Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the Murano and am trying to learn all the features. Can/does the Murano display the fuel efficiency while driving? If so, how do I get itto display the real time mpg?

I always like to see what effect things like driving with and without the AC running has on fuel efficiency.

Please advise.

Thank you,

L_S

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your owners manual (if you received it) is your best friend while learning your new car. Toggle through your info display and check out the fuel economy screen to see if it gives you the info you‘re looking for. It may not be as detailed as you may be looking for but it’s an option. Unless I’m completely misunderstanding what you are looking for

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Been looking through the manual and not sure it even does I want.

To be absolutely clear. I want to see, on the display, while I am driving, my current fuel efficiency in mpg. If I floor it; I want to be able to see my current mpg go from say 27mpg, or whatever I am getting, down to 19 mpg. When I turn on the AC while driving; be able to see the current fuel efficiency drop 5mpg (or whatever difference it is).

Does the 2017 have the ability to display the real time fuel efficiency while driving? In the mean time I will keep reading. (y)

Thank you,

L_S

P.S. Where to get the best price on a new key/fob? Mine only came with one. Quite honestly; I want three because two is one, and one is none!

(y)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Been looking through the manual and not sure it even does I want.

To be absolutely clear. I want to see, on the display, while I am driving, my current fuel efficiency in mpg. If I floor it; I want to be able to see my current mpg go from say 27mpg, or whatever I am getting, down to 19 mpg. When I turn on the AC while driving; be able to see the current fuel efficiency drop 5mpg (or whatever difference it is).

Does the 2017 have the ability to display the real time fuel efficiency while driving? In the mean time I will keep reading. (y)

Thank you,

L_S

P.S. Where to get the best price on a new key/fob? Mine only came with one. Quite honestly; I want three because two is one, and one is none!

(y)
You can download a PDF of the owner's manual from here. It's much easier to search for stuff in the PDF:

Be sure the fuel economy screen is enabled in your settings:
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Regarding a second fob, check out this company:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already have a searchable PDF manual thanks though. Found my feature before and didn't realize it. Used it today and found out its not really that useful. Not filtered enough and jumps around too much. On a long flat stretch with CC set to 65 if fluctuates from pretty much 30 mpg to about 45 mpg. Hard to believe that fluctuation is any sort of real.

That being said, I reset the avg mpg and drove up and back on the freeway for about 12-15 miles and in the end she just missed 32 mpg. I bet at night with no traffic and I'm not forced to break/accel she would do better. I'm all sorts of happy with it.

:love:

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
160 Posts
All instant MPG gauges do that because that is what instant gas mileage looks like. Especially using cruise, you will note huge diffs on very slight up and downhills. I've got the same kind of displays in 2 other vehicles, and my '91 BMW that I've owned since 1994 actually has an instant gas mileage needle at the bottom of the speedo. It moves a bit slower than the digital things but I've never found it useful.

There is a gas station about 5 miles from me, with the road home having a 35 mph speed limit. If I don't hit the 2 traffic lights, I can get over 40 mpg in the Murano (from a reset of the mileage reading) going home, and have cracked 50 mpg in my wife's '17 Subaru Forester which is also a CVT. The Murano gets better mileage overall than my prior '09 Subaru Forester (which had a stick and which I bought new). It's amazing for the size, weight, performance, and creature comforts.

The only meaningful calculation is to do manual calculations over a bunch of fills. I have logged mileage for my Mo since new, and at 30k miles, I've averaged 24.1 mpg, every tank and every mile.

• Helpful
Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Premium Member
Oct 2010 Ti Australian Model (Manufactured Japan)
183 Posts
I've averaged 24.1 mpg, every tank and every mile.
Very good. Wished I could, my 2010 AWD approx 98,000km only gets about 21.6mpg US.
And, the fuel consumption reading is a pain, a bar graph with 10 times graduations. My Ford Falcon at least gives a numeric displayed reading, to 1 decimal place.
Cheers

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
160 Posts
Very good. Wished I could, my 2010 AWD approx 98,000km only gets about 21.6mpg US.
And, the fuel consumption reading is a pain, a bar graph with 10 times graduations. My Ford Falcon at least gives a numeric displayed reading, to 1 decimal place.
Cheers
The US EPA gas mileage estimates for my 2018 are 21 city and 28 highway, with 24 mpg as its overall rating. My actual (not using the dash readout which is always optimistic by more than any other car I've owned at 2-3 mpg) is 24.1.

Your 2010 is listed by the EPA with an estimated mileage of 18 city and 23 highway, and 20 overall. So you are beating the estimates for your Murano by more than I'm beating mine.

Engine calibration, aerodynamics, and maybe gear ratios (CVT top gear?) have evolved since 2010. The way to improve your fuel mileage would be to buy a newer Murano.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All instant MPG gauges do that because that is what instant gas mileage looks like. Especially using cruise, you will note huge diffs on very slight up and downhills. I've got the same kind of displays in 2 other vehicles, and my '91 BMW that I've owned since 1994 actually has an instant gas mileage needle at the bottom of the speedo. It moves a bit slower than the digital things but I've never found it useful.

There is a gas station about 5 miles from me, with the road home having a 35 mph speed limit. If I don't hit the 2 traffic lights, I can get over 40 mpg in the Murano (from a reset of the mileage reading) going home, and have cracked 50 mpg in my wife's '17 Subaru Forester which is also a CVT. The Murano gets better mileage overall than my prior '09 Subaru Forester (which had a stick and which I bought new). It's amazing for the size, weight, performance, and creature comforts.

The only meaningful calculation is to do manual calculations over a bunch of fills. I have logged mileage for my Mo since new, and at 30k miles, I've averaged 24.1 mpg, every tank and every mile.
Absolutly not true. My Corolla gave a usable number readout. It was filtered enough to be near static in a flat road at constant speed. Any change uphill or down, and it would register in real time. If i was running the AC and then turned it off you could see it.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
160 Posts
@Little_Scrapper, I did some driving in the Mo today and watched the instant mileage gauge. It's not completely useless. At a steady speed on the cruise the Mo's gauge sits pretty steady with ups and downs during down and uphills respectively.

But basically, I know how to drive for good gas mileage and don't really need the gauge to really tell me. And on the freeway I usually want to drive 75 even though my gas mileage would be much better at 55.

Chances are that the Corolla had less power to spare so the AC likely did take a bigger toll on gas mileage than the Murano. I can afford the gas that it takes to keep myself comfortable.

By the way, I have found that my '18 Murano gets an extra ~2 mpg (and seems to run nicer) if I put some premium gas in it, maybe half a tank so the octane goes from 87 to 90 (our premium is 93). There is no difference in our other cars. So if the price of premium is not too bad I will put some in the Murano as a treat. But yesterday it was 75 cents more so I sure wasn't gonna pay that much more. But if you are escaping a zombie apocalypse and want max range, try premium :)

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
If you want digital accuracy to monitor instantaneous MPG to satisfy your curiosity, you can use an app like Torque Pro. I'm sure that are many other apps for monitoring MPG...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes forgive me guys. I did not really mean totally useless. Having a digital readout is a nice feature that I am used to. Not having what I have always had is just slightly annoying. Ill get over it. Its easy enough to reset the avg mpg and run up the road 10 miles or so with AC and then redo it without to get a good bead.

@MuranoSL2003 The video on TomsKey says I need the same fob for it to work. I have a 3 button. TomsKey shows a 5 button.

·
Super Moderator
1,614 Posts
he video on TomsKey says I need the same fob for it to work. I have a 3 button. TomsKey shows a 5 button.
If you only have the 3 or 4 button fob, then your cheapest replacement is going to at an Ace Hardware store. They sell and program all Nissan fobs EXCEPT the ones with remote start (Usually 5 buttons.). They plug into the ODBII port to program the security system so that the car will recognize the new fob and they also cut the physical key.

Last I checked, cost was about 1/2 of the dealer cost. Just make sure that the person doing the programing is the one that's trained in the store. That person usually only works 9-5 and maybe Saturday. If done incorrectly by an untrained associate, you could lose programming for all your keys.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guy reprogrammed my new fob and cut my key for $120! SOB didnt tell me it would also turn off my bluetooth and erase my phone numbers.

Took me a while to figure out how to get everything up again. LOL But its all working again.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Guy reprogrammed my new fob and cut my key for $120! SOB didnt tell me it would also turn off my bluetooth and erase my phone numbers.

Took me a while to figure out how to get everything up again. LOL But its all working again.
Who is the guy?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Absolutly not true. My Corolla gave a usable number readout. It was filtered enough to be near static in a flat road at constant speed. Any change uphill or down, and it would register in real time. If i was running the AC and then turned it off you could see it.
My 2003 350Z had a continuous digital readout, I loved it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts