Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just purchased a 2019 Murano Platinum with 24,000 miles on it. It was certified and I purchased the extended 100,000/8yr bumper-bumper warranty also. I knew some issues existed concerning the transmission. I also know that generally only the people with problems post. Most do not come on to say they have no issues. Keeping that in mind, what percentage of the Muranos fail? We traded in a 2010 Honda CRV with a 162,000 miles that hardly gave us any issues except brakes.
I am going to have the oil changed every 5,000 miles and the CVT fluid changed every 30,000 miles along with the corresponding filters. Am I going to be able to keep this car for 200,000 miles or should I dump it before the warranty expires?
We really like the way it drives and handles. It seems pretty solid and to us pretty luxurious.

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
The 2019 series is more solid than the first series. I'm not sure you will make 200K but you ought to do well with it.

· Registered
933 Posts
Owning a Murano is like having a health savings account.

Save up for a CVT replacement, love your car, put the money back in your pocket if you never need it. $5k in a CD right now can make money.

· Registered
5 Posts
just bought a 2017 with only 24k miles. I had a 2011 that I bought new and just traded it in for the 2017 ... never had any problems with the CVT just make sure you get the routine CVT service, fluid changes. At 130k miles seemed it was a good time to let go of the 2011 as it had other issues that probably would have cost me more to keep. None of them CVT related though.

· Registered
2 Posts
We had a 2012 that we traded up to on a 2020 platinum. The 2012 had 176,000 miles with the original engine and transmission. No problems,ever. The best car my wife ever had. Changed the oil every 6to 7k and the transmission,transfer case, and rear differential fluid every 60k. Never had anything break on it. She wanted a newer car. The 2020 is at 48,000 miles and has not been to the dealer for any repairs, just oil changes.

· Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I just purchased a 2019 Murano Platinum with 24,000 miles on it. It was certified and I purchased the extended 100,000/8yr bumper-bumper warranty also. I knew some issues existed concerning the transmission. I also know that generally only the people with problems post. Most do not come on to say they have no issues. Keeping that in mind, what percentage of the Muranos fail? We traded in a 2010 Honda CRV with a 162,000 miles that hardly gave us any issues except brakes.
I am going to have the oil changed every 5,000 miles and the CVT fluid changed every 30,000 miles along with the corresponding filters. Am I going to be able to keep this car for 200,000 miles or should I dump it before the warranty expires?
We really like the way it drives and handles. It seems pretty solid and to us pretty luxurious.
You're in the same situation I am in. I purchased a new Murano in 2021 and I am dedicated to changing all the fluids maybe even before the recommended time. I won't tow anything and I'm not punching with it but I like to go fast when I'm out on the freeway. I love this car and I love the styling. You are correct when you state only people with complaints post here.

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
It's inevitable that people come to these forums (fora) for help with problems, not simply to write odes to the wonderfulness of their vehicle.

While it's not fair to blame a car simply based on the concerns of people (some of whom are a bit paranoid, or at least unjustifiably concerned) it is reasonable to scan forums and be aware of documented problems. Most of the problems with the Nissan CVT were with the series 1 (2003-2008) rather than later series (2 and 2).

· Registered
99 Posts
2012 Murano with 210k kms on it. It has been troublefree so far except for a failed AC compressor, 2 wheels beerings (both replaced under warranty) and a torn air intake duct (common issue with this car). Cvt fluid was replaced at 130k and I plan on replacing it again in summer. Differential fluid changed at 100k km intervals and transfer case at every 50k hm. Reason for more frequent fluid changes for transfercase is due to the number of complaints I've read online. As for the cvt, since it is second gen, I have faith in it. Though I think a fluid change every 100k km or so helps prolong the cvt's life.

All the best and with regular fluid changes, you should be fine.

· Registered
19 Posts
Do the fluid changes. Don't abuse the tranny by driving too hard OR TOWING! I sold my 2007 with 166,000 miles on it and the buyer drove it for another 3 or so years. The engine will easily do 200,000. One concern is the water pump: it's internal and expensive to repair/replace. The way to keep that from happening is to change the coolant every 30-40K. Enjoy and good luck! (I have a '19, wife has a '14).

· Registered
20 Posts
We responded quickly to a drip on our formerly immaculate driveway by our 2015 Murano. Because we were alert to this we were able to have the transfer case replaced under warranty. Other than that, a Murano is a joy to own and drive!

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
Do the fluid changes. Don't abuse the tranny by driving too hard OR TOWING! I sold my 2007 with 166,000 miles on it and the buyer drove it for another 3 or so years. The engine will easily do 200,000. One concern is the water pump: it's internal and expensive to repair/replace. The way to keep that from happening is to change the coolant every 30-40K. Enjoy and good luck! (I have a '19, wife has a '14).
A point of clarification: IMO there is no problem at all with towing within the weight limits specified by Nissan. Also, when you're towing, don't drive with your foot through the firewall - be moderate with acceleration.

· Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I just purchased a 2019 Murano Platinum with 24,000 miles on it. It was certified and I purchased the extended 100,000/8yr bumper-bumper warranty also. I knew some issues existed concerning the transmission. I also know that generally only the people with problems post. Most do not come on to say they have no issues. Keeping that in mind, what percentage of the Muranos fail? We traded in a 2010 Honda CRV with a 162,000 miles that hardly gave us any issues except brakes. I am going to have the oil changed every 5,000 miles and the CVT fluid changed every 30,000 miles along with the corresponding filters. Am I going to be able to keep this car for 200,000 miles or should I dump it before the warranty expires? We really like the way it drives and handles. It seems pretty solid and to us pretty luxurious.
Hey there, if you take good care of the CVT it will take care of you. I have a 2009 Murano SL AWD with almost 430K on it. Still going very strong. Hope it works out for you.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
IMO, the biggest stress on the CVT is hard acceleration from a dead stop. So, judiciously reserve stomping on it minimize this particular point of stress for the best CVT longevity.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
I've heard it has adaptive learning. However, my experience driving a 1st gen for 16 years and a 3rd gen for 4 years, it's not something I have noticed...

I think it's more like the human adapts to it...

Reactions: canWat
1 - 19 of 19 Posts