Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Murano SV Premium Package & 2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid AWD with Deluxe Premium Package
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, I searched this forum top and bottom for an answer to my issue but unable to find one. I see many of you have the "clunk" sound while going over bumps but no actual cause, but not many after the 2019 refresh, I have this issue as well and it is easily recreated by turning the wheel left and right from 0-20 MPH. The dealer has replaced the left front strut, mount, and bearing however the clunk has actually worsened, and after recording the issue and presenting it to the "tech" he said its normal operation which I whole heartedly disagree as it never happened before. BTW I have 20K Miles and this happens at any temperature.. please see my attached video. pay attention to the clunk when I am turning left and right,, it is easier to hear towards the end.(please disregard the sound of my belly rubbing against the center console) :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All, I searched this forum top and bottom for an answer to my issue but unable to find one. I see many of you have the "clunk" sound while going over bumps but no actual cause, but not many after the 2019 refresh, I have this issue as well and it is easily recreated by turning the wheel left and right from 0-20 MPH. The dealer has replaced the left front strut, mount, and bearing however the clunk has actually worsened, and after recording the issue and presenting it to the "tech" he said its normal operation which I whole heartedly disagree as it never happened before. BTW I have 20K Miles and this happens at any temperature.. please see my attached video. pay attention to the clunk when I am turning left and right,, it is easier to hear towards the end.(please disregard the sound of my belly rubbing against the center console) :p

Hi Petey, This is absolutely NOT normal. I own a 2019 SV. It has never made that sound!

·
Registered
2019 Murano SV Premium Package & 2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid AWD with Deluxe Premium Package
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
makes sense.. but the dealer said they drove a used 2019 they have on the lot and that it makes the noise as well.. so that is also why they call it normal operation.. I call it a manufacturing defect... sometimes it feels like something is about to break when I'm going over dips while turning... hopefully someone on here knows exactly what it is.. do we have Nissan line techs as members here? I sure would like to get their input.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,201 Posts
All I heard was a creaking sound--presumably that was the sound of your belly? Nevertheless, no clunking noise should be heard from a 1-year old car. Take it back to the dealership and insist they find the root cause of the problem. Take it up to Nissan corporate if the dealership isn't helpful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I heard was a creaking sound--presumably that was the sound of your belly? Nevertheless, no clunking noise should be heard from a 1-year old car. Take it back to the dealership and insist they find the root cause of the problem. Take it up to Nissan corporate if the dealership isn't helpful.
yeah I should have cut the video a bit, fast forward to around 1:25 and as I'm turning the steering wheel left and right you will hear it clearly.

And yes I am in talks with a lemon law lawyer to see if I can get it swapped out - we really like the car just want it to be reliable, however if its a fixable item, it would be good to know.

thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump.. I was looking at other videos.. could the issue I am describing be a motor mount? since the sound only happens when im turning the wheel left and right while in motion or when im going over a bump. i can see if a motor mounts out and the clunk is coming from that, my guess is the rear mount. dealer wont give me the time of day anymore and look at me like i am crazy..

BTW when i am parked i turn the wheel left and right there is no thud or clunk noise which leads me to believe motor/transmission mounts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Take another one that's on the lot and see if that one also does it. Dont take the dealerships word for it. They may either be blowing smoke in your direction or listening to something completely different.

This is your best bet. If you don't hear it with the other vehicle then bring the tech out and show then the comparison.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
bump.. I was looking at other videos.. could the issue I am describing be a motor mount? since the sound only happens when im turning the wheel left and right while in motion or when im going over a bump. i can see if a motor mounts out and the clunk is coming from that, my guess is the rear mount. dealer wont give me the time of day anymore and look at me like i am crazy..

BTW when i am parked i turn the wheel left and right there is no thud or clunk noise which leads me to believe motor/transmission mounts
Listen, the car is still under warranty so you need to insist that the dealership fix it. If they have trouble recreating the problem then ask that a tech drive with you and you show them what it's doing. Clunking noises are never normal.

Reactions: dusman59

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats the problem, i did go out with the tech and he said he didnt hear it and said he thought it was just the shock compressing. This was on the 2nd attempt. Then when i took it back is when he said he drove a 2019 a 2017 and 2018. Ill share the R.O. ..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take another one that's on the lot and see if that one also does it. Dont take the dealerships word for it. They may either be blowing smoke in your direction or listening to something completely different.

This is your best bet. If you don't hear it with the other vehicle then bring the tech out and show then the comparison.
i agree, i actually did do that and the 2019 they have as a CPO did indeed make that noise/clunk as well and what concerns me is that it is a manufacturing defect.. I checked the VIN and they are actually a few hundreds apart so i guess its a coincidence? maybe a bad batch? I guess well see what happens. as I stated my wife and I just want it fixed so we don't have to go through the lemon process, however it appears we don't have a choice atm

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the R.O. when i drove with the tech, 2nd attempt.. BTW they also replaced the radio head unit on that visit for the black screen and intermittent issues with no around view camera appearing.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i agree, i actually did do that and the 2019 they have as a CPO did indeed make that noise/clunk as well and what concerns me is that it is a manufacturing defect.. I checked the VIN and they are actually a few hundreds apart so i guess its a coincidence? maybe a bad batch? I guess well see what happens. as I stated my wife and I just want it fixed so we don't have to go through the lemon process, however it appears we don't have a choice atm
I don't recall "clunking" noises being a common problem on relatively new 3rd generation Muranos so I don't believe it would be considered "normal" behavior, but perhaps those on these forums that own one will disabuse me. If I bought a new car that was making clunking noises and the dealer told me that was normal, I would get rid of that car very quickly and avoid that manufacturer...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also drove a new 2020 SV and platinum and they didn't make that noise.. however, neither did mine 20K miles ago...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will. I have about 3 other ones relatively close to me I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.. ill keep this post updated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't recall "clunking" noises being a common problem on relatively new 3rd generation Muranos so I don't believe it would be considered "normal" behavior, but perhaps those on these forums that own one will disabuse me. If I bought a new car that was making clunking noises and the dealer told me that was normal, I would get rid of that car very quickly and avoid that manufacturer...
ok so I decided to record the engine bay and I turned the wheel all the way to the right and then to the left, I also brake torqued to test the mounts.

At the beginning of the video (around 2 seconds) as I am turning you can hear a pop. and as I am turning again (around 10 seconds) you can faintly hear it as well. Inside the car it makes the same "clunk" or "thud" however with the hood opened it sounds like a "pop"

I will take it to another dealer as mentioned later this week however I want to know based on this video if you have any other ideas on what it could be, The motor doesn't appear to move a lot, I moved from park to drive a few times and also brake torqued with the E-Brake down all the way.

Again, I appreciate all the input as I try to get this issue resolved and hopefully help someone else out in the future.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Had similar issue on my 2nd gen. It was the sway bar stabilizer bushings under the two hole straps. I replaced them for $15 and I also replaced the sway bar stabilizer links at the same time, just because good practice. Not saying that's it but I highly suspect it is. Have someone use one of the doors to slightly jostle the car up and down while you get under the car and verify. I was able to recreate the sound while sitting in the driver's seat and having someone bump the car up and down on one side using the car door. Once I verified that I could recreate the noise(clunk), I then got under each side and looked for where the noise was coming from. The bushings were wore down and no longer holding the sway bar tightly. Replaced and clunk is gone.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
ok so I decided to record the engine bay and I turned the wheel all the way to the right and then to the left, I also brake torqued to test the mounts.

At the beginning of the video (around 2 seconds) as I am turning you can hear a pop. and as I am turning again (around 10 seconds) you can faintly hear it as well. Inside the car it makes the same "clunk" or "thud" however with the hood opened it sounds like a "pop"

I will take it to another dealer as mentioned later this week however I want to know based on this video if you have any other ideas on what it could be, The motor doesn't appear to move a lot, I moved from park to drive a few times and also brake torqued with the E-Brake down all the way.

Again, I appreciate all the input as I try to get this issue resolved and hopefully help someone else out in the future.
This video is better since the noise can actually be heard, but just that by itself isn't going to tell you what the noise actually is--we'd all just be guessing. Do you have the vehicle in P while you're turning the wheel? If the noise is heard while in P then have someone else turn the wheel back and forth while you go underneath and pinpoint what exactly is making the noise.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts