Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know if any have exceeded the suggested 1500 pound maximum on the 2016 or 2017 models?

·
Super Moderator
8,809 Posts
Have you searched? The answer is both (1) yes, and (2) it has been discussed at length. No one seems to be sure why the towing load was reduced in later models, but it's suspected that it was to reduce warranty and repair claims.

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts
I had about 1,800 lbs. of gravel in a 4 X 6 wire trailer one time. 8 mile trip home on relativity flat roads. Felt a little heavy on the back end and of course longer to stop.

I will not make a habit of hauling that much weight again. Since then, I've kept it under 1,000 lbs.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,306 Posts
I would add that people oftentimes overlook this important note in the owners manual when it comes to towing capacity.

"The towing capacity values are calculated assuming a base vehicle with driver and any options required to achieve the rating. Additional passengers, cargo and/or optional equipment will add weight to the vehicle and reduce your vehicle’s maximum towing capacity."

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a boat that is around 2200 lbs loaded up. Pulled it around town today to see how it would handle. Didnt seem to have any problems at all. Started out from a stop using the manuel shift just to be overly cautious but not sure if it was needed. The back squatted a little once the trailer was hitched but really nothing abnormal at all. After I put the boat away I did notice some winding in the motor but really not sure if I was being overly observant. Over all ill be cautious but think the murano will have no issues to tow the boat. It barely squatted the back and down and it didnt hesitate to pull it one bit. I did have to switch the ball receiver around though because then boat trailer would not drop down enough to hitch on. After I did it worked perfect.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have a boat that is around 2200 lbs loaded up. Pulled it around town today to see how it would handle. Didnt seem to have any problems at all. Started out from a stop using the manuel shift just to be overly cautious but not sure if it was needed. The back squatted a little once the trailer was hitched but really nothing abnormal at all. After I put the boat away I did notice some winding in the motor but really not sure if I was being overly observant. Over all ill be cautious but think the murano will have no issues to tow the boat. It barely squatted the back and down and it didnt hesitate to pull it one bit. I did have to switch the ball receiver around though because then boat trailer would not drop down enough to hitch on. After I did it worked perfect. View attachment 53238
It’ll tow a boat. It’s whether or not it’s tearing it up or not. I suspect overheating the tranny would be the real issue.

·
Super Moderator
8,809 Posts
This becomes a matter of opinion since Nissan reduced the tow rating for the 3rd series.

If you're towing on the flat and taking it easy, I wouldn't be too worried about it. The critical point would be pulling it out of the water, so that needs to be done carefully. Don't forget that when you fill the gas tank and load stuff into the boat, it's all additional weight, just as passengers and cargo inside the vehicle are.

Just personal opinion: I think most of the manufacturer ratings are conservative, and that's appropriate. You never know what oddball owners will decide to hitch up to a vehicle. But how and when you exceed those limits needs to be done thoughtfully.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I discussed this with my local neighbourhood mechanic. His theory is the reason they limit to 1500 lbs is because the of the CVT transmission.
My trailer empty is 1500 lbs. I really don't want to risk it.

I have to use my wife's Sante Fe to tow it- a real pain- but I admit knowing this before I bought the Murano.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts