Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have about 1500 miles on our 18 Murano and love it. We've used the navigation a bit but have a long trip coming up and was wondering how those in the know believe it will do. I've seen much criticism of the older system but hope the 18 with updates will work well.

Some vehicles allow you to utilize the nav on your phone and show it on the touchscreen. Does that work with the Murano? I'd prefer using the built in nav if it is up to date and works well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2018 and navigation is so so. It works and the display between the gauges is nice but I use the Apple CarPlay on long trips. I struggle to get the Nissan system to find many poi’s and end up using the phone. I really like Waze when I am on the interstates.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Choosing the correct options when you set up the nav will help with getting you there. Our Murano likes to follow a path that rarely agrees with my wife's phone (Here and Google). We have gone down some unusual paths following the factory nav, but been steered wrong by the phone apps, too. Helps to be retired and willing to take the road less traveled, so to speak

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That's kind of what I expected and I'm anxious to hear others comments. I assume yearly updates will help keep everything current.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Google maps via USB connection on my 2018 Murano. Works great. First, need to D/L Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Also, more versatile for calls, texts etc than Nissan Connect. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to find street names on the navigation?

I've had a few times, most recently a few days ago when I did a long trip and could not for the life of me find the street in the search. The street is called Rue Saint Bonaventure. I tried it so many different ways but no luck. So I ended up using my phone l. Then when I was finally on scene I noticed that our navigation spells it St-Bonaventure.

You would think if it shortened Saint then it would use St.Bonaventure and not the " - " in between.

Anyway, I've had this happen a few times where the navigation is different then google maps or the actually street name. It wont let you guess a name in the ballpark, as it only allows for accurate spelling according to its system.

Any workaround?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nope. The other day I wanted Highpoint Rd. System could not produce that address. So then I tried High Point Rd and met with success.
So no interpretation capability in the system

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use Google maps via USB connection on my 2018 Murano. Works great. First, need to D/L Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Also, more versatile for calls, texts etc than Nissan Connect. Give it a shot.
We just completed a 2,000 mile road trip in our 18 Murano. Ended up using some factory nav, some Google maps, and some Waze. We like to use Pandora and had issues trying to use Apple CarPlay for both Pandora and one of the map apps on my phone at the same time. Any suggestions for using both? Apple CarPlay is very finicky and most of the time had to unplug and plug my phone back in to get CarPlay to work. Thanks for the help.

By the way, we found the Murano to be incredibly comfortable and everything else worked great on our trip, which is as it should be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We just completed a 2,000 mile road trip in our 18 Murano. Ended up using some factory nav, some Google maps, and some Waze. We like to use Pandora and had issues trying to use Apple CarPlay for both Pandora and one of the map apps on my phone at the same time. Any suggestions for using both? Apple CarPlay is very finicky and most of the time had to unplug and plug my phone back in to get CarPlay to work. Thanks for the help.

By the way, we found the Murano to be incredibly comfortable and everything else worked great on our trip, which is as it should be.
I use Apple CarPlay and Waze on a daily basis along with Apple Music streaming constantly and have had little issues. One thing to do is make sure bold text is turned off on your phone and make sure everything is constantly updated.
I really like how the factory navigation gives directions in the center gauges and don’t know why it can’t work from one of the map apps. It’s grabbing song name and all other info. But then again on XM radio it doesn’t display the song name or anything in the middle.
The factory navigation is ok in my eyes. I prefer any of the other maps as the traffic and street updates are much quicker than waiting on an update that you need to pay for. I don’t believe in paying for something that I do not need as the phone has it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use Carplay with both music and podcasts while using Apple maps and have no problems. The Nissan nav, while nice to have in the center cluster, cannot be completely silenced and does not provide real time traffic. The Apple maps nav can be use for guidance or ETA only and runs in silent mode if desired.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tried android auto but it feels like the resolution screen on murano is too low and GUI feels oversized and blocking usefull screen area. Plus I don't like how google restricts you to most actions when driving. It is a horrible app. Say, I am on a group SMS, it sends everyone "I am driving" every time someone shares something, wtf. With a little number of apps supporting the app, you lose 99% of your phone features. Want to listen to music from the app that is not certified by android auto, no soup for you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
muranopusher
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing