Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diving down the highway and my rear passenger window exploded. It sounded like a bomb went off. Glass through out the whole car. I’m glad my 5 month old granddaughter wasn’t in her car seat where she usually sits, it would have cut her bad. Anyone have a similar experience? I only have 17,500 miles on the car, but now I’m afraid to drive it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I, personally have never seen or heard of a side window exploding and covering the inside of the car with glass, unless it was hit with some kind of projectile. I have seen this thru stress and rapid temp changes, but then the glass doesn't really explodes, but kind of shatters/crumbles and is blown around by any wind.

If another vehicle was any where in sight, I would suspect that the window was hit with an object thrown by a tire. If you have glass coverage, just have it replaced and you'll be good to go.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other vehicles insight, I just heard the same thing happening to another person

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
Any window that's tempered glass can pop. It happens to sunroofs fairly often. All it takes is a nick somewhere in the glass and the right kind of stress to occur from going over a bump. I've had a driver's side window shatter when closing a door. Tempered glass is funny that way - bounce a beer bottle off a side window and usually there's no damage. Go over a big expansion joint in the road and pow, your sunroof shatters.

Chalk it up to "damn, that happened" and move on. This could happen to any car, any time but it's unlikely to ever happen to the OP again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve owned cars for 40 years and never had anything like this happen temperature changes, right roads and all. I will get more information from the auto glass repair person today

1 - 5 of 5 Posts