Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2019 Murano SL with rear automatic braking (RAB). The problem is that I keep a hitch mount bike rack on my car all the time (I ride my bike almost every day). Backing up is a nightmare. I found in the manual where RAB can be disabled, but it is only for that trip and it comes back on when the car is restarted. Has anyone found a way to permanently disable the RAB? I can't believe Nissan designed a car that doesn't accommodate a permanent bike rack or other hitch mount system.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
I'll be interested in the responses. I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same function, and I think it's common on many newer vehicles. The menu allows me to go into the settings and un-check the back up brake sensing function (I discovered this was necessary when pulling a trailer and needed to back it up) and memory tells me it stayed off until I turned it back on.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be interested in the responses. I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same function, and I think it's common on many newer vehicles. The menu allows me to go into the settings and un-check the back up brake sensing function (I discovered this was necessary when pulling a trailer and needed to back it up) and memory tells me it stayed off until I turned it back on.
Yes, you can temporarily turn it off, but it turns back on when you restart the car. The more complicated way is to turn it off through the dash menu. But the easier way is to turn off VDC, which is a button next to your steering wheel. Again though, that is just temporary and it comes back on with your next restart. I've also read that when backing up, if you gently keep your foot on the brake pedal, that will also keep the RAB from from abruptly stopping. I've tried that and it works most of the time, but once the RAB kicked in anyway. Seems like turning off the VDC is the quickest and easiest way to disable the RAB temporarily.
Rectangle Font Parallel Symbol Circle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts