Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2004, I stuck a suction-cupped thing to the windshield for a few years. After removing it, no matter what I tried the outline of the suction cup remained on the glass to this very day. Nothing seems to be able to get rid of it. Tried various window cleaners, paint thinners, scrapers, etc.

On this 2021, there are two sets of rings on either side of the windshield that I assume are from something holding the glass during the manufacturing process, and I can' t remove them. They're only visible when the glass is fogged up. I haven't tried anything overly caustic on them, but have tried using a razorblade to scrape it away and it did nothing. Seems like a repeat of my 2003, where they're there forever. Normal glass cleaners and 90% rubbing alcohol have done nothing. RainX prepper/defogger chemical was no help. Nearly six months of thoroughly cleaning both sides of the windshield have yielded no results. Might have to try something stronger... Super-extra-ultra-fine steel wool?

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
The classic solution is Bon Ami applied with newsprint and elbow grease.. It's feldspar and won't scratch glass. If that doesn't do it, I'm out of ideas.

Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I've seen differing opinions on whether Bon Ami containing feldspar is safe for glass... I'd research it before proceeding. Using any abrasive may leave a mark, and it may be permanent...

I'd experiment with various solvents in an inconspicuous area before resorting to abrasives. Just be cautious not to get anything on the interior.

Better yet, ignore it...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll look into that product, thanks.

What's glaringly interesting to me is that the only areas not fogging up are where those suspected suction cups were placed. Within those areas there's perfect visibility through the glass and they never fog up. :) So, perhaps a better question would be, what is it about silicone/rubber suction cup that prevents the glass from fogging? Perhaps if I applied a layer of silicone to the entire windshield and then wiped it off, it might remain fog-free forever. Or, perhaps a layer of silicone would need to bake in the sun for a few days to seep into the glass (if that's even possible).

Yeah, whatever I try I'd first attempt on the upper passenger area, where it wouldn't be so obvious to me if things wen't wrong. I'm concerned about anything abrasive that might cause some fine-stratched distortions that only appear when the sun hits the glass the right way.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think you may be onto something regarding applying an anti-fog treatment to the interior windshield, I think this may have the success you're looking for.

·
Super Moderator
1,404 Posts
Seeing that the marks seem to be on the inside, they cannot be from when the car was assembled. If I remember right, from a video of the Murano assembly line, the windshield assembly frame has 6 suction cups holding the windshield during placement.

During the windshield assembly process of laminating, forming and tempering the window, a glass surface that ended up on the inside against the laminate was not properly cleaned of the suction cup marks from the suction cups used during assembly.

The contaminates left behind will effect how heat and cold are transferred thru at a different rate because of lack of bonding to the laminate, causing the fogging phenomena that is being observed.

So basically it's a manufacturing defect from the windshield manufacturer. Leave it alone, unless you'd like a new windshield.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seeing that the marks seem to be on the inside, they cannot be from when the car was assembled. If I remember right, from a video of the Murano assembly line, the windshield assembly frame has 6 suction cups holding the windshield during placement.
I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to recall manual installation of the windshield consisting of a dual suction cup holder on both sides that's used by two people. Perhaps it's no longer done that way. I'm not 100% sure what side it's one. I know when it's raining and the wipers are going, the rings go away for a second, then reappear. It hasn't really been an issue that I've been tirelessly tryiing to figure out and resolve. The glass just happened to fog up the othere day, so I decided to take snap a shot and see if it's a widespread thing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you may be onto something regarding applying an anti-fog treatment to the interior windshield, I think this may have the success you're looking for.
I already tried the RainX Defogger stuff on the 2003 and 2021 with no success. I think I also waxed the glass on the 2003. I'll probably take a little spray silicone to the upper-right ring and apply and wipe off a one-inch patch on the outside and insde to see what happens. .

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That is another good idea. It seems there's something in a suction cup that cleans the glass, like silicone maybe? I had the same issue with a suction cup device I used on my smartphone. Just wiping and sliding my phone in/out of my pocket had no impact on the mark... If I recall correctly, I was able to rid myself of the shadow it left using CRT cleaner.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
A rainy, foggy, cold/warm morning today, so it was a good time to perform a silicone test. Used WD-40 silicone spray on a papertowel and applied a thin layer to 10% of the driver's side windshield (inside and outside) then worked it in and used clean papertowels to wipe it off, using a lot of elbow grease. Didn't work. Looked great at first, but with the windows closed and the A/C not on, the interior fogged up about 15 minutes into my drive to reveal the suction cup marks.

This might be related to the glass temperature thing mentioned by PaulDay, but this time the wiper blades moving across the suction cup marks as the rain fell didn't make the marks vanish for a second. I know when I ran a finger across the interior fogginess, it affected the ring. Maybe I'll try Lestoil.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that perhaps a manufacturing device is using some kind of vacuum-holding system to a four-fingered robotic arm that has two fingers holding the glass inside and outside during some process, and maybe those fingertips have suction cups or O-rings that differ in size and they're leaving marks both inside and outside, but perfectly aligned so you can't tell there are rings on boths sides of the glass. It's strange how the upper ring on side of the glass is bigger and thinner than the lower one. Perhaps one set of marks is from one process, and the other marks from a different process. The thinner ring isn't a perfect circle like the lower one. In fact, I'd say the upper, thin ring is probably from a teardrop-like-shaped, vacu-lock, gripping system from an automated piece of machinery.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
During the windshield assembly process of laminating, forming and tempering the window, a glass surface that ended up on the inside against the laminate was not properly cleaned of the suction cup marks from the suction cups used during assembly.

The contaminates left behind will effect how heat and cold are transferred thru at a different rate because of lack of bonding to the laminate, causing the fogging phenomena that is being observed.

So basically it's a manufacturing defect from the windshield manufacturer. Leave it alone, unless you'd like a new windshield.
Since just watching a few videos on the assembly process, I think you might be correct, in that there was some kind of residue/contaminant left on the glass before any laminates were applied, and now they're essentially sealed beneath a protective layer(s) and can't be removed. I think what you were saying is that temperature can affect when the rings are visible as the glass heats/cools depending on changes in the environment. I think they're there for good. However, that doesn't explain why the suction cup marks from my windshield-mounted device from 2004 can't come off. That was merely pressed onto the finished interior glass for a few years, so it should be able to be affected, unless the chemicals in the suction cup (or perhaps even the chemical composition of the glass laminate) caused a reaction that fused everything (stained it) so well that it's there for good.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A little rubbing alcohol on one of those white magic kitchen sponges should work..I use the alcohol every time I clean the inside glass. No more streaking glass marks left over

·
Registered
319 Posts
A little rubbing alcohol on one of those white magic kitchen sponges should work..I use the alcohol every time I clean the inside glass. No more streaking glass marks left over
What % do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've tried 90% before and it didn't work. I don't think a lesser strength would be able to alter that result.

I think I've thoroughly concluded that PaulDay is correct; that the rings are between laminate layers and can't be affected/removed. I reached that conclusion this morning as the windshield fogged up inside and outside. Using a magnifying glass, I rubbed a finger across the ring on the glass (inside and outside) and noticed the perimeter of the ring was actually unaffected by that action; it was simply the clearing of fog outside of the perimeter that more closely matched the ring's transparency to make it seem (to the naked eye) that.the ring was being impacted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In 2004, I stuck a suction-cupped thing to the windshield for a few years. After removing it, no matter what I tried the outline of the suction cup remained on the glass to this very day. Nothing seems to be able to get rid of it. Tried various window cleaners, paint thinners, scrapers, etc.

On this 2021, there are two sets of rings on either side of the windshield that I assume are from something holding the glass during the manufacturing process, and I can' t remove them. They're only visible when the glass is fogged up. I haven't tried anything overly caustic on them, but have tried using a razorblade to scrape it away and it did nothing. Seems like a repeat of my 2003, where they're there forever. Normal glass cleaners and 90% rubbing alcohol have done nothing. RainX prepper/defogger chemical was no help. Nearly six months of thoroughly cleaning both sides of the windshield have yielded no results. Might have to try something stronger... Super-extra-ultra-fine steel wool?

I have the same. I figured it was some transponder or something from dealer upon delivery, but the assembly theory makes the most sense. I used Barkeepers Friend [can be found in any supermarkets cleaner aisle] which is lemon oil concentrate with a scratchfree abrasive I use on glass applications [and use it on kitchen glass top items, etc]. It's bailed me out on many occasions on many different issues. This being one of them. Apply to clean dry lint free rag and rub in circular motions, like others, using a fair amount of vigorous elbow grease. Wipe away residual with damp clean micro fiber. Smells good too.

Vinegar would be an alternative option, but smell doesn't work out so well for me.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I like the Magic Eraser idea! It may have the same physical properties as a suction cup in regards to how it may possibly scrub the glass clean where it contacts the surface...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts