan Connect apps (apparently there isnt any in 2016 or 2017)
The LED low beams look great since it matched the DRL and if I were to get the Midnight, this was the first thing I would swap out for either the LED bulbs or HID kit. heated/cooled seat, never had them and isnt really a deal breaker and the power retract rear seats is cool, but not a deal breaker either.

Thanks All!
Appreciate any insight you all have.
"Navin the Noob" lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
The 2016 does not have Apple CarPlay. The 2018 will have both CarPlay and Android, the 2017 only CarPlay. Nissan Connect Apps are useless and the other stuff is a paid subscription. The USB in the compartment of the 2016/17 makes the compartment useless but it's not a big deal. To my knowledge there weren't that many changes made in the 2018 besides the repositioning of the USB and probably colors and such. I sold vehicles for a long time and was a used car manager and I can tell you rentals are usually maintained, but sometimes its off schedule, not that big a deal, but something to think about. They can also have had body repairs that are not on the Carfax so go over the vehicle well and make sure it's nothing major. A repainted bumper or something like that doesn't necessarily mean accident, they could have painted it because of bugs or chips. They are driven by many drivers and some people are put off by that. Also, come resale time you may find some put off by that in the history. The rental should be slightly cheaper than a trade because of that.

I wouldn't worry about the miles on the 16 or 17, you can always extend the warranty. (personally, I'd extend the warranty of all three) I don't know much about the Midnight trim or its price difference between it and the Plat. My advice would be to go with the one that "feels" right to you and fits your budget and how long you keep a car, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2016 does not have Apple CarPlay. The 2018 will have both CarPlay and Android, the 2017 only CarPlay. Nissan Connect Apps are useless and the other stuff is a paid subscription. The USB in the compartment of the 2016/17 makes the compartment useless but it's not a big deal. To my knowledge there weren't that many changes made in the 2018 besides the repositioning of the USB and probably colors and such. I sold vehicles for a long time and was a used car manager and I can tell you rentals are usually maintained, but sometimes its off schedule, not that big a deal, but something to think about. They can also have had body repairs that are not on the Carfax so go over the vehicle well and make sure it's nothing major. A repainted bumper or something like that doesn't necessarily mean accident, they could have painted it because of bugs or chips. They are driven by many drivers and some people are put off by that. Also, come resale time you may find some put off by that in the history. The rental should be slightly cheaper than a trade because of that.

I wouldn't worry about the miles on the 16 or 17, you can always extend the warranty. (personally, I'd extend the warranty of all three) I don't know much about the Midnight trim or its price difference between it and the Plat. My advice would be to go with the one that "feels" right to you and fits your budget and how long you keep a car, etc.
Appreciate the feedback, Thanks Michael! I was swaying towards the Midnight because of the lower mileage, but the shifting from Park to Drive concerned me, even though repairs should be in the scope of the 60K comprehensive warranty.

Going to take the 2016 and 2017 for another test drive to be certain and yes, I will also get the extended warranty for peace of mind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why don’t you look for a 2017.5 Murano platinum midnight. My lease just ended on mine and had so many compliments. It has all of the features of the platinum and adds the black wheels, roof rails, mirrors. Make a list of your wants/must haves and we can help steer you to the best trim level

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think we have that option in Canada. From what i've seen on some of the for sale car websites, Its either Platinum, Midnight, or SL, SV, S.
What you leased would be AWESOME! All the platinum features, plus the black trim! Never seen that publicized in Canada. But I might be wrong.
Ideally I would like exactly what you had. Platinum that has all the bells and whistles (whether I use them all or not) along with the midnight all season/winter mats, blacked out rims, roof rails, mirrors, etc. From the looks of things, I will have to decide 1 or the other.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dont think we have that option in Canada. From what i've seen on some of the for sale car websites, Its either Platinum, Midnight, or SL, SV, S.
What you leased would be AWESOME! All the platinum features, plus the black trim! Never seen that publicized in Canada. But I might be wrong.
Ideally I would like exactly what you had. Platinum that has all the bells and whistles (whether I use them all or not) along with the midnight all season/winter mats, blacked out rims, roof rails, mirrors, etc. From the looks of things, I will have to decide 1 or the other.
That stinks. I say stick with a platinum as you have all the extra amenities and the better headlights. Is Apple car play or android auto something your looking for? If so then I would be looking at a 2018 as here in the states 2017.5 is what added CarPlay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That stinks. I say stick with a platinum as you have all the extra amenities and the better headlights. Is Apple car play or android auto something your looking for? If so then I would be looking at a 2018 as here in the states 2017.5 is what added CarPlay
Thanks! I also saw other members swapping their 2016 Nav/Radio for the 2018s for AppleCar play and Android Auto.
I might do this if I can pick up the correct serial numbered unit from a scrapyard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks! I also saw other members swapping their 2016 Nav/Radio for the 2018s for AppleCar play and Android Auto.
I might do this if I can pick up the correct serial numbered unit from a scrapyard.
I don’t know if it’s that easy as just swapping the head units. Plus they are not cheap. If your going to go through all that why not just get what you want in the vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t know if it’s that easy as just swapping the head units. Plus they are not cheap. If your going to go through all that why not just get what you want in the vehicle.
Not too sure how difficult it is either, but i've read up on a few ppl doing so and it seems the pin allocations are the same, etc.
Going to do more research before making a decision.
The easiest route would be getting the 2018, but haven't seen any platinum's in my area for a reasonable price.
Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would lean to a 2018 because of android auto/apple car play. The integration though glitchy, imo is worth it. I bought a 2018 CPO vehicle at the beginning of last year and I'm not sure it's worth the paper it's written on. I see it as a marketing sales trick to try and boost the price of a vehicle. I found issues with the bodywork that the CPO failed to catch and there was pretty much nothing they would do to fix it. I called Nissan Canada and they directed me back to the dealer. Went around in circles and I gave up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would lean to a 2018 because of android auto/apple car play. The integration though glitchy, imo is worth it. I bought a 2018 CPO vehicle at the beginning of last year and I'm not sure it's worth the paper it's written on. I see it as a marketing sales trick to try and boost the price of a vehicle. I found issues with the bodywork that the CPO failed to catch and there was pretty much nothing they would do to fix it. I called Nissan Canada and they directed me back to the dealer. Went around in circles and I gave up.
Thanks @ZeroChalk.
AA and ACP is worth it, that's why I was looking into swapping the DD in-dash radio for this feat. Problem is, I don't see any reasonable 2018 Plats around my area, so forced to either wait, or go with the 2017 that at least has apple car play. I'm also skeptic about this CPO thing too. Depending on whatever car I go with, if its going through CPO, my wife and I are both going to look over the entire car and make sure they fix and blemishes before I take position. The sales rep said he would create the work-order if theres anything thats needed but with your situation, I will def get it in writing too.

Thanks,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not to hijack this any further but I had a 2017.5 Platinum Midnight Edition and lease ended and I just got into a Mazda CX-9 and it has a lot of great features. More room inside. And if you get an older model I see you can add Apple car play and android auto for $200 by the dealer. Wish Nissan could do this.
What all have you been cross shopping?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to hijack this any further but I had a 2017.5 Platinum Midnight Edition and lease ended and I just got into a Mazda CX-9 and it has a lot of great features. More room inside. And if you get an older model I see you can add Apple car play and android auto for $200 by the dealer. Wish Nissan could do this.
What all have you been cross shopping?
Appreciate that, I looked into the CX-9 as well but it would have to be either the GT or Signature series to get the same features and pricing is higher then the older Plat Muranos.
There arent many 2016s - 2018s in my area for sale unfortunately, but thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not too sure how difficult it is either, but i've read up on a few ppl doing so and it seems the pin allocations are the same, etc.
Going to do more research before making a decision.
The easiest route would be getting the 2018, but haven't seen any platinum's in my area for a reasonable price.
Thanks!
I swapped out the radio unit, Nav with Bose, from my 2106 to a 2017.5 for a total cost of about $350, the majority of which was recouped by re-selling the 16 unit online. It's an easy swap. There's a thread or two devoted to it and how to find the correct model numbers from either eBay or salvage yards, which you can search nationally through car-parts.com.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I swapped out the radio unit, Nav with Bose, from my 2106 to a 2017.5 for a total cost of about $350, the majority of which was recouped by re-selling the 16 unit online. It's an easy swap. There's a thread or two devoted to it and how to find the correct model numbers from either eBay or salvage yards, which you can search nationally through car-parts.com.
Thanks Michael, I wanted to get Android Auto as well as Apple Carplay. Already looking into 2018s at scrap yards! Glad the swap worked for you and happy to know that is an option!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not sure what differences there may be for Canadian vehicles/warranties but the CPO pretty much is both a marketing tool and an extension of the powertrain warranty from original date of service. It also enables you to purchase a comprehensive "wrap" covering the vehicle for the mileage/time that you want, a bit cheaper than without the CPO. CPO, as with any used car, doesn't cover body and/or cosmetic issues. That being said, part of the CPO inspection process is to make sure the car has no frame damage and that any prior repairs are within industry norms. (in other words, that the repair wasn't substandard). Besides finding frame damage, any cosmetic repairs you want would need to be negotiated when you are buying the vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts