Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed about a week ago that a white substance randomly builds up on the upper area of the front-passenger door panel (refer to pics) and that residue is also present on the opposite outside area on the chrome trim and black seals. The window also has some white streaks. I haven't used any chemicals on the interior panel or windows that would cause that residue, and nothing has spilled down into the window from the inside. My best guesses as to what it is are:

- After washing and detailing the car and driving around, the detailing spray or soap from the car wash is somehow now making its way into the door and the force of air around the car is somehow carrying that chemical into the car and coating the window.

- There's something going on with the locking or window mechanism that's causing some kind of "wear" on something that's producing that fine powder-like substance and it's being carried up by the window and then falling onto the upper door area.

I'll have to monitor more closely when it's reappearing, since this is only the second time it's been there, and the first time it's come back since wiping it off 5-6 days ago. The last time I washed MO was four days ago.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm also wondering if using those water-jet self car washes might harm/deform various seals on the car since they're high-pressure and can really get in there.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,093 Posts
Do you have a passenger who likes to rest their hand or arm on that windowsill? Might be dust attracted by a bit of naturally occurring oil from fingers.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you have a passenger who likes to rest their hand or arm on that windowsill? Might be dust attracted by a bit of naturally occurring oil from fingers.
I knew I should have mentioned that... Due to Covid and dog allergies, no one but me has been in this car.

The residue suddenly appeared out of nowhere (that I noticed anyway) after being parked in the sun for about three hours. As soon as I got in the car and powered down that window, that white stuff was there. Strange that it's on the inside and outside, and on the glass. When I ran a white napkin over it, it wiped away and left no telltale trace on the napkin or on my finger. Doesn't smell or seem greasy.

I wiped it away for the first time maybe 5-6 days ago. This morning when starting up the car for the first time and cracking the windows, I noticed the white stuff had returned. Last time, I used a barely water-dampened papertowel to remove the residue. Almost seems powdery. I wonder if the lift motor is leaking and blowing out stuff and over time it makes its way to the surface, probably by coating the glass and then it falls off on both sides of the glass. It almost reminds me of some kind of dry lubrication. I was thinking that the lift motor or maybe even this locking solenoid has a bad seal that's blowing out some kind of internal lubrication.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It occurred to me that maybe something is blowing from the pass-side vent and deposting stuff on it. I wonder if it's related to the A/C. It would be strange if it were just happenning through one vent, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts