Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hopped in the car this morning, and about 1/4 mile down the road the dash lit up with a low tire warning. 8 lbs. in the LF. Luckily there was a gas station just around the corner. Love the auto tire pressure feature. Honks when the tire pressure reaches it's set pressure, 35 lbs. in my case.

Got home and found this screw in the middle of the tread.

View attachment 51340

Thankfully, I carry this patch kit, stored in the back compartment along with the tire jack.

View attachment 51341

10 minutes later, the tire was patched and properly inflated.

View attachment 51342

As I was adding air, I noticed that there was another small screw in the tire. If you look closely at the second photo, at top you can just make out the shank of the screw level with the tread. Looked like the head had been worn off. Using needle nose pliers, I was able to gently remove it without an issue.

The city did street sweeping last week and I'm wonder if doing that has brought some of the junk that's collected over the winter along curb out into the road. The street was actually dirtier after the sweeper went thru.

Looks like I need to inspect all the other tires sooner then later. Better include the wife's car also.

Have a good day.
The plug/patch you used is good but to ensure complete safety I would consider taking it to a shop and have the tire removed and a patch glued to the inside of the tire also.

·
Super Moderator
8,058 Posts
If you have to pick up a screw in a tire, the flat part of the tread is the place to do it. No sidewall issues, which would mean it's unrepairable. That ought to work OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
24K on my 2018 Murano. May have another 3-5K on tires. Looking for alternative to the Bridgestone.
I have a 2015 with 20" tires. Got almost 38K on the Bridgestones. Replace with Michelins Primacy Tour. Much quieter and have worn very well for the first 5k.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The plug/patch you used is good but to ensure complete safety I would consider taking it to a shop and have the tire removed and a patch glued to the inside of the tire also.
Thanks for the concern. If done properly, they very seldom leak. Personally, I've never had one fail, even one where the hole needed two patch ropes together to get it sealed.

Once when I was getting new tires, the guy who did the tire change asked me if I'd had a vibration issue. Told him never an issue and ask why he wanted to know? Guess one tire had 7 rope patches in it. He'd never seen that many patches on a car, let alone on one tire. 14 total. Never had an issue with air loss or balance.

The pervious year I'd spend installing network wiring at new construction sites and it seemed every week I was picking up a screw in a tire. Those rope patches have always come thru for me.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's good to know.
My recommendation was only because I bought a kit of those plug patches. The instructions on the back said to try and get an inside the tire patch as well. Covering themselves just in case I guess.
I've never used them yet myself.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sounds like @PaulDay has a heck of a lot of experience and success with the rope method. lol

I think I'll purchase a kit, do you have any suggestions for a quality patch kit you can recommend?

·
Super Moderator
8,058 Posts
I have two BMW 3-series, neither have a spare tire well. I have a plug patch kit and 12V air pump in each. No particular brand of kit, and haven't had to use one yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes and am on 90K on this lot.
It didn’t work occur to me to ask if you were referring to mikes or kilometers. If it’s miles I’m floored by your ability to get that much out of your tires regardless of brand. If it’s kilometers then that’s more understandable with a good set of tires.

Nevermind...I saw where you answered.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sounds like @PaulDay has a heck of a lot of experience and success with the rope method. lol

I think I'll purchase a kit, do you have any suggestions for a quality patch kit you can recommend?
Get a set with the "T" handles. Buy the longer replacement ropes. You can cut them in half if it's a small hole. Do not use the reamer tool unless it's a larger screw that went all the way thru. Always coat the tip and the first 1/2" of rope with tire cement. Push like hell until over half the tool is inserted, then spin a few times before pulling out. Cut off excess rope.

Keep the repair set down along with your jack.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 19,000 miles on my tires and the dealership is saying I need to get new tires. Has any one else had issues with the quality of their tires on the Murano?
I have 60,000 KM 36000 miles on my 2017 and the tires are less than 1/2 worn. Mine is a Canadian car so maybe we get better tires from the factory.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts