Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long read ahead, I'm sorry.

I purchased a 2017.5 Nissan Murano a couple months back from a local dealership (not a Nissan dealership, I believe this is just one they had traded in). Found this gem purely by luck as it was a single owner vehicle with a CLEAN CarFax report and only 16,500-ish miles on it. It also has the "champagne" interior that they no longer put in their vehicles, to my understanding. I believe the previous owner must have been an older person due to the low miles and because the inside looked as though it hard barely been touched. About 2 weeks ago, I started having issues with my radio deciding to only work intermittently. Sometimes I get in it, and the radio works perfectly fine with no issues. But other times, I will start the car and the Nissan logo will appear, followed by the "Nissan Connect" logo. And then nothing. The screen will go black. It will repeat this 4 or 5 times before it will just completely stop trying to come on.(This also takes out my compass on the dash). The kicker, is that the vehicle's warranty went out back in November. And I declined the extended warranty. I took it to the dealership that I purchased it from but they decided they problem was too big for them to figure out and they sent me down the road to the Nissan dealership. Nissan dealership tells me I need a whole new radio (a whopping $2200 part!). Mind you, my car is only at 20,500 miles at this point. Someone mentioned maybe trying an aftermarket radio but I spoke to a local guy who installs radios and speakers and such, and he told me that he didn't think that an aftermarket radio would be compatible with all the features offered by my car (mainly, that it wouldn't be compatible with all 4 cameras on my car). He suggested that it might not even be the whole radio that is the issue and he would hate to put that much money into a new radio and that not even be the problem (so now that is a concern nibbling in the back of my mind).

This car was my first "big girl" purchase, as I had only owned vehicles in the past that had been very used and I am determined to take very good care of this car and make it last.

So, I'm coming to you guys asking for any sort of advice you may have on what you would do in this particular situation.
I feel like I have 3 options here:
  • let the dealership put in a new from Nissan radio
  • order a used stock radio online (~ $200-300)
  • order an aftermarket radio and hope all my features still work

My gut honestly tells me that I don't need a whole new radio but I also don't know very much about electrical systems in these vehicles. I'm just looking for someone who has had similar experience or who knows more than I do about these types of things that might be able to steer me in the right direction.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Intermittent problems are possibly why the previous owner gave it up with such low mileage, perhaps realizing it would cost a lot to correct. Electrical glitches can be tough and costly to diagnose. If you're in the dark as far as doing things yourself automotively, hopefully you have someone mechanically inclined who can lend you a hand. Off the top of my head, the things I would try first are (and I don't know this system at all, so others may correct me and say what I'm suggesting wouldn't matter)...

- If able to see the screen at some point, try to enter the menu setting that allows you to reset everything back to factory defaults. If you can't see the screen, use the steering wheel buttons to reset to factory defaults. Refer to the below video for your 2017.

- Disconnect the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes, then reconnect it. While at the battery, make sure both battery connections are tight and don't have any green/yellow crud on them. If they are corroded, that may be part of your problem. You can drive to an auto parts place and they will usually be able to do a quick test of the battery and charging system for you. Or, simply go to someone you trust who's a mechanic who might do it for free.

- Check the fuses that pertain to the radio/media center to make sure they're not loose in their sockets or slightly blackened inside. The below link might be a good visual aid to show you where things are... Nissan Murano Electrical Fuse Replacement Guide - 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

- Not sure if a loose antenna would cause that kind of a random glitch. Maybe try to wiggle the "antenna" located on the rear roof of the car. It should be tight. While there, you might want to check to make sure it's not damaged or cracked. Maybe something hit it at some point

- More complicated...remove the radio/media head unit and make sure no connections are loose.

That's all I have for now...

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would suggest taking out the SD card and giving it a clean and then replacing it. It might be something as simple as that and will only cost you 20 seconds of your time.

Just something to try before spending hours and money.

The SD card is located at the top right corner of the screen. If I recall correctly

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would suggest taking out the SD card and giving it a clean and then replacing it. It might be something as simple as that and will only cost you 20 seconds of your time.

The SD card is located at the top right corner of the screen. If I recall correctly
My system doesn't have an SD card slot. Is that some sort of firmware/software reference thing the head unit uses to boot up each time, or is it just something on which media can be placed for playback? Regardless, it's a good suggestion, since maybe a dirty/faulty contact point is creating a read problem, so the system keeps rebooting to try to reacquire the media correctly.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hmmmm. I thought they all did. My 2017 does. Its where the Navigation and some system data is stored.

Maybe it's been changed 2017 onward...

I've marked in red where it is for the 2017..

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nope...nothing but plastic on the 2021. "Is there an SD card slot?" is one of the first questions I asked the salesman during my first of five test drives with MO, since all I saw were USB and aux ports, and I prefer to use SD cards for media because I've found them more reliable and versatile than flashdrives. I know the software updates give the option of WIFI or USB, so I'm fairly certain no SD slot exists that's usable by the driver, since there's no selection for such a slot within the media settings. If one does exist for the sake of driving the head unit, it's probably located on the back of the unit. I'd have to read the manual to be sure, though. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I believe '19 on onward the head units changed from Clarion to Bosch. The Bosch head unit does not have an SD card slot. Also, the the navigation map software changed from Navteq to TomTom, and are updated via USB or OTA (Wi-Fi.) The maps from '19 onward are also free (for an unknown period of time,) whereas prior year Murano map upgrades had to be purchased and installed via the SD card.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Per the suggestion of someone on this thread, I took the SD card out, and the radio started working just fine, minus the navigation features. I put the card back in (I did my best to clean the card and blew the port out to get any dust or anything out), and the radiogoes back to not working.
I made a video of it, but I can’t seem to find a way to post that on this thread.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You'd need to upload the video to a place like Youtube and then paste the link here.

Can you insert that SD card into a computer to see if it's able to be read? I'm assuming it's just a normal FAT or exFAT formatting. That the radio works but not the navigation, I wonder if "auto update" is active and maybe the system is trying to get the update from the SD card, but the needed software is missing or corrupt, so it's unable to complete the task and keeps retrying. If you're able to, go into the navigation settings and see what software updating is set to. If set to AUTO, change it to MANUAL and see if that helps. However, if a software update failed partway through at some point, then that update may need to be completed before Navigation is able to work again. I assume you can get such software through maybe a Nissan website, download it onto the SD card, and then update the system and maybe everything will be okay.

Does your SD card say Nissan or maps or somethnig, such as the one in the attachment?

Maybe this link has what you need, but someone with your exact system (or who knows it) is better qualified to instruct you.

Interesting Nissan service bulletin regarding the SD card...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
It sounds like the SD card is not the original. Original owner may have remove the SD card to remove personal info. The dealer you bought it from may have gotten a card from EBay, but they don't really work because it's not matched to the unit.

You'll need to go to Nissan to get the proper SD card. A nav update will not resolve the issue, it needs a working card to update. Since it sounds like you've already been to a Nissan dealer and they didn't catch the issue, you'll have to prove to them that the card is the issue. Just show them that the radio works without the card, but no nav and can't save radio settings.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Mo48

·
Registered
510 Posts
It sounds like the SD card is not the original. Original owner may have remove the SD card to remove personal info. The dealer you bought it from may have gotten a card from EBay, but they don't really work because it's not matched to the unit.

You'll need to go to Nissan to get the proper SD card. A nav update will not resolve the issue, it needs a working card to update. Since it sounds like you've already been to a Nissan dealer and they didn't catch the issue, you'll have to prove to them that the card is the issue. Just show them that the radio works without the card, but no nav and can't save radio settings.
That's what I was thinking once I read that Nissan Service Bulletin, but because she said it just started acting up two of weeks ago it seems that the SD card was working, so that seems to point to something else having happened. Perhaps there was some subscription-based thing that expired two weeks ago and the head unit is acting funny because it's searching for a valid/activated piece of information to work properly. I think the simple thing to try first is, check to see if the system is set to check for software updates automatically and, if so, set it to manual. Each time the car/head unit is turned on, the system may be be trying to update itself, but can't because perhaps WIFI is disabled so it can't find what it needs to complete. But, you'd think it would shoot a message such as, "No network connections available for software update."

She may have the correct SD card, but it's somehow damaged or the file system is corrupt or the use of its software not usable due to expiration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that’s what my SD card looks like. The cover for the card slot says “SD Maps” on it. I have a friend who works as a service writer at a Nissan dealership in the next town over. I sent him the video (I’ve been updating him about this issue every step of the way) and he said he would do a little research, talk to someone more familiar with the issue, and check to see if they could maybe just program another card.
I really appreciate everyone’s help here! I had read several threads on this site in the past, especially when trying to decide if this vehicle was right for me. So when it came to having an issue myself, I knew I could count on this community to give me some ideas / answers. You guys rock!

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
I think the simple thing to try first is, check to see if the system is set to check for software updates automatically and, if so, set it to manual. Each time the car/head unit is turned on, the system may be be trying to update itself, but can't because perhaps WIFI is disabled so it can't find what it needs to complete.

She may have the correct SD card, but it's somehow damaged or the file system is corrupt or the use of its software not usable due to expiration.
Until the Bosch radios, the only way to update the radio is with the SD card. There is no way to check for updates thru menu settings and no built-in WIFI. The only way it can get stuck in update mode is if you're trying to update with the wrong SD card. This I know from personal experience when I was sent the wrong SD card map update.

Since she has an inside Nissan contact, her best bet is to get the official Nissan SD card to eliminate that issue. Plus, the SD card most likely will be free.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just out of curiosity, codell, around the time radio/nav started acting funny, had you recently ejected that SD card, or maybe temporarily inserted a different SD card to see if the system could play videos, or maybe did you try copying somethng to that Nissan card? That's great you have a Nissan guy who can help you. However, if you can think back to anything that you (or maybe someone else who has access to the car) did regarding anything related to the radio or nav system, it might help resolve the problem more quickly. Had anyone recently done any work in your car that may have tampered with wiring somewhere? I don't suppose you had recently cleaned the inside windows or dash and infotainment center, and perhaps some water/chemicals entered the SD slot or CD slot and caused some problems with the circuitry? I'm just spit-ballling in case the SD card itself isn't the issue and you have to fall back on something else.

EDIT: BTW, just in case there's a remote chance it matters to the NAV system (and provided, of course, that the SD card was ejected even for a moment at some point two weeks ago) maybe slide the lock switch to one position, then reinsert into its slot and power on the radio. If it doesn't work, remove the card and slide the switch back the other way fully. I'm just thinking that perhaps if the card was removed and the switch accidentally changed position, just maybe the NAV system needs to be able to read AND write a piece of data to the card to validate something before engaging the system. Possibly if it can't write to the SD card, it's stuck in a loop of continually trying to... Might be worth a shot. And, just in case you don't know what I mean, refer to the attachment. The yellow slide button on the Nissan card is the lock switch and has two (possibly even three) positions. Try both extremes (one end or the other). If neither makes a difference, try positioning the lock switch in the middle. Hey, it's only a few minutes of time and imagine it that's all the problem is. In fact, even if you didn't remove the SD card two weeks ago, maybe when you recently inspected and cleaned the card per the advice given above, you accidentally changed the position of the lock switch. Perhaps the contacts WERE just dirty, but because you inadvertently changed the lock switch position while cleaning it, the system still can't work. What are the odds? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Codell, this might be a shot in the dark, but have you tried the radio reset trick?

I've got a 2017.5 radio and this trick has helped me out several times when the radio starts acting up and my siriusxm channel labels are messed up among other things.

Here's the video to check out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just out of curiosity, codell, around the time radio/nav started acting funny, had you recently ejected that SD card, or maybe temporarily inserted a different SD card to see if the system could play videos, or maybe did you try copying somethng to that Nissan card? That's great you have a Nissan guy who can help you. However, if you can think back to anything that you (or maybe someone else who has access to the car) did regarding anything related to the radio or nav system, it might help resolve the problem more quickly. Had anyone recently done any work in your car that may have tampered with wiring somewhere? I don't suppose you had recently cleaned the inside windows or dash and infotainment center, and perhaps some water/chemicals entered the SD slot or CD slot and caused some problems with the circuitry? I'm just spit-ballling in case the SD card itself isn't the issue and you have to fall back on something else.

EDIT: BTW, just in case there's a remote chance it matters to the NAV system (and provided, of course, that the SD card was ejected even for a moment at some point two weeks ago) maybe slide the lock switch to one position, then reinsert into its slot and power on the radio. If it doesn't work, remove the card and slide the switch back the other way fully. I'm just thinking that perhaps if the card was removed and the switch accidentally changed position, just maybe the NAV system needs to be able to read AND write a piece of data to the card to validate something before engaging the system. Possibly if it can't write to the SD card, it's stuck in a loop of continually trying to... Might be worth a shot. And, just in case you don't know what I mean, refer to the attachment. The yellow slide button on the Nissan card is the lock switch and has two (possibly even three) positions. Try both extremes (one end or the other). If neither makes a difference, try positioning the lock switch in the middle. Hey, it's only a few minutes of time and imagine it that's all the problem is. In fact, even if you didn't remove the SD card two weeks ago, maybe when you recently inspected and cleaned the card per the advice given above, you accidentally changed the position of the lock switch. Perhaps the contacts WERE just dirty, but because you inadvertently changed the lock switch position while cleaning it, the system still can't work. What are the odds? :)
No, I hadn't messed with the SD card prior to this experience. And I am the only person who would have had access to the card.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Codell, this might be a shot in the dark, but have you tried the radio reset trick?

I've got a 2017.5 radio and this trick has helped me out several times when the radio starts acting up and my siriusxm channel labels are messed up among other things.

Here's the video to check out.
I wondered about resetting the radio as well but with the SD Card inserted, the radio screen will not come up the point where I could attempt to reset it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Codell, I hope you read the rest of my post above. When you recently inspected the SD card, perhaps while handling it and cleaning it you accidentally write-protected the card, and maybe the NAV system can't write a piece of code to it needed to activate the system. I'd make sure the card isn't locked, just to be sure. Actually, I'd slide the switch both ways and try it both ways, just to be sure. :) What's it going to hurt?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Per the suggestion of someone on this thread, I took the SD card out, and the radio started working just fine, minus the navigation features. I put the card back in (I did my best to clean the card and blew the port out to get any dust or anything out), and the radiogoes back to not working.
I made a video of it, but I can’t seem to find a way to post that on this thread.
(Edit: I found the receipt for the upgrade. The shipping is high because I had it sent via overnight air.)

There is an upgraded SD available, it is $130.00, as I recall, from the Nissan website. It upgrades the maps and the firmware for the 2017.5. I ordered one for my glitchy radio and it solved all of the issues I had, which were minor in comparison to yours, though. Search it on the Nissan USA website. You will need your VIN to be able to order the card.

You can order from the dealer, but at a much higher cost, I'm told.

-DM

2017.5 Nissan Murano SV Premium Package

·
Registered
3 Posts
.QUOTE="codell, post: 761124, member: 160643"]
long read ahead, I'm sorry.

I purchased a 2017.5 Nissan Murano a couple months back from a local dealership (not a Nissan dealership, I believe this is just one they had traded in). Found this gem purely by luck as it was a single owner vehicle with a CLEAN CarFax report and only 16,500-ish miles on it. It also has the "champagne" interior that they no longer put in their vehicles, to my understanding. I believe the previous owner must have been an older person due to the low miles and because the inside looked as though it hard barely been touched. About 2 weeks ago, I started having issues with my radio deciding to only work intermittently. Sometimes I get in it, and the radio works perfectly fine with no issues. But other times, I will start the car and the Nissan logo will appear, followed by the "Nissan Connect" logo. And then nothing. The screen will go black. It will repeat this 4 or 5 times before it will just completely stop trying to come on.(This also takes out my compass on the dash). The kicker, is that the vehicle's warranty went out back in November. And I declined the extended warranty. I took it to the dealership that I purchased it from but they decided they problem was too big for them to figure out and they sent me down the road to the Nissan dealership. Nissan dealership tells me I need a whole new radio (a whopping $2200 part!). Mind you, my car is only at 20,500 miles at this point. Someone mentioned maybe trying an aftermarket radio but I spoke to a local guy who installs radios and speakers and such, and he told me that he didn't think that an aftermarket radio would be compatible with all the features offered by my car (mainly, that it wouldn't be compatible with all 4 cameras on my car). He suggested that it might not even be the whole radio that is the issue and he would hate to put that much money into a new radio and that not even be the problem (so now that is a concern nibbling in the back of my mind).

This car was my first "big girl" purchase, as I had only owned vehicles in the past that had been very used and I am determined to take very good care of this car and make it last.

So, I'm coming to you guys asking for any sort of advice you may have on what you would do in this particular situation.
I feel like I have 3 options here:
  • let the dealership put in a new from Nissan radio
  • order a used stock radio online (~ $200-300)
  • order an aftermarket radio and hope all my features still work

My gut honestly tells me that I don't need a whole new radio but I also don't know very much about electrical systems in these vehicles. I'm just looking for someone who has had similar experience or who knows more than I do about these types of things that might be able to steer me in the right direction.
[/QUOTE]
There is a card with updated firmware and maps available on the Nissan website. It solved all the issues with my 2017.5 Murano. I replied to another reply about this above.
-DM
2017.5 Nisan Murano with Premium Package - Charcoal glass coat with charcoal wheels

1 - 20 of 21 Posts