Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the 2019 Platinum with all the cool features. Apparently it now has automatic braking with the rear sensor. On mine, the car will slam on the brakes with nothing in the way...and just as bad, my driveway has a bit of an incline. Backing into, or out of, the driveway results in the car slamming on the brakes - like the inclined driveway is an obstacle.

Has anyone experienced anything like this??

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I haven't experience the auto rear breaking feature so far... Maybe try driving down your inclined driveway slower to see if it will not trigger the auto braking?

My auto braking has work perfectly so far. The best example was its pedestrian detection. I was driving on the interstate in the rightmost lane, and there was a trailer truck in front of me. I noticed there was a work area ahead in the breakdown lane, and traffic start moving over a lane to the left. I started slowing down, signaled to move left, and waited for the chance to move over. The trailer truck in front of me moved over a lane which exposed the safety flagger on the edge of the road, almost into the travel lane, waving traffic to slow down. As soon as my car detected the flagger on the edge of the road, my car started auto braking. In my opinion it worked perfect for this circumstance. I captured a video of it on my dashcam for review.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only once, i think my sensor saw a small flag we have flying, heck, maybe even a squirrel. Freaked me out as well. Not entirely sure, but i think turning off the traction control disables the MOD.

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
This is exactly the kind of problem that needs to go to the dealer. You paid for a warranty, and this is a good chance to use it.

Make sure that this isn't the vehicle doing what it's designed to, based on an unusual situation with your driveway.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My driveway has a slight incline and every 3rd or 4th time backing in the warning will sound that an object has been detected when nothing is there other than the slightly sloped driveway. This apparently happens with many vehicles with the rear sensors. At least the 2018 doesn’t auto-brake as well. Still, might be something that can be adjusted by dealer in terms of sensor sensitivity or at least testing that it functioning within spec.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
From the owner's manual. MOD can be turned off by pressing the camera button for 3 seconds

Attachments

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I mistakenly thought the RAB (rear automatic braking) system could be disabled by turning off MOD (moving object detection).

RAB can be turned off, but must be done via Settings, however it will be re-enabled when the engine is restarted...

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
It's funny that we have to disable features on brand new car because they either don't work or are half baked. At this point a 10 year old Buick would have done. Just as comfortable just without the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
There are always going to be edge conditions with cutting edge software like this... It's nice to have to option of turning them off for specific situations, like turning traction control off to help get unstuck in snow.

So far, all the tech in my 2019 has performed surprisingly great!

Reactions: dusman59

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cutting edge software? The malfunctioning radars that people ate experiencing? The same tech that other manufacturers have had for years and years?

Keep in mind. This isn't a Versa. This is supposed to be one of Nissans higher end cars. It's only coming out with rear radar in 2019 and its failing. Android Autio in 2018 and a slew of problems with that system. Front radar systems which are so problematic that there is a back order and months wait time to fix it.

Nothing cutting edge about the 3rd gen Murano. Let's not kid ourselves. It has its high points but definately not where it should be in this day and age compared to competition.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
My comment was mainly referring to rear automatic braking and moving object detection, the main focus of this thread. Both are camera and software based. The software has a lot of work to do in a very short amount of time to determine if image the camera is picking up is a threat, and whether to warn or auto brake. In my opinion they're currently working surprisingly well given the complexity the software needs to account for, but there will always be edge conditions as the technology evolves... YMMV

Reactions: dusman59

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Did a little more research and discovered that RAB (rear automatic braking) actually uses the rear parking sonars, not the camera as I previously thought...

Also, for the OP, I found in the owners manual under RAB limitations, that it may not function correctly when driven down a steep hill.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
My driveway apron drops about 10 inches in 2 feet....yes, I have experienced the 2019 slamming on the brakes detecting the street is an object. But, I avoid that by lightly holding the brakes on. As a cyclist, I do turn off RAB when I have my bike rack on the back as it becomes almost impossible to move rearward with the bike in place. I have no issue with how it works; working like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought the 2019 Platinum with all the cool features. Apparently it now has automatic braking with the rear sensor. On mine, the car will slam on the brakes with nothing in the way...and just as bad, my driveway has a bit of an incline. Backing into, or out of, the driveway results in the car slamming on the brakes - like the inclined driveway is an obstacle.

My car does EXACTLY that slamming on brakes when I back out of drivewY...not just mine, but many. Drives me nuts.

Did you find out anything on yours? Mine is also a 2019 Murano Platinum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't experience the auto rear breaking feature so far... Maybe try driving down your inclined driveway slower to see if it will not trigger the auto braking?

My auto braking has work perfectly so far. The best example was its pedestrian detection. I was driving on the interstate in the rightmost lane, and there was a trailer truck in front of me. I noticed there was a work area ahead in the breakdown lane, and traffic start moving over a lane to the left. I started slowing down, signaled to move left, and waited for the chance to move over. The trailer truck in front of me moved over a lane which exposed the safety flagger on the edge of the road, almost into the travel lane, waving traffic to slow down. As soon as my car detected the flagger on the edge of the road, my car started auto braking. In my opinion it worked perfect for this circumstance. I captured a video of it on my dashcam for review.
I have same issue with backing out of my driveway and others. I even had the city come out to provide me what the slope is on my driveway. I assure you, I am already going slow out of my drive. I was advised I can turn the feature off, but since my insurance plan knows I have all these cool features, I do not want to risk turning one off.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I have same issue with backing out of my driveway and others. I even had the city come out to provide me what the slope is on my driveway. I assure you, I am already going slow out of my drive. I was advised I can turn the feature off, but since my insurance plan knows I have all these cool features, I do not want to risk turning one off.
Try applying light pressure on your brake pedal while backing out of your driveway.

·
Registered
1 Posts

We had the SAME thing- the sensor was installed at the factory UPSIDE-DOWN.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano SL
3 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but wanted to follow up. I just bought a 2019 Murano SL and I keep a hitch mount bike rack in the hitch all the time (I ride my bike almost every day). I know I can turn off the RAB every time I start the car, but that is a pain in the ass. Has anyone discovered a way to permanently turn off the RAB system?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts