Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Murano had an accumulation of ice under the top part of the tailgate that couldn't be seen. When the tailgate was opening, it did not stop or detected the obstacle even though the resistance was so great that it shifted a hinge and bent the top edge of the hatch. It now has large gaps around it and will require body work to be repaired. We had a 2015 Murano Platinum before this one and the power lift gate was always very sensitive on that one although I never encounter a similar situation with ice build up. My dealership is telling me what happened is normal and therefore not their problem. Does anybody knows more about the engineering of the lift gate sensors and what they are supposed to detect?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Bummer! Not really designed for tough Canadian Winters...I have ice build up too and I try to remove it as much as I can but as soon as I hear the dreaded noise from the hatch crushing the ice or hard packed snow, I push the switch immediately. In some cases, the hatch reversed. After a heavy freezing rain, the hatch won't open. I think your 2015 worked fine but your 2019 needs new motorised struts or a new control module. At least the dealer should diagnose the problem with his Consult tool; there is a lengthty section in the shop manual. There are two sensors on each side of the hatch but I believe there is also a high current draw sensor in the struts that detects if an object is blocking the hatch. Good luck and complain to Nissan Canada if the dealer is not helping you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts