Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2021 AWD SL

UPDATE: If your MO has ICC and you don't want it active while trying to use cruise control, press and hold the <cruise on/off> button for at least 1.5 seconds when turning on cruise for the first time. If you look at the cruise indicator light within the guage cluster (refer to attachment) you'll see the light changes in appearance to indicate you are in "fixed speed" cruise control. If you're not sure of the buttons, click the two attachments below. To re-engage ICC, press the <cruise on/off> off and back on quickly.

IF you want to read all the BS, continue on...

So far, I'm not liking the ICC involvement with cruise control. I remember asking the salesman if it could be disabled, and he said yes. That was when I was test driving a Platinum, though. And I seem to recall he pushed some button behind the steering wheel (I may be remembering wrong). Maybe the SL doesn't have that option. The only way that I can see to disable it is to turn off VDC, but doing that deactivates cruise control.

There are too many times when the car suddenly slows abruptly and almost gets me rear-ended (I almost think the brakes are being applied by the system) and it's annoying and dangerous. The "sonar" seems to zero in on mailboxes, metal signs, guardrails, telephone poles, a nearby chipmunk eating a nut...and if I'm taking an inside sweeping right corner and an opposing car is coming towards me around their corner, ICC aburptly slows me down thinking, I guess, that a collision is about to happen.

I may end up reading the manual before anyone responds... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
RTFM! ;)

Reactions: Cryogenix1

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
ICC isn't smooth enough for heavy traffic (or safe), it's great otherwise IMO...

BTW, I haven't experienced an of the other issues you mentioned with signs and mailboxes. Plus, I believe the sonars are only activated for parking and rear automatic breaking. The radar units and windshield mounted camera are utilized for everything else. I've only had the collision alert activate when I come up on cars very quickly and come very close, and it's a rare occurrence when driving "normally" :p

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I said sonar, but I wasn't sure what the ICC was using to establish distance from other objects. Is it using the camera mounted within the Nissan badge on the front grille? If so, maybe I'll just put a piece of electrical tape over it. ;)

Yeah, with the mailboxes, there were a number of them on a narrow, paved, winding road, and while under ICC at 35MPH, the car kept slowing down, then going, slowing down, then going, etc. It was really annoying. Maybe I've got an issue with part of the system. Did it no matter what bar/distance setting I used.

I haven't had any audible alerts except when pulling into the garage. I love how the cameras show an all-around, overhead view of MO in realtime. Very cool feature for parking and watching tumbleweeds blow by.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get to it. I need to buy some reading glasses. Looks like small print. I tried pressing and holding the ICC button for various seconds, holding that button and CANCEL for various periods, tried different combinations of other buttons, etc. I thought I could figure it out...but I guess I'll have to read the manual. ;)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Download the PDF version of the manuals. Easier to search, and you can enlarge the text too.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The camera is used for pedestrian detection for emergency braking and road sign recognition, etc. ICC and forward emergency braking utilize the front mounted radar. The side radars are used for cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. The sonars are used for parking and rear automatic braking.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
This vehicle really requires you to study the manual to understand how everything operates, and how to tune it to your preference, IMO...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yeah, with the mailboxes, there were a number of them on a narrow, paved, winding road, and while under ICC at 35MPH, the car kept slowing down, then going, slowing down, then going, etc. It was really annoying. Maybe I've got an issue with part of the system. Did it no matter what bar/distance setting I used.

I haven't had any audible alerts except when pulling into the garage. I love how the cameras show an all-around, overhead view of MO in realtime. Very cool feature for parking and watching tumbleweeds blow by.

That's probably not a situation where ICC performs well...

You need to turn the parking sonars audible alert on in the settings.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uhh.. why not ask "the salesman if it could be disabled, and he said yes."
Uhh... why bother posting a response if you're just gonna be a snide dick about it instead of being helpful?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This vehicle really requires you to study the manual to understand how everything operates, and how to tune it to your preference, IMO...
I know, I skimmed through some of the literature a few nights ago, and a lot of it seems wordy for the sake of being wordy. They can't just get to the point.

I really only read what I end up needing help with. Typically, I don't really care very much about the electronics stuff, which is why I got the stripped-down MO in 2003. I like simplicity. Hold the "cruise on/off" button for longer than 1.5 seconds to enter conventional (regular) cruise control mode with no ICC. Figures...that's about the only button I didn't hold down for any period of time except in unison with other keys. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Uhh... why bother posting a response if you're just gonna be a snide dick about it instead of being helpful?
Wow you sure have a way with words.
My post was actually a suggestion. I've asked my sales person a number of questions after I bought mine. Maybe park your attitude and you'll get more help in life!!! Or do you expect everyone else to do everything for you?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow you sure have a way with words.
My post was actually a suggestion. I've asked my sales person a number of questions after I bought mine. Maybe park your attitude and you'll get more help in life!!! Or do you expect everyone else to do everything for you?
Whatever... If you know the answer, why not just share it? Maybe not everyone cares to read a 100-page manual...that's why they come here. If I knew, I would've posted it for someone else, not been smart-assed about it and said to go ask the salesman. Thanks for nothng.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The camera is used for pedestrian detection for emergency braking and road sign recognition, etc. ICC and forward emergency braking utilize the front mounted radar. The side radars are used for cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. The sonars are used for parking and rear automatic braking.
So if someone painted a speed limit sign to read 85 instead of 65, would the camera display that sign, or do you think it would show a blank, white icon?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I know, I skimmed through some of the literature a few nights ago, and a lot of it seems wordy for the sake of being wordy. They can't just get to the point.
Yeah, the manual has a lot of redundant stuff like warnings, etc. For legal reasons most likely...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
So if someone painted a speed limit sign to read 85 instead of 65, would the camera display that sign, or do you think it would show a blank, white icon?
:rolleyes:

Don't get caught... 😁

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, the manual has a lot of redundant stuff like warnings, etc. For legal reasons most likely...
I wish there was a section in the table of contents that read... "stuff you want to disable." It almost seems that Nissan is making it more convoluted and complex and frustrating to find answers so that people give up before finding them. I paid thousands of dollars for this car...why can't I just hit the "settings" button in my media center and be presented with an A to Z list of items with an "on off" option to select? I realize not all things can be funneled into the media center. Just a broad example. Everything seems convoluted, buried and obscurely worded at times. It shouldn't be this tough. Like the ICC thing. Why not make it so holding the ICC button for 1.5 seconds disables it? That was my first thought and what I tried first. That, to me, makes more sense than saying press and hold the cruise on/off for 1.5 seconds. In my mind, that didn't make sense because I wanted to keep cruise control on, so why push that button? Maybe they should label that button "icc/cruise on/off," since that's what it's really for.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I come from the software development field, I can well understand why software is the way it is... It's complex, with many people involved over an extended period of time...

Just a guess on my part, but I think they want your choice of non-ICC to be a very intentional act, not something that can be done inadvertently or without intention. The reason being once you're accustomed to ICC, not having it could cause you to rear-end somebody if non-ICC was activated without intention... I believe they only added this feature to '19 and on. Probably due to complaints from earlier 3rd gens owners when some radar units were defective and thus disabled any cruise control until the expensive radar unit replaced either under warranty or at the owner's expense...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I said sonar, but I wasn't sure what the ICC was using to establish distance from other objects. Is it using the camera mounted within the Nissan badge on the front grille? If so, maybe I'll just put a piece of electrical tape over it. ;)

The camera in the grille is one of 4 360 parking cameras. The others are in the mirrors and rear license plate area.

If you tape over any of the cameras the software will likely be upset, especially the windshield mounted camera.

The windshield camera does: intelligent lane intervention, pedestrian detection, and road sign recognition, and other functions that aren't coming to mind now...

You can tune the distance sensitivity of the sonars in the settings.

You can also tune the ICC following distance via the up/down ICC steering wheel mounted switch, it has three settings that display as bars on the upper right part of the driver's display.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts