Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Initially I liked the silver MO, but disliked the pinstriping and door edge guards. Then I drove the red ember platinum and was intrigued by it; thought it looked fairly unique. The black plat was ho-hum. The blue was pretty cool, but I'm not into blue. I think the brown I've seen around (maybe a 2019 color) is my next favorite color. From afar, the boulder gray looked a lot like a base-coat/primer, and I had mixed feelings about it. Back in the 80s, I had a '72 Nova I'd painted super-gloss gray with custom black graphics all around, and that looked cool. But the MO gray I wasn't quite sure of...until I got closer in full sunlight, at which point I noticed how the paint sparkled, like the inside of a split rock glistening in the sun. Very interesting.

With MO21, I typically wash it once a week, and between washes I use microfiber cloths daily to gently wipe away all the crazy amounts of pollen, then I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer every few days. When applying, I always wipe in one direction and use just enough pressure to keep the cloth floating against the paint, but I don't try to rub into the clear coat or paint. I love how the waxed/glossy gray looks like liquid metal or overly wet clay. The body depressions/contours are really well done.

Ten days ago, I used Mequiar's Quik Spray Wax and the results were amazing and looked far better than just washing and using the detailing spray. No surprise. The garaged close-up is after ten days of being waxed and then being dry-wiped at the end of each day since. It really holds a great shine. The tires are a constant struggle to keep shiny. Seems I'm recoating them every few days, and nothing really lasts once the car is driven. Sitting on the side of the shed, MO3's tires still gleam from the Hotshine I sprayed on them a month ago.

In any case, I wasn't overly impressed with Nissan's color schemes for 2021, but I finally did find one I really like and that I won't be changing. I'm likely to do some kind of elongated mural along the sides and rear hatch (probably a cool-looking Xenomorph.) Also thinking of doing something with the hood. Not sure what. Would love to see a version of my '70 Cuda-style hood on there. One thing I've noticed is, so many stopped drivers suddenly pulling out in front of me when I'm going above 45MPH, to the point I've had to slam on my brakes nearly daily to avoid rear-ending them. I don't know if the daytime running lights are making it seem like I'm turning, or if the gray paint blends into the sun-baked, grayish asphalt and they don't completely see me, or if this car just doesn't seem like it's moving very fast. Never had a problem like that with my polished pewter MO3. In fact, many times I'd actually wonder what the car up ahead at the cross-section was waiting for, since they had plenty of time to go. Not sure if it was the metallic paint or the glaring chrome grille or the body style that made them pause and wait. I really feel the old MO looks likes a speeding bullet even when standing still, while the MO21 looks cool but not really like a rocket in motion.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's not just Subaru that has that primer-like gray. I've seen it on Honda, Toyota, Jeep, Dodge, BMV, VW... Seems very popular, along with light mud brown and bottom-feeder algae green. I haven't personally viewed those similar gray paint jobs up close, so I don't know if they have that "daytime starry night" thing happening.

In the attachment, I like how the reflections of the surroundings make the hood appear to have a subtle, cowl induction-like setup. The effect reaffirms my belief that this car would look so much cooler and meaner with something going on in the middle area. It's more or less just flat and boring with no lines. It needs something...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts