Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Thinking of buying a 2020 Murano SV AWD. Just wondered, overall, what current owners think of their Muranos. In particular:

1. Build quality. Any major problems with interior squeaks and rattles?
2. Mechanical quality. Any major issues still with the CVT?
3. Driving. This would be my daily driver. Once the pandemic is over, I will be back to my 1 hour commute to work. Does the Murano make for a good daily? How are the headlights? I believe the SV has the LED headlights.

I would be trading in my 2015 Chevrolet Equinox V6 AWD. Looking for something a little more upmarket and a little higher quality. My Chevy has been reliable, but they tend to start having major issues around the 75,000 mile mark and I am approaching 60,000 so it is time to consider something new.

The Murano I am looking at is a former Hertz rental with only 5,000 miles on it. Given the low mileage, I am willing to take the risk to save $4,000 over the price of a new one ($28K at Hertz, $32K at the local dealer for a new 2020 SV AWD.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Our murano is a 2020, we only have roughly 1,000km on it so far - So I can’t attest to long term but I can tell you the experience so far.
We took our first road trip this past weekend. About 600km round trip. I have to say it was great on the highway! The ride, seats, comfort couldn’t find one thing to complain about. The headlights were great and the auto high beam worked really well. Even the fuel economy really impressed me for a vehicle that’s not broken in.

On a side note, my parents have an ‘18 Platinum, they don’t have a huge amount of kilometers on theirs (maybe about 18,000km) but this far they have had no problems and are quite pleased with the vehicle. And as of yet, I haven’t heard them complain about any squeaks or rattles.

Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
959 Posts
The murano is great for highway driving, i commute 3 hrs (200 miles) to new jersey, and I average around 28mpg, full tank gives me around 555 miles. After 150k miles, still running great with regular maintenance. But if you are doing city driving, then you will be disappointed as your milageage will drop significantly.

Reactions: Nanduchhetri

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Murano Platinum AWD
21 Posts
I purchased a 2020 Murano (Platinum) about six weeks ago, cross-shopped with Edge, RDX, Sante Fe, Sorrento, RX350, Outback, etc. I am coming from a 2011 Jeep Patriot that had been giving me nothing but problems for the past couple of years.

1) 800 miles on my car no squeaks or rattles other than a little bit from the retractable cargo cover, which is removable. And it is hardly noticeable, only when in a silent car and listening for it. Some people gripe that the infotainment is dated, but my preference is having the screen where it is with some buttons. I really don't like how some new cars seem to just throw an XL ipad on top of the dash and call it a day.
2) A lot of people rag on the CVT reliability and I am way too early on in my driving to know, but I got a great deal on an 8yr/100,000mile extended warranty through Nissan to hedge the risk. (paid under $2,000)
3) Extremely comfortable, actually the most comfortable car/SUV that I have ever sat in. I have the LED headlights and have no complaints. Visibility out of the rear quarters is limited during the day or night, but the blind spot monitor helps with that.

If you haven't already, it might be worth seeing what you can negotiate for it if buying new from the dealer. The used car market is dried up and prices are near/at an all-time high. Between negotiation and incentives I purchased mine new for ~25% off MSRP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the responses! They sound great!

The local Nissan dealer is selling brand new 2020 Murano SV AWD models for $7K off of MSRP. For example, a $39K MSRP Murano is being sold for $32K. The Hertz deal is also a 2020 Murano SV AWD, with only 5,000 miles, for $27K. The Hertz car was only in service for 5 months, and comes with the balance of the factory warranty. So it would still have 31 months/31K miles left on the bumper to bumper, and 55 months/55K miles left on the powertrain warranty. My plan would be to keep the Murano for 5-6 years.

I would have to get $12K off of MSRP of a new 2020 to match the Hertz deal. New 2020 SV trim inventory in the area is very low (literally there are like 7 new ones in a 30 mile radius), so getting a dealer to discount a new one 29% might be a stretch.

·
Super Moderator
8,348 Posts
I have never been scared of used cars. I sold cars for two years and I have always thought the best deal on a car is a used car about 2-3 years old with 20-30K miles on it. They're broken in and nothing more.

If the Hertz car had what I wanted, for $5K difference I'd take it. Some people assume that all rental cars are relentlessly beaten on, but I'm skeptical about that. For that matter, cars aren't made out of glass, they're durable and they can handle the occasional 6,000 RPM run up to road speed. I know this because I do that to all my cars! I also know rental cars are well maintained and have had oil and filter changes on a regular basis.

Reactions: Michael Martin

·
Registered
133 Posts
As mentioned it might be a good idea to see what you can negotiate on a new one. I wouldn’t expect to get a brand new one marked down to the exact same price as a used one because thats not realistic at all (we know the value of a car drops the second it’s driven off of the lot) but if that used price is all you’re willing to pay and you’re not open to paying a little more for new then you already have your answer. If the one Hertz is offering has what you want and you can’t get an acceptable price to you for a new one at the dealership then go for it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'll be 100% honest with you, I wont buy another Nissan product after this Murano. Not to say that Nissan in general is a bad car company, its just that my Murano by far has been the least reliable, poorly built car I've owned to date.

I've had it in for something like 14 warranty repairs in 3 years. All were verified and fixed by the dealer, so I have no gripes with that, but I think a new car shouldn't have so many issues. Climate controlled seats failing, mirror motor failing, rear seat motor failing, sunroof motor rattling, positive battery terminal failing, wheel-well liner fell off during driving (within the first week, so I guess someone forgot some clips at the factory) and on and on.

I think I may have a "bad example" as it doesn't seem to be wide spread with other users on this forum, but this is my experience, and therefore I wont ever come back. I've had less issues with my Pontiac, Hyundai, Mazda and Dodge combined then I've had with this one Murano, which is a 2017 Platinum.

I also have a bunch of rattles, which doesn't instill confidence in the overall build quality. The front windshield cowel (or however you spell it) rattles like crazy when it gets cold outside. There is some sort of rattle in the rear hatch. Rattle under the passenger seat. Rattle in the rear driver side door. Also not to forgot to mention the creaks that the door panel makes when you rest your elbow/arm again it.....

Anyway, Im sure every manufacturer has customer stories like mine, so its there is no escaping getting a lemon.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
259 Posts
We are on our third Murano and the only problem we have had with any of them was the failure of the AC clutch on our 2011 an this was at around 100,000 miles. We put well over 100,000 miles on the first two and only replaced them because we wanted to upgrade, not because of any problems. Love 'em, comfortable, quiet and good gas mileage. Will buy another if they are still around when we hit 100,000+ miles with this one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My Murano is the most comfortable car, especially on the highway. Cross shopped all the competition and the only one to come close to comfort and would be better for AWD/4WD was the Grand Cherokee, which I found to be overpriced. Didn't like the relentless shifting. Everyone has an opinion on the Nissan CVT but I've never had an issue and find them very nice to drive.

Also, dealer stocks are diminishing so any deals not provided by the manufacturer are going to be hard to find. Dealers are hurting and trying to make up for low sales with less discounts etc. Yes, they want to clear inventory, but they also do not know when new car inventory will be replenished.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I'm hoping to see a redesign soon. The upcoming 2021 Rouge looks great. I wish they would either put a 2.0L turbo in it, or drop in a V-6. The engine in the Rouge is pretty anemic, but I'm going to drive the 2021 and see what's it's like.

Hoping future Muranos have upgrades like in the Rogue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP Here. Still looking, but didn't like Hertz's "terms of sale". Only one key included with the car, cashier's check or wire transfer only, etc. Now focusing on a new 2020 SV AWD. Current Nissan incentives end today, of course, and my schedule does not permit me to get to a dealer today. I am guessing the rebates will carry over for another month so not overly concerned about it. More worried about inventory drying up at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!

Thinking of buying a 2020 Murano SV AWD. Just wondered, overall, what current owners think of their Muranos. In particular:

3. Driving. This would be my daily driver. Once the pandemic is over, I will be back to my 1 hour commute to work. Does the Murano make for a good daily? How are the headlights? I believe the SV has the LED headlights.

I would be trading in my 2015 Chevrolet Equinox V6 AWD. Looking for something a little more upmarket and a little higher quality. My Chevy has been reliable, but they tend to start having major issues around the 75,000 mile mark and I am approaching 60,000 so it is time to consider something new.

The Murano I am looking at is a former Hertz rental with only 5,000 miles on it. Given the low mileage, I am willing to take the risk to save $4,000 over the price of a new one ($28K at Hertz, $32K at the local dealer for a new 2020 SV AWD.)

My wife and I recently retired and decided to make the senior citizen switch from our expensive SUV's like the Lexus, Cadillac, and Volvo through the years.

Wow, what a waste of money over the years, as we have found that the Murano has more than exceeded our expectations. Great on road ride, good looking interior, better fuel economy, all for 1/2 the price.

Needless to say, when someone comes from years of "luxury" brands, and they found that the Murano is just as good, should be the endorsement you are looking for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have a 2018 SL and for the most part we are very happy with it.

1. Build quality. So far I've only noticed two things. There is a rattle in the passenger side rear door. When the door closes it sounds like something has come loose in there. Driver's side is fine and it doesn't seem to impact the window going up or down. That door doesn't get much use and it's a lease so I probably won't bother bringing it to the dealer for them to tear apart. Second issue is a suspension squeak that's come and gone since the it was a few months old. Here again, I'm not going to bring it in to try to chase down since we'll be returning it in 16 months. I haven't noticed anything out of place when I've inspected it during tire changes.

2. Mechanical quality. Last car was a 2008 Rogue so I'm not new to the CVT fears. Luckily we didn't have anything go wrong with our Rogue but I can't say I was relieved to get rid of it after the extended warranty expired. I don't think I'll buy another Nissan with CVT until it's been a few years with no big issues. That's one big reason why we leased this one.

3. Driving. My wife is the primary daily driver and she likes it. It handles well in the snow. No issues with the headlights. We have a 1500 mile road trip coming up later this month and I'm not worried at all about long hours in the car based on the several 4+ hour stretches we've done with it over the last couple years.

Things I don't like:
--The glove box. Such a terrible design. Impossible to see into it unless you get out of the car and crouch down with the seat all the way back.
--The towing capacity. Knew it going in but what a joke to have a V6 that can only tow 1,500 lbs. Somehow the Pathfinder manages 4x that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a 2015, purchased new. There has only been one problem, and that was with a leak in the transfer case on our AWD. After two seal replacements, the entire transfer case was replaced under warranty. If it had been out of warranty, this would have cost $3,500. We are dithering whether to keep it. If we replace it with another Murano, it will be FWD. That being said, it is a lovely vehicle in every other way.

·
Super Moderator
8,348 Posts
We have a 2015, purchased new. There has only been one problem, and that was with a leak in the transfer case on our AWD. After two seal replacements, the entire transfer case was replaced under warranty. If it had been out of warranty, this would have cost $3,500. We are dithering whether to keep it. If we replace it with another Murano, it will be FWD. That being said, it is a lovely vehicle in every other way.
Look at it this way; the odds of two transfer cases going out prematurely are very small as long as you are using it like a car, not a truck or Jeep. The transfer case isn't made for off-roading, just for good traction in on the road service.

That said, small leaks on the seals of these transfer cases are very common. Reports here indicate that some of them just continue to seep very slowly regardless of whether the seals are replaced. A slow leak isn't much to be concerned about because it doesn't lower the oil level, but since the transfer case holds a limited amount of gear oil, it pays to have it checked at least annually.

Reactions: Mo48

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi!

I have a 05 with 265,000 miles and still going changed the cvt around 190,000. It's started leaking oil recently but at 265,000 really can't complain. No rattles or squeaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!

I have a 2016 Platinum. Bought it when it was 1 year old. It has been extremely reliable. Comfortable. I've gotten as high as 30 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the continued responses! Updated incentives for the 2020 models have been announced and they are pretty aggressive. Looking at local dealers to see what is available in SV trim to check out this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I've got a 2018 "midnight edition" (basically right between an SL and a Platinum) AWD and it's been pretty spectacular. It's been forced to handle all of Colorado's wacky weather and questionable roads between Denver and Pueblo for a couple of years now, and has done so without any issue.

The build quality on mine has been really good; 2 years and no rattles, squeaks, or breakage of any sort.

The CVT takes some getting used to, but it does fine and allows the car to be both pretty zippy (for its size and weight) and get amazing milage.

It's a dream to drive long distances. The technology in the car is good without being intrusive and things like the adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring are fantastic. The Bose audio was pretty weak when the car was new, but has gotten much, much better as the speakers have broken in and now it's one of my favorite places to audition new albums.

Problems:

There was some usability sacrificed on the alter of style; it's hard to see out of the rear quarters (blind spot monitoring is a godsend on these) and the 'ridge' along the hood at the windshield has an annoying habit of reflecting sun into your face when the sun is above the car. I fixed the latter issue with some flat black vinyl applied to that 'ridge' - the same stuff they put on Jeep hoods for similar reasons.

But - I traded in a 2016 370Z Nismo for the Murano, so both of these issues weren't new for me. :)

Pearl white is a huge PITA to keep clean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts