Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a lot of information and discussion on various aspects of this issue but I still was at a loss as to what to do. So, having just finished installing mine I thought I would attempt to help others.

If you have an “S” model, the dealer computers do not show any of these parts as being available so you are going to be a pioneer on this one. Basically, you will hear “unless your model comes with the roof rails, cross bars already installed, Nissan does not make any for your Murano.“ In fact this is not true but that’s what you are going to here.

Let me provide some background. I live in Florida and kayak frequently. I purchased a used 2018 Murano “S” with only 10,000 miles on it. It didn’t have anything on the roof that would support 2 kayaks but I figured that could easily be remedied but I was in for a big surprise!

Since the “S” model does not come with roof racks or rails I was left to figure out what to do on my own. So, I purchase the materials needed for one of the other 2018 Murano’s. I needed roof side rails that would accept cross bars. The side rails themselves do not allow for any way to tie down a kayak ie openings in the side rails where you can pass a rope through. That being the case I needed the cross bars. I was originally planning to just rest the kayaks on foam blocks but due to lack of pass through holes in the side rails I was unable to do as planned.

When I purchased the side rails they came with steel mounting brackets that you have to attach to the roof of your SUV. That means, you have to “man up” and drill holes in the roof of your new SUV! Perhaps, I’m just a wimp but drilling holes in my roof made my butt clench. That said, I was not going to back out of the project but I did take my time and double check everything before cutting, drilling or installing.

With all this hassle, why didn’t I just buy an after market roof rack system? That was an option but i wanted a roof system that was permanent that didn’t have to be taken on and off every-time I wanted to go kayaking. I was also concerned with wind noise. I ended up buying genuine Nissan parts, on-line.

Installing the system was quite the project but the installation looks great and I have what I want.

Some of the key points of the install are missing on all of the posts I read before starting. The tough part, how do you fasten the support brackets to the roof of you Murano? After careful deliberation, I chose to use aluminum pop rivets and I’m glad I did. Of course, stainless steel would have been stronger but I couldn’t find any of those locally so I want with the aluminum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how much did this end up costing?
I don’t have the invoices in front of me but ball-parking is was roughly $1,000 and I did the install. That said, I’m happy with the results. Just went kayaking with the new roof system today. With and without kayaks, any wind noise was slight. I’m really happy with how solid the installed system is. It holds 2 kayaks and I was able to cable lock my kayak to the racks. I was really happy with that as I stayed at a motel that was a bit sketchy.

Let me know if you have any other questions? Glad to help out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as mounting the metal brackets, you said you used pop rivets?
Have they help up well? Did you drop the headliner to visually inspect the area before drilling?
I've already sourced the side rails and metal brackets and have them in hand, just didn't know if you had any more information to offer before I tear into this project.
This is the only post I've been able to find where someone added oem rails to a vehicle that didn't have them on this generation.
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Boy, you guys have a bigger pair than I do! No way would I attempt attaching the rails to a vehicle by drilling through the roof! I would have taken the hit and traded in for a vehicle that already had the rails installed. Hats off to ya!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts