Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Oops! Posted this in an old thread. Let's try again in a new one...)

I would really like my 2021 Platinum to actually use engine braking when using cruise control (ICC and "standard").
Since I bought the vehicle there sends to be no engine braking in CC.
Going down an incline, the vehicle just goes faster and faster, with the selected speed indicator flashing like it's yelling, "Hey! You're going too fast!"

If I'm behind another vehicle with ICC on, engine braking keeps me the selected distance behind that vehicle.

With CC off, the vehicle doesn't freewheel.

Any ideas how I can get engine braking to work when in CC?
It worked fine in my '03 and in the '15.
Dealer says "There's no problem." Claims to have no idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
365 Posts

I would really like my 2021 Platinum to actually use engine braking when using cruise control (ICC and "standard").
Going down an incline, the vehicle just goes faster and faster, with the selected speed indicator flashing like it's yelling, "Hey! You're going too fast!"

If I'm behind another vehicle with ICC on, engine braking keeps me the selected distance behind that vehicle.

Dealer says "There's no problem." Claims to have no idea what I'm talking about.
Connect CVTz50 app, there is a section for engine braking. Try different settings, see which one you like or work the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Yeah, the engine braking programming for the 3rd gens isn't anywhere near as aggressive as the 1st gen...

Like @dand. mentioned, there is a setting in the CVTz50 app to increase it. However, it does warn of potential driveability issues if I recall... I haven't tried increasing, but I did try decreasing it in a feeble hope that it would soften the 1000 RPM resonance...it didn't.

If you try increasing engine braking, please update the forum with the results.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Connect CVTz50 app, there is a section for engine braking. Try different settings, see which one you like or work the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Hmm...
I would think that a setting for the CVT would be in force regardless whether CC was in use. But then again...

I called the dealership again this morning. The service manager (a different one this time) was pretty nonchalant about it until I told him that engine braking DOES occur when CC is off.
He wants me to bring it in Thursday for another look.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hmm...
I would think that a setting for the CVT would be in force regardless whether CC was in use. But then again...

I called the dealership again this morning. The service manager (a different one this time) was pretty nonchalant about it until I told him that engine braking DOES occur when CC is off.
He wants me to bring it in Thursday for another look.
My 2015 MO does use the Engine Breaking while ICC is engaged! Now an observation: Breaklights serve as a reminder to other vehicles behind when the car is slowing down as the brake pedal is pressed. When ICC is engaged and slows the vehicle down using the engine brake as the car ahead slows down, what would be the status of the Breaklights?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Months ago I tried to adjust the engine braking on my 2021 via the CVTz50 app, but the PCM or ECM wouldn't allow the change to be made. I contacted the app's developer who said it cannot be adjusted on the 3rd Gen MOs.

I've post about this here before, where the engine braking seems to be stronger if approaching a hill going less then 45MPH, then tap the brake to slow to maybe 40MPH, and the engine will continue braking until things flatten out. ICC is great for going down hills, however, I suspect that physical braking via the AEB system is what might be taking place. I don't know for sure. I'd have to be on the phone with someone who's driving a Murano in front of me, and then I could see if the brake lights are coming on going down a hill.

Feels and sounds like engine braking in my first example, but it feels more like physical braking when ICC is involved down a hill and maintaining distance from the forward vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts